Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2016, 08:07 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,505,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
And; since I've grown up here in Southern Colorado & have a SIL who owns ranches in NM, AZ & TX, I DO know that the cattle mutilations are "real". I do know that they are finding cows on the ground with all their bones shattered & cows draped in tree tops & over power lines.
Do you have pictures of cows tree tops & over power lines?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2016, 10:55 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,329,564 times
Quote:
Thank you for the links! I read each & every one.

The reason I chose to communicate with the Cryptozoologist in the UK was based on simple research of credentials & educational status. He holds a Doctorate & I was looking for the most viable expert available.

I believe his use of the word "Thunderbird" was due to a very detailed description I gave regarding the percussive nature of this birds take-off wing flap.

Without a doubt, the single most stunning aspect of this experience was the eardrum popping "Boom" of the wings. His wings did not "bring" the thunder; his wings MADE the thunder.

I can't even begin to explain the roof damage rationally but before I heard the "Boom" I heard the sound of bricks tumbling down. But there were no bricks & not even a tile fell on me. Imagine how it would sound if a large, hooved animal were set down on top of a roof & began scrambling for it's footing. Thats EXACTLY how it sounded!

I'm sure my knee-jerk initial statement regarding "Pterodactyl" was due to the croaking scream it made as it took off. Nothing with feathers has ever made a sound like that. Nothing I have EVER heard has sounded like THAT.

As far as a "crest" I can't be sure as I was underneath it. I found many, many parrallels with the Turkey Vulture.

But there is one problem that I have not mentioned yet which would disqualify both Vuture & Pterodactyl.

Both lack the wing structure to initiate a powerfull take off. Both depend(ed) on wind currents & "Thermals" for flight.

In fact , most birds are not capable of using a wing to generate the vortex needed for the launch I witnessed (and especially due to it's size).

The only thing capable of that in our realm of known species; isn't even a bird at all.

It's a mammal: The Vampire Bat.
which would also explain the lack of blood around some of those cattle mutilations.... and that is a frightening thought.

Old 11-25-2016, 09:09 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,654,238 times
Quote:
Thank you for the links! I read each & every one.

The reason I chose to communicate with the Cryptozoologist in the UK was based on simple research of credentials & educational status. He holds a Doctorate & I was looking for the most viable expert available.

I believe his use of the word "Thunderbird" was due to a very detailed description I gave regarding the percussive nature of this birds take-off wing flap.

Without a doubt, the single most stunning aspect of this experience was the eardrum popping "Boom" of the wings. His wings did not "bring" the thunder; his wings MADE the thunder.
I hope you and our family had a great Thanksgiving holiday. First you stuff the turkey, then the turkey stuffs you. Gobble-gobble-gobble!

About the cryptozoologist from the UK who holds a doctorate degree. Who is this guy? I'd like to see his credentials. Is his doctorate degree in Cryptozoology? For him to leap out and say, "I believe that you saw a Thunderbird", sounds a bit unprofessional to me. I'm not saying you weren't descriptive, but how he could flatly draw such a conclusion from a phone call is beyond me.

You mentioned the creature's wings sounded like a boom or thunder. It seems like everyone in the neighborhood would have heard that as well. Would a better description be more of a whooshing or slapping sound? I can imagine that from a large winged creature, even if it had feathers. I've heard plenty of duck, geese, chickens, turkeys, crows, even smaller birds, that make noises from flapping their wings when they're taking off the ground or trees. Hummingbirds, for instance, make a buzzing sound from the rapid flapping of their wings.

Quote:
I can't even begin to explain the roof damage rationally but before I heard the "Boom" I heard the sound of bricks tumbling down. But there were no bricks & not even a tile fell on me. Imagine how it would sound if a large, hooved animal were set down on top of a roof & began scrambling for it's footing. Thats EXACTLY how it sounded!

I'm sure my knee-jerk initial statement regarding "Pterodactyl" was due to the croaking scream it made as it took off. Nothing with feathers has ever made a sound like that. Nothing I have EVER heard has sounded like THAT.
If it was as big as you showed in the photo of your house, I would also imagine quite a scuffling or clacking noise from talons on the roof.

With regard to the croaking scream that was like a "Pterodactyl", and that nothing with feathers makes a sound like that, I'd have to say there are feathered birds that do make croaking and screaming sounds. There are young owls that make a strange croaking vocalizations. So do some vultures, that don't have the ability to make much sounds apart from hisses and grunts. Eagles and ospreys make scream like screeching noises while flying.

Quote:
As far as a "crest" I can't be sure as I was underneath it. I found many, many parrallels with the Turkey Vulture.
Okay, so because of where you were you couldn't see if there was a crest or not. We can probably rule out it being a pterodactyl, considering they've been extinct for a very long time. We can also rule out it being a Thunderbird, primarily because they're mostly legends or seen in visions.

Quote:
But there is one problem that I have not mentioned yet which would disqualify both Vuture & Pterodactyl.

Both lack the wing structure to initiate a powerfull take off. Both depend(ed) on wind currents & "Thermals" for flight.

In fact , most birds are not capable of using a wing to generate the vortex needed for the launch I witnessed (and especially due to it's size).

The only thing capable of that in our realm of known species; isn't even a bird at all.

It's a mammal: The Vampire Bat.
I think I'd have to disagree that vultures lack the wing structure to take off. True, they do depend on wind currents and thermals for flight. However, when a vulture is on the ground feeding on carrion, they have to be able to get back into the air somehow. They can indeed get enough life to begin flight, and they have to flap their wings to do it. If they're high in a tree or on a cliff, sure, they can begin soaring without much flapping. Most smaller birds very much flap their wings when launching into the air from the ground. Sparrows and robins do that all the time. And smaller birds tend to continue flapping in flight. That more difficult for a vulture, since their muscular structure isn't make for constant flapping. They're made for soaring, but they can flap when they need to.

Okay, the vampire bat was pretty funny. A lot of insects also fly. I don't think any of them do much soaring.

As a side note, there have been some rather gigantic birds. Argentavis magnificens had a wingspan of about 23 feet. On the downside though, they lived during the Miocene Epoch from about 23 milion years ago to 5.3 million years ago. Size-wise it's closer to what you described, but time-wise, they've been extinct for a long time. Just a few fossilized bones left behind. These birds were similar to condors and vultures.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentavis
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miocene

A little close in time is the Haast's Eagle, a carnivorous raptor from New Zealand. Their primary source of food is thought to have been the Moa, a large flightless bird. It's thought the Moa went extinct due to humans that hunted them. When the Moa went extinct, the Haast's Eagle soon followed in extinction, sometime in the 1400's, about 600 years ago. The Haast's Eagle was quite large, but still not nearly as large as what you described seeing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haast's_eagle

Old 11-25-2016, 10:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,264,824 times
I would think a creature of that size, with that sort of appetite, would leave pretty unmistakable piles of poop somewhere.

Old 11-25-2016, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I would think a creature of that size, with that sort of appetite, would leave pretty unmistakable piles of poop somewhere.
No doubt on someone's car windshield right after they washed it.

Old 11-26-2016, 12:56 AM

19,974 posts, read 30,313,112 times
cos,

I am one that believes we aren't so arrogant as to know everything .....so I do love mysteries and believe their are so many things we don't know or comprehend... ive had my own experiences with spirits,,,that I do believe in an afterlife....

anyways...whatever you encountered, you don't have to "prove" to anyone,,,i just think you are awesome for sharing

I love a good mystery so I'm going to share a couple.., please take a look when you can

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-zj-YYaFkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMxueNSihSA

Old 11-26-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Excellent point. Plus it would show up on radar and should be easily visible from aircraft with or without night vision.

Old 11-26-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I'd like to see that too. I looked and couldn't find anything about cows being draped in tree tops and over power lines. The following is for the benefit of others who may be uncertain why some animals are found in strange spots that seem to defy explanation. There are reasonable explanations though.

I did, however, find an adult moose hung up on a power line about 50 feet above the ground, deer (a fawn) draped over a power line, a ram on a power line, a full grown deer on power lines next to the power poles, a goat (which was still alive) that was hung up by the horns on a power line, etc.

In some cases, like the adult deer, the reason it was up there is because it was hit by a train. The train tracks were next to the power lines. A freakish accident.

Some animals got strung up by getting too close to power lines that were under construction. Apparently, I think that's what happened to the moose. It's antlers got snagged in a power line, and the line was raised and tightened by hydraulic pulleys which were located a distance from where the moose was.

The fawn (dead) draped over a power line ended up there from being dropped by an eagle. It might be that it was just too heavy or struggling too much for the eagle to keep carrying in flight.

There have been instances filmed of mountain sheep and goats being dragged or pulled off cliffs by eagles with the mammals falling to their death. I'd guess the eagle ultimately flew down to the carcass to feed on it.

I wouldn't be surprised that some dead animals could end up in trees because of eagles or other predators such as cougars. The point is that some of these animals found in weirdly high spots, like power lines and trees, is because of freakish accidents or because of predators trying to hide their catch by putting it out of reach of other animals. Nothing particularly extraordinary about it.

Moose Hanging from Power Cables : snopes.com

Pole Deer : snopes.com

'Abseiling' sheep gets stuck on live wire - Telegraph

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=213-p5zkA2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3RonD-ZVaU

This one is rather graphic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WY9IJGm_PTI

Old 11-27-2016, 11:18 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,139,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
I am a bit annoyed with myself because I'm having a hard time locating some of my computer files from my initial research that I started in 2013.

Most of them were PDF files from ".gov" websites & I find it annoying that I'm not finding my recent Google searches being able to link to them.

One site did reference the fact that the CBI (Colorado Bureau of Investigations) has re-involved themselves with local agencies as of Jan 2016 & the photos/PDF files may have been removed as evidence in an active investigation.

I KNOW I saved many & I'm going to keep searching!

There is this pic from the 1960's in New Jersey:

Click image for larger version

Name:	cnj.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	177944

A "Cow in Tree" from Alberta, Canada in 2002:

Name:	ctc.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	177948

Deer on power line; unknown origin:

Name:	dip.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	177949

This is an archived newspaper article from Adams County, Illinois in 1975 regarding "cow found hanging off bridge":

Name:	ill.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	177945

An archived newspaper article from Colorado in 1976 when the Logan County Sherriff was frustrated with the CBI's progress in an investigation & states the cows "had taken up wrestling":

Name:	logan.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	177946

And the newspaper report from Colorado in 2013 describing the scene of a cow dropped from above a tree & falling through to the ground:

Name:	trin.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	177947

Today I will continue my "quest" to find my own files. I remember one showed a heifer draped over a fence & one had a horse in a tree.

Old 11-27-2016, 07:09 PM

Thank you coschristi,

I thought since you mentioned your SIL owned ranches that she would have come across this, and of course being a business person taken pictures.

I have seen some of these before. I am not certain what happened in all of these but I would not that it looks like none of these were mutilated in the sense we are speaking about here so I am not sure if it proves a relation.

While looking myself I came across images of animals on power poles. It seems like mountain lions climb them at least fairly infrequently. I wonder if they drag kills up there?

But there is only one cow and this is cattle mutilation we are speaking about. I think such a wide variety of animals helps make the point that this may not be related to the cattle mutilations.

Also I would like to add that if these larger animals were dropped from a fair height then they would either have damaged the wires or been severed in half.

A large animal like you are discussing may not fair well around high power lines as if it touches two it may complete a circuit and electrocute itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal