U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2016, 10:09 PM

2,713 posts, read 2,487,054 times

Advertisements

Just curious if anyone in the Baxter Tn. area has heard, or felt a concussion wave, or heard a loud booming sound over the course of the past 3-4 months? Three nights ago we were in bed at 11:25, and the noise happened, shaking the windows, and hitting the side of the house hard enough to frighten my wife into thinking a tree had fell against the house. The next day I called Baxter City Hall, and they had a good chuckle over my concerns. But when I called Putnam County Sheriff Dept. the first thing the dispatcher asked me was if I lived in the South Meade subdivision? It seems the people there have been hearing this strange noise as well, so apparently I'm not imagining it.
The noise usually happens at night, but on rare occasion it happens during the day. About a month ago I was standing in the kitchen, behind an interior wall, and the blast came through the outer wall, and the inner wall, and I felt the air pressure difference in my stomach. It also rattled the windows, as well. It appears to be coming from the direction of Center Hill Lake toward I-40. If anyone has felt or heard anything like this, offer up an opinion, or even better, an answer. It is baffling to me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2016, 05:56 AM

3,179 posts, read 3,902,211 times
Google ''loud boom sound in Tennessee''. You are not the only ones hearing these.

Old 08-22-2016, 04:54 PM

1,748 posts, read 1,413,863 times
Could be an earthquake boom:

Earthquake Booms, Seneca Guns, and Other Sounds

Old 08-22-2016, 05:43 PM

21,407 posts, read 10,958,219 times
Earthquakes my guess. Look up your area on USGS. Could be you notice more at night because of the quiet. Latest Earthquakes

Old 08-22-2016, 11:55 PM

4,533 posts, read 4,029,525 times
Probably a secret project being tested. Mostly at night so no-one sees the evidence. It wont be the first time these things have been tested to the detriment of the people. Look at history. It could also explain the flocks of dying birds and sea animals too.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:50 AM

12,445 posts, read 12,365,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Probably a secret project being tested. Mostly at night so no-one sees the evidence. It wont be the first time these things have been tested to the detriment of the people. Look at history. It could also explain the flocks of dying birds and sea animals too.
Or it could be highway work, or there might be a rock quarry in the area, or there could be a construction zone in the area, or it could be explosives training for the military or police bomb squad. I've heard/felt explosions from all of those scenarios. Why don't people think of the obvious before jumping to the ludicrous?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:03 AM

4,533 posts, read 4,029,525 times
Quote:
Or it could be highway work, or there might be a rock quarry in the area, or there could be a construction zone in the area, or it could be explosives training for the military or police bomb squad. I've heard/felt explosions from all of those scenarios. Why don't people think of the obvious before jumping to the ludicrous?
Sounds like a sonic boom kind-of thing.

Yes, it could be all of the things you suggest, but... here's why it is unlikely. There are guidelines and procedures for doing these things. They generally involve safety of nearby property and citizens. For the people who live nearby, the agencies do not want loads of complaints about their testing/training/etc. They do not want lawsuits for damage and it sounds as if they would get be likely to get these from what the OP says.

Rock quarry blasting is usually done within the quarry area and the shock wave does not normally escape out to the nearby environment.

Testing or training does not usually happen at night since the observers cannot see what it is they are supposed to be being trained on.

Explosive training by military/police is usually done away from populated areas and where the explosive can be detonated safely and where any shock waves are harmless to property and people.

Why do people make up the ludicrous when 'debunking' the obvious?

Old 08-24-2016, 08:15 AM

2,713 posts, read 2,487,054 times
Like some have said here, I first looked at a rational explanation, but considering what we heard, and felt, and the times at which they occurred it makes me think there is something else going on here.

Like ocpaul20 pointed out, there are certain guidelines for things such as blasting in a rock quarry, training exercises, etc. I doubt seriously if, without a previous notice to nearby residents there would be activities such as this, and especially at 11:30 at night. As I said in my original post I called our town's City Hall, and they had not gotten any reports of anything. However, there were reports from an area 15 minutes west of me according to the Putnam Count Sherriff.

It could be rationalized, but wouldn't the authorities have some calls from the general public asking questions?

Old 08-24-2016, 08:20 AM

757 posts, read 446,277 times
Yeah, if it's a quarry scenario, it wouldn't be going off at 11:25 at night like the
OP indicated. If it's anything like the quarry in our area, they should only be
detonating during daytime hours.

I googled the subject, and the initial results seem to point to what's called
"cryoseismic booms", which occur in the ground when frozen water expands
rapidly. But that was during the colder weather back in 2015. Not sure what
would be causing it now, during the summer.

-

Old 08-24-2016, 05:39 PM

12,445 posts, read 12,365,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
...Testing or training does not usually happen at night since the observers cannot see what it is they are supposed to be being trained on.

Explosive training by military/police is usually done away from populated areas and where the explosive can be detonated safely and where any shock waves are harmless to property and people...
You obviously don't know what you're talking about. I live near a military base, and I hear explosions all hours of the day, most often at night. The base is also used to train civilian police forces in bomb disposal. Sometimes these explosions cause my house to shake.

Just because you don't know what you're talking about, don't assume everyone else is in the same boat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal