U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 04:28 PM

4,923 posts, read 2,272,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I've been researching this stuff for 3 years now--afterlife, NDE's, deathbed visions, spirits, OBE's, ghost boxes--the whole nine yards and I've yet to come across a piece of evidence that is 100% reliable. Is there any?
Do you have any of your own experiences that have driven this 3 year quest for proof?

I find that I will launch a huge amount into time & energy of trying to DISPROVE that something actually occured.

I will start with trying to write something off as "wishfull thinking". Even go into flat-out denial for long periods of time ... but the TRULY unexplainable will not go so "quietly into the night".

It will gnaw at me for a bit & then I get frustrated & start searching, Google-ing, reading. I'll fill up my computer data with zillions of documents.

And sometimes I'll come here; to C-D. And say "Help."

Why & what are you researching? Are you really trying to prove? Or are you a bit like me & trying to DISprove?

Old 10-05-2016, 04:52 PM

4,923 posts, read 2,272,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Do you have any of your own experiences that have driven this 3 year quest for proof?

I find that I will launch a huge amount into time & energy of trying to DISPROVE that something actually occured.

I will start with trying to write something off as "wishfull thinking". Even go into flat-out denial for long periods of time ... but the TRULY unexplainable will not go so "quietly into the night".

It will gnaw at me for a bit & then I get frustrated & start searching, Google-ing, reading. I'll fill up my computer data with zillions of documents.

Why & what are you researching? Are you really trying to prove? Or are you a bit like me & trying to DISprove?
And; of COURSE I don't see the below until after I've already quoted/posted ...

Quote:
I be content just to have a spirit sighting or two of a relative. Is that too much to ask? They seem to happen to everybody except me. I have no reason to think Ruth or Miss Hepburn are deceiving us so I believe them when they say they have had such experiences. I feel like Tevya in Fiddler on the Roof: "Lord, would it spoil some vast eternal plan if I saw one spirit, maybe two!"

If I Saw A Spirit (from Fiddler on the Roof)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBHZFYpQ6nc

Maybe your insistance to "see" this relative is what is blocking this relative. Maybe the more you try to use your earthly eyes to see that which is not of this earth is actually "blocking" them somehow.

It's complicated; isn't it? You will be OK; OP. I really feel like the peace you are looking for will find you; you don't have to keep trying so hard to find it.

Old 10-05-2016, 05:19 PM

78,515 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
I've been researching this stuff for 3 years now--afterlife, NDE's, deathbed visions, spirits, OBE's, ghost boxes--the whole nine yards and I've yet to come across a piece of evidence that is 100% reliable. Is there any?
Honestly, OP, if there were a piece of evidence that was 100% reliable, don't you think it would have made front-page news by now?

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-05-2016 at 05:35 PM..

Old 10-05-2016, 10:55 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,566,050 times
When someone who has died, rigor mortis, decayed a bit, stinks, maggots, etc, and comes back to tell me what the afterlife is like, THEN I will believe it. Anything else is just the effect of brain trauma, anesthetics, drugs, over-active imagination, dream state, whatever.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:13 PM

11,225 posts, read 11,251,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

No, none of that applies to me. Quite the opposite I'm trying to find proof it DOES exist. I want to prove to myself I have something to look forward to after wasting my life following Christianity down a blind rat hole for 60-some years. I'd like to know there will be some kind of payoff for all this wasted time instead of just blinkering out and then losing consciousness forever.

But I haven't had the slightest glimmer of anything supernatural happen to me. Far as I can see it's all taken on faith at this point reading all these stories of supernatural stuff going on around me and me getting past by.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
When someone who has died, rigor mortis, decayed a bit, stinks, maggots, etc, and comes back to tell me what the afterlife is like, THEN I will believe it. Anything else is just the effect of brain trauma, anesthetics, drugs, over-active imagination, dream state, whatever.
But they don't come back in the flesh, because they've abando9ned their bag of bones and ooze. But they'll come back in a form that will allow you to recognize them. If you can see them.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:47 PM

Quote:
But I haven't had the slightest glimmer of anything supernatural happen to me. Far as I can see it's all taken on faith at this point reading all these stories of supernatural stuff going on around me and me getting past by.
Aww, don't feel left out, OP. I've been left out in that respect, too, but I don't let it faze me. I enjoy reading the stories. And then, there are the stories (see the thread asking if anyone has kids born around 9/11) about kids who remember their past life. That's very intriguing, too.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:51 PM

215 posts, read 117,899 times
The most persistent of "supernatural" phenomena over the ages has been ghosts. We have now had almost a decade of much of the planet running around with (smartphone) cameras in their pockets. Yet ... not a remarkable image or video. Same goes for UFOs. Or Bigfeet. Or ...

Pretty sure the answer to the OP is binary: Yes or no, and the answer is No.

Funny thing is, I "saw" a ghost when I was a young man, have experienced something like telepathy and have been able to see and read auras. Would love to believe in it all. But ... nah.

My guess is the end comes a lot like going under anesthesia. The big sleep. So enjoy every sandwich!

Old 10-06-2016, 01:21 AM

16,085 posts, read 23,876,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nazz View Post
The most persistent of "supernatural" phenomena over the ages has been ghosts. We have now had almost a decade of much of the planet running around with (smartphone) cameras in their pockets. Yet ... not a remarkable image or video. Same goes for UFOs. Or Bigfeet.

My guess is the end comes a lot like going under anesthesia. The big sleep. So enjoy every sandwich!
Agreed; none of us will be eating sandwiches.....

Can't speak to any photos floating around the net of bigfoot or UFOs; I can assure you theres real images of apparitians, loads of them. True believers have no interest in proving it to the world of skeptics and non- believers.

Old 10-06-2016, 01:56 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,885,336 times
There is zero evidence that is even moderately reliable.

Here's one problem for most ghost/supernatural claims: If ghosts are supposedly non-physical beings, how is it that we can even see them? The human eye sees light that is reflected off of physical substances. If ghosts aren't physical, how is it that light waves could even reflect off of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or