U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 01:59 AM

2,962 posts, read 3,218,971 times

Advertisements

thrillobyte, if you need this kind of proof or experience then maybe join a ghost-hunting group. There are many around and most will occasionally experience something along the paranormal lines. You will probably find both good ghosties or bad ghosties so you should be able to find out how you react to both.

Old Guard in this post
Quote:
What I do take offense to is that people will try to use their belief system to feel superior and that those who do not believe are less intelligent in some way.
I am sure if you try hard you will be able to understand just how many people do this. You must be offended at all the millions of them too. Think of all the religious people. Do you know any religious people who do NOT feel superior to others who do not believe the same things they do? In their hearts they feel like they are 'safe', saved from hell and damnation and others need the same good news and safety from Hell they have. So I might argue with the 'less intelligent' part (since there are plenty of intelligent spiritual people) and make it a 'less fortunate' perhaps. Less fortunate to have not found the nugget of belief gold which they themselves have found.

By the way, this also applies to a feeling of superiority over those folks, poor souls, who believe in the paranormal rather than the world of strictly physical matter and scientific reality. Dont you agree, Old Guard?

Gunluvver2
Quote:
What is Science?
I think Science is a study of RULES that the CREATOR (GOD) put in place to allow order in the Universe. The study of the method he used to create the Universe and everything in it is going to be keeping MANKIND busy for all eternity. I believe there is life after death and in the next life we will have the time (eternity) and the tools to study the wonders of GOD'S creation. What an adventure that will be!
I tend to agree with you, however, the rules which belief systems project onto people are NOT the ones we should be obeying or studying. We need to look higher and further for the rules which run the Universe NOT the rules which we are told 'should' run mankind.

If we did this, we would understand and become wise in a truly spiritual sense not an academic or religious sense, and we would probably not be raping and plundering the Earth either. The religious scholars know nothing because they study the rules and restictions which have been placed on man to control man.

What we need to understand is why and where and how the Universe all hangs together and thats not an astrophysics subject and it is certainly not a religious subject either. If we lived by these rules we would not need the petty mankind rules and laws because we would be living by spiritual rules and we would understand the universal consequences of breaking them.

Old 10-08-2016, 08:11 AM

4,852 posts, read 2,902,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I am sure if you try hard you will be able to understand just how many people do this. You must be offended at all the millions of them too. Think of all the religious people. Do you know any religious people who do NOT feel superior to others who do not believe the same things they do?
I actually know lots. Many of the religious people I know do not even speak about it.
Quote:
In their hearts they feel like they are 'safe', saved from hell and damnation and others need the same good news and safety from Hell they have.
I do not think it is that simple. I do not know many people that are religious that seem to do if for this. They seem to do it because "it us what is right".
Quote:
So I might argue with the 'less intelligent' part (since there are plenty of intelligent spiritual people) and make it a 'less fortunate' perhaps. Less fortunate to have not found the nugget of belief gold which they themselves have found.
A lot of religious people I know worry about how they themselves can be better and will offer to help others. They do not seem to be condescending. There are people that proclaim to be religious that are hypocrites but they are usually easy to spot.
Quote:
By the way, this also applies to a feeling of superiority over those folks, poor souls, who believe in the paranormal rather than the world of strictly physical matter and scientific reality. Dont you agree, Old Guard?
No, I disagree. People who say things like "You can never understand" and will not discuss or provide proof are just in it to feel better about themselves. It is a cop out to call all other people stupid and not be able to provide proof or back your proof.

I go back to where you said "Silence is an admission of being wrong". That is where I lose the respect.

To clarify I respect people like Versatile who believe and do not use it as a way to make themselves look better than others. I do not respect others that use it to feel better about themselves. Especially ones that cherry pick information and call it evidence yet ignore things that discredit their claims.

Last edited by Old Guard; 10-08-2016 at 08:31 AM..

Old 10-08-2016, 09:56 AM

11,225 posts, read 11,251,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
When you look at human achievement from about ~4000 BC (around when the wheel was invented) to now, it's always amazed me just how many civilizations had ideas about deities, supernatural things they could not explain, etc.

It took us basically 6000 years to go from the wheel to landing on the moon. During all that time, we've made huge gains in understanding the physical universe, but our understanding or knowledge of the metaphysical I would argue is still in its infancy.

I'm an atheist, do not believe in ghosts or other superstitions of any kind, and generally believe that there is a scientific explanation for just about everything. However, there are still plenty of things that can and have happened that science cannot explain, that we still refer to as a "miracle" of some sort. This could be due to our limited understanding of the sciences involved, or it could be something else entirely. Because of that, while I'm a skeptic of all things supernatural, I leave the door open that there may be more to our world than we've figured out.

I had an example once in my life that still puzzles me. My grandmother was on her deathbed (or so we thought) back in 2006. She was in the hospital, eyes closed, barely hanging on, was not talking or communicating very much, sometimes days would go by without any response, just sleeping. She was resuscitated twice during a period of 3-4 weeks. One day I went to visit her and I squeezed her hand, and started talking to her about how she was doing, how I was doing, etc. I got up to go and I told her to hang in there, and she opened her eyes and said "I promise not to go until after I meet Jamie."

Now, I didn't know any Jamie. I assumed she was talking about someone else she knew, like a grandchild or something (she had a few she hadn't met at that point and I didn't remember their names.) So I didn't think much of it. Asked my mother who she was talking about, she didn't know either.

Anyway, two years later, I met my future wife, Jamie. My grandmother had recovered by then and was still mentally capable, she'd had no issues with Alzheimers or anything of the sort, and I took my then girlfriend to meet her.

My grandmother gave her a big smile and said "It's nice to see you again." This threw off my gf of course, because they'd never met. Threw me off a little too, I thought she must have mistaken her for someone else. My mother as well, chalked it up to just being a bit confused, but as I said, her mind was still there, so it seemed very out of character.

At the time, I had completely forgotten about what she had said on her death bed, but later I remembered it and it gave me chills. When she met my wife, she was completely lucid and the look on her face wasn't confused at all, she looked like she KNEW who she was.

I have no way to explain it, coincidences only go so far. It just seems that there's too many to just explain away, and that's what gets to me. Getting the name right two years earlier? While I suppose it's possible she wasn't talking about my Jamie at all, there's no one else that she knew with that name, so it just doesn't make sense.
But did she pass away shortly after meeting Jamie like she said?

Old 10-08-2016, 12:33 PM

78,515 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Insurance covering acupuncture is a product of the laws of our country. Insurance also covers chiropractic care, but that doesn't mean chiropractic care isn't mostly pseudoscience as well. The issue of insurance coverage and alternative medicine is a legal one, not a medical one.

You are incorrect about any sort of acupuncture being accepted medical practice. Study after study has shown that acupuncture cannot produce results above and beyond a placebo effect..
Actually, studies have shown that acupuncture does have an effect in treating certain conditions. Medical acupuncture isn't considered "alternative medicine". Oriental acupuncture is, but western Medical Acupuncture isn't.

Old 10-08-2016, 12:36 PM

78,515 posts, read 70,430,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Yeah...Whats your opin on the difference in NDEs though? Agree with your post science will one day know.
Here's Dr. Pim Van Lommel, a cardiologist who finally gave up denying that his patients' NDE's were real, and launched a research project into the phenom. You can read more about it in his book, "Consciousness After Death".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kDNpDLSv8g

Old 10-08-2016, 01:07 PM

806 posts, read 567,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I be content just to have a spirit sighting or two of a relative. Is that too much to ask? They seem to happen to everybody except me. I have no reason to think Ruth or Miss Hepburn are deceiving us so I believe them when they say they have had such experiences. I feel like Tevya in Fiddler on the Roof: "Lord, would it spoil some vast eternal plan if I saw one spirit, maybe two!"

URL]
You are actively blocking any possibiliity to be contacted by your stance of 'demanding the proof'.

You won't get any. You have to change your approach and only then - maybe - you will getu any sign of the contact.
Maybe
First you have to lose the most beloved one.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:16 PM

997 posts, read 577,853 times
One thing I think is really weird is the Mandela Effect.

The Mandela Effect : snopes.com

It's not proof of anything but it is something that most people experience for themselves once they learn about it. There are some things that I think could be explained in a rational way but there are a few that I clearly remember as being a certain way and there was a retroactive change somewhere, or so it seems.

The explanation for it could be anything and I wouldn't jump to conclusions but someone or something is messing with our timeline, or with our heads. It is collective, not just a handful of people are affected, everybody is in some way.

Old 10-08-2016, 01:36 PM

Mandela effect? Have never heard of it, must be a 'new thing' ))))

Old 10-08-2016, 01:38 PM

Adding after reading the article - hard to attribute the collective low educational and/or informational level to anything paranormal

Old 10-08-2016, 02:54 PM

4,628 posts, read 3,694,680 times
Note this quote from the Snopes article on the Mandela Effect:

Quote:
A leading psychological theory holds that memory is constructive, not reproductive — i.e., the brain builds memories out of various bits and pieces of information on the fly as opposed to playing them back like a recording. Memories aren't pure. They can be distorted by any number of factors, including bias, association, imagination, and peer pressure.
There's past and ongoing research backing all this up: "...the reconstructive process of memory recall is subject to distortion by other intervening cognitive functions such as individual perceptions, social influences, and world knowledge, all of which can lead to errors during reconstruction..."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reconstructive_memory

Read in particular the description of the Disneyland experiment here:

Riegler A. (2005) Constructive Memory
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or