Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 11-17-2016, 09:24 AM
 
1,180 posts, read 781,141 times
Reputation: 538

Advertisements

coschristi: Did this experience scare you to your core?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-17-2016, 10:02 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
9,511 posts, read 6,128,382 times
Reputation: 28841
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAcapulco View Post
coschristi: Did this experience scare you to your core?
Possibly. It was just so out of context with my reality.

I guess if I were a Cryptozoologist or a Paranormal enthusiast I would have been elated. But I'm not. I'm a boring housewife with kids in Colorado.

I was up late, the house felt stuffy & I stepped outside for a breath of fresh air. It's safe to say I believe I startled it as much as it startled me. It acted EXACTLY the way any ordinary bird would have acted upon being startled.

And it was so quick. If the force from the air under his wings would have knocked me forward onto my face vs backwards into the door I may not have ever seen him. His screech was so ... prehistoric. Nothing like anything I have heard from anything on TV or at a zoo.

I know thats why I didn't speak about it for so long. It wasn't really fear of being ridiculed. More like a defense mechanism; I couldn't afford the daily distraction of being consumed by what I saw.

Now, 10 years later, I have "gone through the process", so to speak. I let myself be consumed by it but on a more scientific level vs a spiritual one. Starting out with baby steps: "OK. If this is real & alive; it has to ... eat. What is it eating?"

The link to the cattle-mutilations was accidental. My sighting of him coincided with a rash of cattle mutilations in our local area. The second I knew what I was looking at when seeing a picture of a dead prize-heifer in Los Animas County, stripped of oral membrane skin down to the genitals, lying with all it's bones shattered as if it had been dropped ... my hair stood on end.

I now knew what it ate. My next step has to be contacting the Las Animas County Sherriffs Dept. Not for the reward they are offering to help solve these incidents (these cows are the life-blood of the ranchers & they are not amused) but just because they are wasting alot of time & money investigating Cults & UFO's.

My fear has transitioned into concern & confusion.

I'm not a Native American. This would have meant alot to a Native who held fast to the traditions of their culture.

And it's been 10 years. I have an almost "Stockholm Syndrome" connection with this bird now. I'm worried for him. I'm afraid he will be found & killed.

I guess thats silly. This bird was very much alive & real. It has obviously learned how to avoid us humans. Maybe it's been here longer than we have.

Every night for 10 years ; I look "UP" first when stepping outside. It's become second nature. Now; I find myself scanning the skies at night thinking "Please be OK. Please don't die."
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2016, 12:35 PM
 
1,664 posts, read 3,962,960 times
Reputation: 1879
Is Sesame Street on Ice back in town? Starring Big Bird?
Well, I suppose wildlife would be terrified of a giant, talking yellow ostrich?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2016, 01:22 PM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
9,511 posts, read 6,128,382 times
Reputation: 28841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Trails View Post
Is Sesame Street on Ice back in town? Starring Big Bird?
Well, I suppose wildlife would be terrified of a giant, talking yellow ostrich?
Ha; thats funny because the very first time I sat down at a computer to start looking stuff up I typed "Big Bird" into Google ... & got the big yellow guy!

Same thing happens when you enter "Giant Bird" "Huge Bird" & "Large Bird".
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2016, 06:00 PM
 
9,588 posts, read 5,060,041 times
Reputation: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Thanks for the laughs, everybody! I'm not even kidding; it IS funny!

The year 2006 was somewhat unusual for me. In October after dropping some dinner off at my husbands work I had my first "Green Fireball" scare. It was a massive, molten looking sphere of green/blue flames that dropped slowly out of the sky & literally disappeared about 100ft overhead.

This particular event was not a "lone" sighting; the reports were all over our local news that night. The Meteorologist chalked it up to being an "active time of year" in our area. What was not explained was the "flock" of Black Hawk helicopters that came chasing after it. But; whatever.

About 3 months later I startled something that was on top of my house when I stepped out onto my porch late at night. I AM a "wierd magnet" but this was top-notch THE WIERDEST thing that I have EVER seen in my life. I didn't even talk about for almost a year after.

I heard what I thought was bricks crumbling off the chimney so obviously I put my hands up over my head & tried to grab for the doorknob so I could duck back inside the house.

Before I had a chance there was this rippling sound ... You know there are some places of buisness that fly those ridiculously large American flags (annoying because they are so obvious)? If you have ever been underneath one in a strong wind then you know what sound I am reffering too; a rippling or unfurling sound.

Then; BOOM. Sounded like thunder. It popped my eardrums & this percussion knocked me backwards into my door. I looked up in time to see a massive shillouette of a bird rise with outstretched wings off my house.

If it would have still been on my roof it would have measured a wingspan of almost 30 ft (judging from the east side of my house to almost clearing the attached garage).

Then it screeched as it flew but it was a piercing & almost prehistoric sounding "croak". And it was gone.

I didn't speak of it for a year. Then I started researching it with a passion.

I found 1 report from a woman in Pueblo, CO (about 45 miles south) who had seen something similar while out driving late at night. I was unable to compare my audible experience though; as she had been inside her car.

All of the reports of unexplained activity in our area seemed to focus on one thing (& annoyingly so): The recent rash of Cattle Mutilations that have plagued our southern colorado ranchers for years.

I was looking for a giant bird & all I could find were stupid dead cows.

And Las Animas County Sherriffs office offering a reward for information with a report saying they were not very hopeful. Running theory was either Satanic Cults or Aliens. Because the cows were being found in trees. Over power lines. Or on the ground but with their bones shattered as if they had had been taken up high & then dropped ...

Suddenly; I realized that I WAS looking at "reports" or evidence of a giant bird.

I won't bore you with all of my admitedly "maniacal" research. I know; it's wierd.

My husband was wondering aloud today about our "Urban Deer" & why they moved so far into town during the full moon. When I said "Because the WC Fire burnt the forest canopy making it easier to be hunted during a full moon ..." & he thought I was talking about Poachers! He said "Poachers are not renting aircraft to hunt the deer!" I said "I know. The bird is back"

...& he laughed at me for about 5 minutes straight! It's OK, really. If it would not have happened to me I'm sure I would be rolling my eyes too.

(Please entertain me to explain the "bird is BACK" comment: Another reason the cattle mutilations were thought to be UFO related is due to their being clustered around the latitude 37. Latitude 37 is commonly known to UFO enthusiasts as "The Paranormal Freeway"; both cattle mutilations & UFO activity seem to gravitate towards this marker. Except ...Latitude 37 also makes up a large path of an established Migratory Path for birds. Meaning if what I saw was a real bird; it may be migratory & not actually here all the time; instead just hunting & eating along his path like all the other birds do)

I saw the green fireballs on two separate nights, a few months apart. I was watching what I thought was a falling star coming home from work, and suddenly my "star" that was moving so fast, did a checkmark like maneuver and my jaw dropped. Just then I saw why. It was dodging the green fire ball that was coming into it's flight path. The next time I saw the fireball it was "alone". I googled green fireball and found that they had been seen in 3 States, including mine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2016, 11:38 PM
 
Location: PRC
6,985 posts, read 6,907,840 times
Reputation: 6546
Quote:
The link to the cattle-mutilations was accidental. My sighting of him coincided with a rash of cattle mutilations in our local area. The second I knew what I was looking at when seeing a picture of a dead prize-heifer in Los Animas County, stripped of oral membrane skin down to the genitals, lying with all it's bones shattered as if it had been dropped ... my hair stood on end.

I now knew what it ate. My next step has to be contacting the Las Animas County Sherriffs Dept. Not for the reward they are offering to help solve these incidents (these cows are the life-blood of the ranchers & they are not amused) but just because they are wasting alot of time & money investigating Cults & UFO's.
Although I see the connection between the marks left at the cattle mutillation sites and the marks in your roof, I do not see how this bird is eating the cattle. I do not think you know what it eats.

Looking at this logically, these cattle are being cut up with surgical precision, not torn up by something with a beak or jaws. An eye, a cored rectum, an udder, and an ear from a dead cow is not going to help this huge bird survive and it would need at least a whole cow each few days to sustain itself. Where are the carcasses? Where is the bird droppings? As I said in the other thread, I do not think there is any correllation between this bird, if it exists, and the cattle mutillations.

Just because we have a similar indentation found in the ground near to some of the cattle and on your roof, does not mean they are the ones doing this to cattle. Particularly when there is no other evidence (other than the cows being dropped from a height and the ground marks).

I think you need to look elsewhere for an explaination to cattle mutillations and match more of the reported facts to some other event/creature/machine.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2016, 10:11 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
9,511 posts, read 6,128,382 times
Reputation: 28841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Although I see the connection between the marks left at the cattle mutillation sites and the marks in your roof, I do not see how this bird is eating the cattle. I do not think you know what it eats.

Looking at this logically, these cattle are being cut up with surgical precision, not torn up by something with a beak or jaws. An eye, a cored rectum, an udder, and an ear from a dead cow is not going to help this huge bird survive and it would need at least a whole cow each few days to sustain itself. Where are the carcasses? Where is the bird droppings? As I said in the other thread, I do not think there is any correllation between this bird, if it exists, and the cattle mutillations.

Just because we have a similar indentation found in the ground near to some of the cattle and on your roof, does not mean they are the ones doing this to cattle. Particularly when there is no other evidence (other than the cows being dropped from a height and the ground marks).

I think you need to look elsewhere for an explaination to cattle mutillations and match more of the reported facts to some other event/creature/machine.

Well, actually ...

This is what obvious "Bird Predation" looks like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	birdp.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	177525


Now. THIS is what a mutilated cow from the scene of a cattle mutilation looks like:


Click image for larger version

Name:	bbirdp.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	177526

And as I am considering what I saw as a giant Raptor ... & when studying what other large Raptors eat:

Click image for larger version

Name:	eagledeer.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	177527


. . . I just feel like I'm not too far off base. Although; I am not a Zoologist, Ornithologist...Not a Rancher, Farmer ... I'm a boring housewife in Colorado who isn't even into "Birding" (or wasn't).
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2016, 10:38 AM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
6,219 posts, read 5,958,125 times
Reputation: 12161
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
And as I am considering what I saw as a giant Raptor ... & when studying what other large Raptors eat:

Attachment 177527


. . . I just feel like I'm not too far off base. Although; I am not a Zoologist, Ornithologist...Not a Rancher, Farmer ... I'm a boring housewife in Colorado who isn't even into "Birding" (or wasn't).
Holy crap. Here's a shot of a Siberian Golden Eagle taking down a wolf:

Golden Eagle Vs Siberian Wolf

I'm seeing 5 ft 11 in to 7 ft 8 in wingspan for a Golden Eagle -- not that far off on the high end from what you saw. I think you have a point in the photos showing the similarities between vulture predation and cattle mutliations.

Last edited by Vasily; 11-18-2016 at 11:10 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2016, 05:47 PM
 
Location: PRC
6,985 posts, read 6,907,840 times
Reputation: 6546
In my younger days I was a falconer. I lived with a number of birds of prey and I know their habits and behaviours fairly well. I have seen them eating various other animals and birds up-close. I know that the method of entering prey is through the easiest part of the body of their prey. They tear and they rip. In no way does it resemble a clean cut, circular laser-like hole.

In cattle mutillations the skin edges have been looked at under a microscope and it appears as if the skin has been burned or cut with some instrument.

I could always be wrong, but I am fairly certain that these wounds which are clean and look as if they have been surgically removed are NOT from any bird of prey. Go talk to a zoo keeper who looks after large birds of prey, show them a typical photo or two of a cattle mutillation 'hole' and ask them if they think it could have been done by a large eagle etc.

Not saying what you report is wrong, but I do think the conclusion you have been led to is not likely from what I know of birds of prey.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2016, 08:26 PM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
9,511 posts, read 6,128,382 times
Reputation: 28841
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
In my younger days I was a falconer. I lived with a number of birds of prey and I know their habits and behaviours fairly well. I have seen them eating various other animals and birds up-close. I know that the method of entering prey is through the easiest part of the body of their prey. They tear and they rip. In no way does it resemble a clean cut, circular laser-like hole.

In cattle mutillations the skin edges have been looked at under a microscope and it appears as if the skin has been burned or cut with some instrument.

I could always be wrong, but I am fairly certain that these wounds which are clean and look as if they have been surgically removed are NOT from any bird of prey. Go talk to a zoo keeper who looks after large birds of prey, show them a typical photo or two of a cattle mutillation 'hole' and ask them if they think it could have been done by a large eagle etc.

Not saying what you report is wrong, but I do think the conclusion you have been led to is not likely from what I know of birds of prey.
Well; I definitely envy your knowledge!

I never was much into birds before this happened. Then afterwards I became a "keyboard researcher" but thats nothing on the hands on experience that you have.

All I have is the "WWW".

And a huge bird with a 30ft wingspan that launched itself off of my roof, 15 ft above me, 10 years ago ...

So; what would you say it would eat? Because if it lives; it eats. Thats nature.

I *feel* as though you are slowly; step by step ... trying to lead me into considering that what I saw was not as much "normal" as it was paranormal.

Why; may I ask?

There is nothing special about me that would bring this creature from it's netherworldly existence onto my roof.

The Native American males were said to ingest hallucinogenics. Then, if the Thunderbird appeared in a vision to them; it was a blessing or an omen of sorts, that they were to fufill a destiny of being a great War Chief.

I am not a Native. I am not a man. I am a white girl of Mediterranean & Ashkenazi descent with 11 kids.

(The "strangest" thing about me; I feel, is my recent discovery that my Rh negative blood skipped 5 generations to manifest itself in me. Thats a medical anomaly, however, irregardless of how many websites are telling me I'm a Reptile. Or Nephillim, or whatever. Now THATS a whole different thread).

But my point is, well; that there is no point to this thing happening to me. Unless it's alive. My roof definitely looked like something alive had been on it!
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top