U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2019, 07:24 AM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
15,350 posts, read 12,109,955 times
Reputation: 16597

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Again, we understand your position. You’ve made it clear over and over. And over. And over.

But, here’s what you have to understand. Just saying that isn’t going to change any minds. In fact, science has proven when you keep pushing your point on other people, all it does is entrench their opinions in their heads. It’s called cognitive bias, and we all have it.
So essentially what you’re doing is making it worse. You may be trying to “get people to see reason”,
but this will backfire every time.
I just learned something, thanks.

 
Old 07-02-2019, 12:17 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,628 posts, read 3,694,680 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
Again there has never been evidence for anything spiritual. In fact just the opposite which is why belief in the spiritual is going away so fast. I dont know why I have to keep pointing this out. People keep replying to me on here with nothing that addresses this or changes anything.
Because your statements prove nothing, and neither do our statements claiming a belief in God and an afterlife are reasonable. You're not addressing the simple fact that there are a lot of people with backgrounds in science and philosophy who do believe in a God and an afterlife -- and that there are confirmed atheists who have become believers of one sort or another.

https://www.christiantoday.com/artic...eism/61784.htm
https://www.premierchristianity.com/...istian-convert

It's a matter of faith and relationship, not proof. You choose to believe in God or an afterlife, just as you choose to believe your parent or your spouse loves you. You don't know that other people love you or that you love them because of logic -- you take it as a given. Much of what makes our lives worth living has nothing to do with logic or proofs. I don't know why I have to keep pointing this out.
 
Old 07-02-2019, 04:59 PM
 
1,025 posts, read 466,700 times
Reputation: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Because your statements prove nothing, and neither do our statements claiming a belief in God and an afterlife are reasonable. You're not addressing the simple fact that there are a lot of people with backgrounds in science and philosophy who do believe in a God and an afterlife -- and that there are confirmed atheists who have become believers of one sort or another.

https://www.christiantoday.com/artic...eism/61784.htm
https://www.premierchristianity.com/...istian-convert

It's a matter of faith and relationship, not proof. You choose to believe in God or an afterlife, just as you choose to believe your parent or your spouse loves you. You don't know that other people love you or that you love them because of logic -- you take it as a given. Much of what makes our lives worth living has nothing to do with logic or proofs. I don't know why I have to keep pointing this out.
HOW many times do I have to say the same thing over and over and over again?? I do not care about beliefs. beliefs are not reality I only care about reality. That is why you have billions of gods and billions of after lives as it is all man made. And BTW realty is even beliefs in god and an after life are going away at a very rapid rate

Last edited by prhill; 07-02-2019 at 05:15 PM..
 
Old 07-02-2019, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
4,628 posts, read 3,694,680 times
Reputation: 8613
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
HOW many times do I have to say the same thing over and over and over again?? I do not care about beliefs. beliefs are not reality I only care about reality. That is why you have billions of gods and billions of after lives as it is all man made. And BTW realty is even beliefs in god and an after life are going away at a very rapid rate
You're back on my ignore list, prhill. You're not listening to what others are saying -- and you apparently don't care. I have no idea what your goal is in attacking the beliefs of others here over and over again (maybe you don't either), but I'm not playing a part in your psychodrama any more.
 
Old 07-02-2019, 08:41 PM
 
1,025 posts, read 466,700 times
Reputation: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
You're back on my ignore list, prhill. You're not listening to what others are saying -- and you apparently don't care. I have no idea what your goal is in attacking the beliefs of others here over and over again (maybe you don't either), but I'm not playing a part in your psychodrama any more.
Good since you are the one going after me all the time. Glad I did not play your game
 
Old 07-02-2019, 10:56 PM
 
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
5,661 posts, read 2,865,682 times
Reputation: 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by prhill View Post
If there was an after life dont you think it would be obvious especially after all these years? Why has there been no evidence at all in all these centurys? Why dont musicians still make music if they still exist somewhere? Why dont all of our dead loved ones or anyone in generally come and say hey guess what we are still alive? I used to think there might be something after this but after decades of experimenting and researching it finally became so obvious that this like so many other endless other things is just more man made stuff. And now I love and appreciate life so much more because of that.

On top of all of that science has found here is no way for our consciousnesses to exist outside of a physical brain so once the brain dies so does everything we are.
The thing is, there sometimes seems to be suggestive evidence of something that goes beyond the obvious physical. I hesitate to say 'realm'. You know about the egregor effect? That which is created in the mind or group mind and becomes real to the individual or group. This egregor seems to some tangible effect on the individual or group, almost as though it actually exists. Now is this due to some psychical effect or simply the reinforcing effect of the group (or self reinforcing effect in the case of an individual)? Think in terms of gods.
 
Old 07-03-2019, 04:14 AM
 
Location: PRC
2,962 posts, read 3,218,971 times
Reputation: 2743
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy
The thing is, there sometimes seems to be suggestive evidence of something that goes beyond the obvious physical. I hesitate to say 'realm'. You know about the egregor effect? That which is created in the mind or group mind and becomes real to the individual or group. This egregor seems to some tangible effect on the individual or group, almost as though it actually exists. Now is this due to some psychical effect or simply the reinforcing effect of the group (or self reinforcing effect in the case of an individual)? Think in terms of gods.
You seem to be saying it is a thought-form either individually created or group created. That would be awesome because the group/individual could produce anything it wanted to out of thin air.

Wiktionary says this
Quote:
An autonomous psychic entity that is composed of and influencing the thoughts of a group of people.
 
Old 07-03-2019, 05:13 AM
 
1,025 posts, read 466,700 times
Reputation: 758
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
The thing is, there sometimes seems to be suggestive evidence of something that goes beyond the obvious physical. I hesitate to say 'realm'. You know about the egregor effect? That which is created in the mind or group mind and becomes real to the individual or group. This egregor seems to some tangible effect on the individual or group, almost as though it actually exists. Now is this due to some psychical effect or simply the reinforcing effect of the group (or self reinforcing effect in the case of an individual)? Think in terms of gods.
True. The mind is very powerful no doubt. It does not change reality as people into the law of attraction believe but people obviously sure can convince themselves of incredible things with their minds.

Last edited by prhill; 07-03-2019 at 05:29 AM..
 
Old 07-04-2019, 01:54 AM
 
Location: Exeter, NH
5,296 posts, read 4,398,627 times
Reputation: 5677
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I've been researching this stuff for 3 years now--afterlife, NDE's, deathbed visions, spirits, OBE's, ghost boxes--the whole nine yards and I've yet to come across a piece of evidence that is 100% reliable. Is there any?
There is none.
 
Old 07-04-2019, 08:51 AM
 
4,083 posts, read 7,777,551 times
Reputation: 5679
Perhaps there might be indirect indications. I don't know what electricity looks like but I know it's real indirectly through the working lights, machines, etc. Scientists don't know what dark matter looks like but they know it's there indirectly because it can bend lights (gravitational lensing).

Perhaps that chilly, tingling sensation people get once in a while is an indirect indication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top