Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 02:30 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But every time someone mentions The Mothman, I can't help but picture this:
I envision something like the Monarch from the Venture Bros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 03:07 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey27520 View Post
Have you seen the movie The Mothman Prophecies? I thought it was a good movie. I passed through Point Pleasant this past year. The Mothman Museum was interesting.

Loved the movie. I had no idea that there was a Mothman Museum in Point Pleasant. My husband does business their quite a bit. Next time he is anywhere near P.P. I think I'll hitch a ride.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:10 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
West Virginia. Seems it is again making the rounds. A show about a 2009-2012 incident was recently on Paranormal Witness: True Terror. Apparently, it stopped when they went away.

This one is freaky. It appears to be some kind of interdimensional and or multi-frequency entity, and can control the environment around it, once it makes a connection. Your all thoughts?

I have no idea what the Mothman is. Alien. Supernatural. Native American. It's a fascinating topic, though, and I hope they repeat that episode of Paranormal Witness.

Old 10-22-2016, 02:27 AM

4,657 posts, read 4,115,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
West Virginia. Seems it is again making the rounds. A show about a 2009-2012 incident was recently on Paranormal Witness: True Terror. Apparently, it stopped when they went away.

This one is freaky. It appears to be some kind of interdimensional and or multi-frequency entity, and can control the environment around it, once it makes a connection. Your all thoughts?
Actually, I am fairly certain that it was proven to be an owl.

Mothman Revisited:? Investigating on Site - CSI

When people see things out of context and are startled, they often perceive them as bigger than they are, especially at night when the sense of danger is heightened. No need for inter-dimensional beings (by the way, do you know what a dimension is?), owls do just fine to explain this one, since there was an aviary nearby.

POST SCRIPT: As a work of fiction, I loved the movie.

Last edited by cachibatches; 10-22-2016 at 02:35 AM..

Old 10-22-2016, 10:40 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I envision something like the Monarch from the Venture Bros.
Who?

Old 10-22-2016, 10:43 AM

1,180 posts, read 777,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Actually, I am fairly certain that it was proven to be an owl.

Mothman Revisited:? Investigating on Site - CSI

When people see things out of context and are startled, they often perceive them as bigger than they are, especially at night when the sense of danger is heightened. No need for inter-dimensional beings (by the way, do you know what a dimension is?), owls do just fine to explain this one, since there was an aviary nearby.

POST SCRIPT: As a work of fiction, I loved the movie.
Hmmm...

Quote:
Here then is the question separating the mystifiers from the skeptics: Is it more likely that there has long been a previously undiscovered giant species among the order strigiformes (owls), or that some people suddenly encountering a “monster†at night have misjudged its size? The latter possibility is supported by the principle of Occam’s razor, that the simplest tenable explanation is to be preferred as most likely correct. The principle seems especially applicable to the case of Mothman.
The extreme skeptic posts are usually amongst the most helpful, since it gives the other extreme of what otherwise cannot be explained.

I believe the truth is likely something else. What I saw on Paranormal Witness.. was either them two making something up, OR something truly terrifying.

[img][/img]

Quote:
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity,"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon%27s_razor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

Old 10-22-2016, 12:00 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,935,908 times
A lot of times a "fable" character - i.e. Bigfoot, Loch Ness Yeti etc... are based on real life things....

Take the Yeti.... A lot of people believe it is based on the Gigantopithecus ape that was around supposedly up until a couple of thousand years ago.... Scientists even believe it could still be in the vast reaches of the Himalayas and far reaches of China....

Nessie - is based on a prehistoric Plesiosauria, which some believe could still be alive and living in underwater cavern systems....

Big Foot is supposed to be based on Gigantopithecus as well. Experts site that it could have roamed between continents back when it was easy to travel based on weather (ice, snow, un-eroded peninsulas)....

Mothman could be based on something as tame as a mutated bird (the area WAS a munitions factory with chemicals), or it could be something else.. With the reports of Men in Black it could also have been a covert government operation that wanted people to stay away from that area.... Which could also be experimenting with birds and mutations....

So anything could be possible... Look at some of the recent species found that were thought to be extinct.....

Old 10-22-2016, 02:35 PM

4,657 posts, read 4,115,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCpl2 View Post
A lot of times a "fable" character - i.e. Bigfoot, Loch Ness Yeti etc... are based on real life things....

Take the Yeti.... A lot of people believe it is based on the Gigantopithecus ape that was around supposedly up until a couple of thousand years ago.... Scientists even believe it could still be in the vast reaches of the Himalayas and far reaches of China.........

Yeti is not based on Gigantopithecus. The only thing ever found from Gigantopithecus is a jaw bone. No one has ever seen one nor even the skeleton of one.

Quote:
Nessie - is based on a prehistoric Plesiosauria, which some believe could still be alive and living in underwater cavern systems...
No. Plesiosaurs are not a viable species today...their design went extinct for a reason. They are not surviving in Loch Ness, which could not support a breeding population, certainly not unseen. Loch Ness did not even exist in the times of dinosaurs, but was made by glaciers, so how the hell would it get there, walk? The legend of Nessie is sustained by odd logs that have fallen in the water, ordinary deinizons of the lake swmming in formation, rip tides, possibly an occasional oversized sturgeon or eel, and maybe, just maybe, the occasional Greenland shark that made it up the channel.

Quote:
Big Foot is supposed to be based on Gigantopithecus as well. Experts site that it could have roamed between continents back when it was easy to travel based on weather (ice, snow, un-eroded peninsulas) ...
Even more ridiculous than yeti. Not only is there no fossil record of a biped ape in North America, there is no fossil record of ANY ape in North America. Besides, what would it eat in the winter? Apes are tropical, you know.

Quote:
Mothman could be based on something as tame as a mutated bird (the area WAS a munitions factory with chemicals), or it could be something else.. With the reports of Men in Black it could also have been a covert government operation that wanted people to stay away from that area.... Which could also be experimenting with birds and mutations.......
Its just an owl. There was an aviary nearby. Some owls can have wing spans of five feet, and people naturally exaggerate sizes in their minds when startled.

Quote:
So anything could be possible... Look at some of the recent species found that were thought to be extinct.....
Indeed, there may well be wonderful new species to be discovered, such as the sub species of chimp now known as the Billie Ape.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bili_ape

It would be nice if folks would concentrate on finding these rather than fantasy species.

Look, people have been looking for some of the things you are talking about for over 100 years. They have not been found because they do not exist. It is not because they are shy, retiring, intelligent, rare, magical, mysterious, a spirit, an alien, or anything else. It is because they don't exist.

As for Mothman, its an owl.

I really, really like this picture, by the way.

Last edited by cachibatches; 10-22-2016 at 02:43 PM..

Old 10-22-2016, 04:20 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
It's an old movie, the only part I can think of at the present moment is where two people are in a car and the bridge collapses? I also remember it was ummmm.. the guy that starred in' "The officer and a gentleman"? - Richard Geer ( Gads I hate when I can't think of something as easy as that) Also remember mothman was always by a streetlight. ( moonlight, maybe)
The Mothman Prophecies (starring Richard Gere and Debra Messing) came out in 2002 -- not an old movie at all. It was a good one.

Old 10-22-2016, 04:22 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,936,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
As for Mothman, its an owl.
A sandhill crane that wandered off its migration route has also been suggested as an explanation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal