U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-07-2016, 06:28 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
15,729 posts, read 22,797,914 times
Reputation: 17490

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Great! Post up the photos -- we'd love to see them.
I'm sure you would, they'll never be posted to this forum.

A month ago I'd thought about letting my 1920s armoire go and wanted a general idea of selling prices and searched ebay, this photo came up in the search.

Lol...for your debunking entertainment....

What Reliable Evidence Is There For The Supernatural/Afterlife?-_3.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-07-2016, 10:55 AM
 
Location: Somewhere in deep in Maine
3,484 posts, read 2,543,560 times
Reputation: 4217
There is no reliable evidence for those who only think in terms of physical, nor will there ever be any. The spiritual exists outside the physical plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,768 posts, read 2,601,819 times
Reputation: 5832
Quote:
Originally Posted by slyfox2 View Post
There is no reliable evidence for those who only think in terms of physical, nor will there ever be any. The spiritual exists outside the physical plane.
What is the proof for this who do not think in terms of the physical?

Really I do not mind people believing or having a belief system that has no scientific basis.

What I do take offense to is that people will try to use their belief system to feel superior and that those who do not believe are less intelligent in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 11:43 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
4,018 posts, read 1,788,205 times
Reputation: 13833
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yeah, I'd like to get the pants scared off me, Ruth. Do you have a link? It's might not be a pretty sight, however so I advise you to look the other way when the pants come off.

Well; I'm not Ruth but I contributed to the "pants off" thread also. Here's the link:

Want to get the pants scared off you?

You don't have to worry about your pants on my account !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 01:26 PM
 
Location: Nebraska
4,222 posts, read 7,000,574 times
Reputation: 6603
". . .
There are excellent explanations for the existence of stars that don't require invoking a god. I think nature is beautiful and majestic, but I think the scientific account of its formation makes it even more beautiful.

I disagree with your main point, though: I could be convinced that a god exists. A beautiful night sky wouldn't do it, though. It would take a well-reasoned solution to the numerous philosophical arguments against god's existence and an at least moderately-compelling argument in favor of his existence.""

What is Science?
I think Science is a study of RULES that the CREATOR (GOD) put in place to allow order in the Universe. The study of the method he used to create the Universe and everything in it is going to be keeping MANKIND busy for all eternity. I believe there is life after death and in the next life we will have the time (eternity) and the tools to study the wonders of GOD'S creation. What an adventure that will be!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 01:43 PM
 
Location: between Mars and Venus
1,524 posts, read 780,423 times
Reputation: 2012
There is no way to know a reliable evidence even if there is, because there is no sure way to proof it. Same as when you encounter these happenings you just cannot explain it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 03:13 PM
 
2,274 posts, read 1,227,191 times
Reputation: 4522
When you look at human achievement from about ~4000 BC (around when the wheel was invented) to now, it's always amazed me just how many civilizations had ideas about deities, supernatural things they could not explain, etc.

It took us basically 6000 years to go from the wheel to landing on the moon. During all that time, we've made huge gains in understanding the physical universe, but our understanding or knowledge of the metaphysical I would argue is still in its infancy.

I'm an atheist, do not believe in ghosts or other superstitions of any kind, and generally believe that there is a scientific explanation for just about everything. However, there are still plenty of things that can and have happened that science cannot explain, that we still refer to as a "miracle" of some sort. This could be due to our limited understanding of the sciences involved, or it could be something else entirely. Because of that, while I'm a skeptic of all things supernatural, I leave the door open that there may be more to our world than we've figured out.

I had an example once in my life that still puzzles me. My grandmother was on her deathbed (or so we thought) back in 2006. She was in the hospital, eyes closed, barely hanging on, was not talking or communicating very much, sometimes days would go by without any response, just sleeping. She was resuscitated twice during a period of 3-4 weeks. One day I went to visit her and I squeezed her hand, and started talking to her about how she was doing, how I was doing, etc. I got up to go and I told her to hang in there, and she opened her eyes and said "I promise not to go until after I meet Jamie."

Now, I didn't know any Jamie. I assumed she was talking about someone else she knew, like a grandchild or something (she had a few she hadn't met at that point and I didn't remember their names.) So I didn't think much of it. Asked my mother who she was talking about, she didn't know either.

Anyway, two years later, I met my future wife, Jamie. My grandmother had recovered by then and was still mentally capable, she'd had no issues with Alzheimers or anything of the sort, and I took my then girlfriend to meet her.

My grandmother gave her a big smile and said "It's nice to see you again." This threw off my gf of course, because they'd never met. Threw me off a little too, I thought she must have mistaken her for someone else. My mother as well, chalked it up to just being a bit confused, but as I said, her mind was still there, so it seemed very out of character.

At the time, I had completely forgotten about what she had said on her death bed, but later I remembered it and it gave me chills. When she met my wife, she was completely lucid and the look on her face wasn't confused at all, she looked like she KNEW who she was.

I have no way to explain it, coincidences only go so far. It just seems that there's too many to just explain away, and that's what gets to me. Getting the name right two years earlier? While I suppose it's possible she wasn't talking about my Jamie at all, there's no one else that she knew with that name, so it just doesn't make sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 03:46 PM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
4,018 posts, read 1,788,205 times
Reputation: 13833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
". . .
There are excellent explanations for the existence of stars that don't require invoking a god. I think nature is beautiful and majestic, but I think the scientific account of its formation makes it even more beautiful.

I disagree with your main point, though: I could be convinced that a god exists. A beautiful night sky wouldn't do it, though. It would take a well-reasoned solution to the numerous philosophical arguments against god's existence and an at least moderately-compelling argument in favor of his existence.""

What is Science?
I think Science is a study of RULES that the CREATOR (GOD) put in place to allow order in the Universe. The study of the method he used to create the Universe and everything in it is going to be keeping MANKIND busy for all eternity. I believe there is life after death and in the next life we will have the time (eternity) and the tools to study the wonders of GOD'S creation. What an adventure that will be!
You "could be convinced"?

I feel as though you sound like you already do. I like what you wrote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-07-2016, 07:47 PM
 
10,191 posts, read 10,558,743 times
Reputation: 3020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronicka View Post
It is something you pretty much have to see for yourself.

The way things really work isn't how we think, or how many of the stories go. There are things we are unable to comprehend so we get stories and experiences.

Personally, I have guides and they have proven to me that they are real. That is the only thing I know for sure. We do have guidance, whether that is God or Higher Self or a lowly Guide, whatever you experience is fine because there is flexibility and you will be shown what it is appropriate for you to see. Interpretation is a different story.

You know what you experience, and you know that it is something you could not possibly do, or know ahead of time. Even if you have communication with your guidance that doesn't prove anything except there is something or someone who meddles.

I try to keep it simple and I don't ask for answers about how the universe works because the answer is "You will never know" That is why it is so hard to prove scientifically. We aren't supposed to know, but we get understanding and experiences and teachings but not hard evidence, though quantum physics and string theory does show evidence of things being possible that were thought to be science fiction.

If I was looking for proof, that is where I would look.

If you want an experience, that is easy to make happen. I work with that kind of stuff all the time but never with the spirits of those who once were alive. I am not allowed to venture into that realm.

If a medium were to read me, they would only see my guides, not my departed loved ones. This is how it is for me because I am banned from that experience. There is a good reason for it. I might get a message, but it will be from guidance and not from the consciousness of a departed soul.

My guides were kind enough to show me proof that they are not figments of my imagination. I am not smart enough to make that stuff up. They know everything about everything but they won't tell me much, just a bit, but that bit is years of training. I am also very careful to take everything with a grain of salt, and not jump to conclusions about anything. I tend to believe in certain common topics and disbelieve others. Even if I disagree with theory, I never disagree with what a person experiences.

I do know that people have unique experiences that are very real to them. They may be shown or taught something that is relevant to their own storyline, but is not usually a universal truth. Concluding what the experience means is what causes disagreements because they prove nothing. They only prove that things happen that can't be explained. The very existence of the 'impossible' proves that there are possibles, or maybe that we don't know everything there is to know.

It is ok to say "We don't know"........We can gather clues and theorize but proof is illusive for a reason.
Not so easy to make happen and in my case downright impossible. I've called on spirit guides innumerable times while alone. I've called on demons and dared them to show me some sign they are real.

Nothing.

If I do have spirit guides they sure are standoffish, and if there are demons they sure as hell are big cowards. What demon worth his salt would turn down a challenge to manifest himself?

The biggest detriment to belief is total lack of some sort of manifestation of something supernatural whatever it might be, even just a glass tipping over by itself or a spoon scooting across a table.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-08-2016, 02:12 AM
 
997 posts, read 513,902 times
Reputation: 2278
I have never seen a glass tipping over by itself or a spoon scooting across a table.

I have had weird things happen where it causes friction. One person says "I didn't do that, you must have done that. Here is the proof" the other person says "I didn't do that" Things so missing and then they turn up. You think you misplaced it. Subtle things like that are more likely to occur, because there is a reason for it. Making things look a certain way because of the physical evidence is a little trick that we are not aware of, but that could be a little manipulation. Think about that, or keep it in mind.

I have seen things, like ghosts but not exactly. They weren't dead people, they were guides that I know but they had physical form. The strange thing about that is they are someone elses guides but they came in through the back door to have a meeting. We did and they weren't scary because I know them. The funny thing was that unbenownst to me, the person who has these guides was sleeping in front of my house at the time. He was taking a little nap in my bushes.

I would normally see these guides as visions and communicate with them that way. Kind of like a waking dream. That is easier for me, and no less effective. That experience was helpful because I saw the 'guides' as being made up of bundles of energy and that makes it easier to relate to what other people see. How can I understand it if I haven't experienced it.

I see images, and get clues and I know my guides and can communicate in many different ways. Everybody has that but it is done in subtle ways, so we are not even aware of the communication.

Try paying attention to your intuition and gut feeling and see where that leads you. Not everybody gets a big firework display or even needs that. How helpful is watching a spoon slide across a table? It's not.

I don't know about you, but I don't want a poltergeist. I would prefer not to have to deal with that unless I had a polstermaid to clean up the mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top