U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:31 PM

4,648 posts, read 5,393,184 times

Advertisements

In the following video, @27.55, it's said that "and his identity was also known to a level higher than the police force". If so, then it would be a government coverup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NZhlpertFU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 03:42 PM

Podcast by Astonishing Legends:

Tamam Shud – The Somerton Man Mystery

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/a...on-man-mystery

Some say this has more details and evidence than anywhere else.

Last edited by snowmountains; 07-16-2019 at 04:42 PM..

Old 07-16-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
Podcast by Astonishing Legends:

Tamam Shud – The Somerton Man Mystery

https://www.astonishinglegends.com/a...on-man-mystery
Hmmmmm, this is new to me: in Part 2, during interview with Prof. Derek Abbott, he said one of the jockeys who discovered the body saw a man wearing an overcoat walking away. It was early morning, not many people on the beach, and it was a warm day, making it strange for someone to be wearing an overcoat.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic Bird View Post
Also, I don't see it suitable to be put on this forum, it more fits "True crime" forum regardless it's determined to be a crime or not. Since there is a wondering and strangeness, the possibility to be a crime or due to unnatural reasons is high.
That's what I considered when I started this thread. IMO neither true crime nor unexplained mystery forum fits this. We need a forum that is simply "Unsolved mysteries" or "Unsolved cases".

I just finished listening to the podcast I linked in #12 above. I highly recommend you and anyone interested to listen to that. That is the most comprehensive discussion about this case, many parts not mentioned in other sources. The host also interviewed Prof. Abbott (who ended up marrying the woman who is possibly the granddaughter of the Somerton Man, and the couple now have 3 kids!). It has 4 parts and each is more than an hour (some more than 2 hours) long. The last part they summarize the numerous possible theories.

I'll say without listening to that podcast you'd be missing a lot if you are interested in this case.

The podcast mentioned the possible role Kim Philby, the notorious spy, played in the case. Kim Philby was recruited by Arnold Deutsch, a Hungarian working as a Soviet spy.

I found this online post that asked whether the Somerton Man could be Arnold Deutsch. The photos show impressive resemblance between the two (esp. the ears): https://ciphermysteries.com/2014/09/...h-somerton-man

Old 07-20-2019, 07:05 AM

1,972 posts, read 1,171,585 times
[quote=snowmountains;55681115]In the following video, @27.55, it's said that "and his identity was also known to a level higher than the police force". If so, then it would be a government coverup.

If the AU gov't already knows his identity, then they of course would block an exhumation. Especially since DNA can now confirm his identity. Which would open up a whole new can of worms.

I suspect this is a "need to know" situation. Only the little guy, common man desires the truth of his identity.

The truth can only be speculated. IMO

Old 07-20-2019, 01:56 PM

[quote=moxiegal;55717645]
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmountains View Post
In the following video, @27.55, it's said that "and his identity was also known to a level higher than the police force". If so, then it would be a government coverup.

If the AU gov't already knows his identity, then they of course would block an exhumation. Especially since DNA can now confirm his identity. Which would open up a whole new can of worms.

I suspect this is a "need to know" situation. Only the little guy, common man desires the truth of his identity.

The truth can only be speculated. IMO

Yes that's what I now think to be the likely situation, otherwise why is the Australian authority has been so persistent in preventing the exhumation from being carried out? Even though the attorney general said she could offer conditional support, it has never realized.

Old Today, 11:52 AM

829 posts, read 447,889 times
This forum has the statement "Unexplained Mysteries", but because of the of word "and paranormal", any one read a new topic here, would already think there is something belongs to paranormal and that's why OP chose to set it there. that's what I thought when I read your title.
If you read all your links and watch the videos you provided, you will find out that they stated that the reason of the death was due to unnatural causes; they were convinced of that. They stated what might be used but they couldn't emphasize it due to the absence of some signs. That's why I said this thread is more fits "True Crime" forum regardless was proved or not.
I deleted my previous post anyway because I found some info which reported in those sources were not in the same context. Wrong info gives a wrong result.

For example:

In the second link you provided.
Quote:
In 2013, her daughter Kate Thomson said her mother knew the identity of the man on the beach.

“She said to me she knew who he was, but she wasn’t going to let that out of the bag,” she told current affairs show 60 Minutes.
In wiki

Quote:
Thomson's daughter Kate, in a television interview (2014) with 60 Minutes, also said that she believed her mother knew the dead man.
To believe in something is a thing and someone told you is another thing. So, which one of them?
She could believe like others but her mother never told her, and she could believe only because her mother had told her. It's important to be accurate in the term. The difference in both statements is not necessarily from her daughter; it could be from those sources that reported the interview. Furthermore, the year is also different.

I have several notes/wondering on this case but with no answers or details about it, they didn't focus much on some things I stopped on it. (Although I feel I understood what's stated overall, but I'll put a possibility of misunderstanding "language barrier" on my side)

When you go to the lecture (from the links u provided), you will find out that the teacher was speaking about the difference in appearance (physical changes) that will happen AFTER doing an autopsy. So, he said don't go by the general appearance to identify the dead man, because he would be different when he was alive. To emphasize that, he put examples of several persons photos when they were alive and after an autopsy to prove his claim.
Then he stated what you need to exclude of the dead man after an autopsy. In fact, I found that the most important things has been excluded!!!!

I just can't understand why they think they had to take the photo of the dead people AFTER AN AUTOPSY, then say: look they are different, don't go by the general appearance!! why not to simply take the photo of the dead people BEFORE autopsy AS IT IS EXACTLY without any human interference? why to make it difficult for others to identify them?

I don't mean the teacher by my wondering of course, I mean those investigators at that very old time.
Based on this, they wanted people _in order to identify the dead man_ to go by the details with excluding some of the features that got changed AFTER doing an autopsy.

I disagree. I see from that time, they should have taken the photo for the dead man before an autopsy FIRST and then in order to identify him, they should have gone by BOTH details & general appearance.

The dead man in the photo doesn't have eyes after an autopsy, BTW. The teacher in his lecture has stated that, there are other changes also, run the video u provided and watch the other things.

Last edited by Authentic Bird; Today at 12:35 PM.. Reason: to add "Unexplained"

Old Today, 01:59 PM

I found this, probably the most detailed source about the case:

The Ultimate Guide to the Somerton Man Mystery

From the above link:

Items on TSM’s Body
When the enigmatic man was found deceased on the Somerton beach, he had a curious collection of items on his body. He had one unsmoked cigarette tucked behind his ear and another partially smoked cigarette nuzzled between his cheek and his coat’s collar. TSM also had a quarter-full box of matches on him that were particularly difficult for the authorities to find and some Kensitas brand cigarettes in an Army Club brand packet. He also had:
  • A bus ticket to St. Leonards
  • A train ticket to Henley Beach
  • Two combs
  • A handkerchief
  • A pullover (despite the relatively warm weather)
  • A half-full pack of chewing gum
  • A jacket
  • A shirt
  • A tie
  • A pair of trousers
  • A singlet
  • A pair of jockey underpants
  • A pair of socks
  • A pair of shoes (these looked new)
Within TSM’s Suitcase
There were many items found within the suitcase.
The clothing related items included:
  • A pair of slippers
  • Several pairs of jockey style underpants
  • A dressing gown
  • A pair of pyjamas
  • 4 ties
  • 2 singlets,
  • A laundry bag
  • A pair of Marco brand trousers
  • 6 handkerchiefs
  • A tartan design scarf
  • A sports coat
  • 2 coat shirts
  • A shirt
  • 2 coat hangers
  • A button
  • 3 safety pins
  • A card of tan coloured thread
  • A tin of tan coloured boot polish
  • A front collar stud
  • A back collar stud
  • A brown button
A combination of some of the clothes found in TSM’s suitcase and the clothes he was wearing when found deceased.

TSM’s suitcase also contained:
  • A knife in sheath
  • A pair of scissors in sheath
  • A broken pair of scissors
  • A stencil brush
  • An electrician’s screwdriver
  • A piece of zinc
  • A loupe (a tiny circular object)
  • A razor strop
  • A razor
  • A shaving brush
  • A green soap dish
  • A hairpin (this resembled the hairpins typically worn by females. It was found inside the soap dish)
  • A piece of light coloured cord
  • A toothbrush and toothpaste
  • An eraser
  • 6 pencils
  • 2 airmail stickers
  • 9 envelopes, 8 of which were large and 1 which was small. These included squarish shaped envelopes
  • A glass dish
  • A 6d coin found in the pocket of the trousers
  • A cigarette lighter
  • A teaspoon
TSM’s suitcase and the non-clothes items that were found within it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal