Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2016, 11:04 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,831,318 times

Advertisements

There's a really nice walking path near where I live. It's open 24 hours, although no one uses it after 11:00 PM. At night, it's lit up by streetlights. I think they're the high-pressure sodium variety, because they shine in an amber glow, but I doubt the type makes much difference. They're positioned pretty low, about 2 human heights. There's one streetlight that almost always turns off when I walk under it. Or, if it's off already, it turns on when I walk under it. Then it returns to the original state once I get about 20 feet away. And when I walk multiple laps on that path, the streetlight gets triggered the same way every time. Almost like clockwork, with only occasional exceptions.

It's really weird. Since I usually use the path at night when there aren't many people around, I don't know if other people trigger this streetlight too. The effect seems to be the strongest (i.e. the light "reacts" most readily) when I'm thinking about a personal hardship, like a severely ill family member or a pending layoff. Or conversely, something really happy, like sleeping over at a new lady friend's place the night before.

Similar things used to happen with another streetlight some years ago. I had to drive under a specific streetlight before turning onto a specific street to visit a buddy of mine. That light would often briefly turn off whenever I drove under it. I don't remember if it was high-pressure sodium (amber) or mercury vapor (cool white), but it was one of those streetlights tacked on to power lines. (I know it's weird to remember these details, but meh.)

I'm aware that this has a formal name: streetlight interference phenomenon. But how weird is it to have it happen to me?

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 12-02-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2016, 12:51 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,165 posts, read 80,294,308 times
I used to think the same thing with one near us, until I stated to use a particular park & ride to catch a bus to work. I noticed that one of the lights there was off, but then about every 8-10 minutes, would gradually light up until fully on, stay that way a minute or two, then go off. This repeated for the 10-15 minutes I waited for the bus, and happened again every day for a few weeks until, apparently they repaired it.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:43 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,134,497 times
Sodium lights at the end of their life, cycle on and off. When they get too hot, they turn themselves off, and then when they cool off, turn themselves on.

Nothing magical or mystical.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:14 AM

6,901 posts, read 6,805,905 times
Fairly easy to test I should think. You dont have to wait until 11pm as anytime after dark would do. Just stand and watch when others go underneath and see whether it does the same thing. perhaps you could walk backwards and forwards underneath to see if it continues to go off and on as you pass under the lamp.

Having said that, many people do report having an effect on watches, PCs and other electronics. Like you, some of them also report streetlights going off when they passunderneath too. Some other people cannot wear watches because their energy effects the watch adversely.

Old 12-03-2016, 08:48 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,831,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
You dont have to wait until 11pm as anytime after dark would do.
I haven't observed other people walking under that streetlight. But I never said I waited until 11:00 PM. I just said that no one uses that path after that time, even though it's permitted. (The path isn't on park district land, which makes it equivalent to a city sidewalk.) I usually walk there between 6:00 PM and 11:00 PM, whenever I can find time after work and what-have-you. The streetlight always "reacts" the same way, at least to me.

It'd be interesting to sit on a bench and observe other people from a safe distance, though.

Old 12-03-2016, 02:53 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,031,986 times
this use to happen to me all the time.....

freaky!!

Old 12-03-2016, 09:13 PM

997 posts, read 929,503 times
I think it is energy related. I have the streetlight thing happen in an obvious way, but I still thought it could be for some logical reason.

I would just chalk that up to synchronicity. That happens all the time in very ordinary ways. Sometimes the universe wants to get your attention. It doesn't have to have a supernatural, underlying cause..Maybe your timing is synchronized to the streetlight. That would be easier to arrange.

I do work with energy, and you are like a battery and your energy effects the environment in a significant way. I would accept it as a variation of normal, but I would continue to observe patterns like that.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:18 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,386,112 times
The starter/ballast for the sodium light is failing, they will cycle on and off. Nothing mysterious or unusual.

Old 12-06-2016, 07:30 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,059,030 times
They call people who cause interference with streetlights sliders. There is probably a rational explanation otherwise a person would be affecting lighting elsewhere.

On my smartphone with the small text, I thought it said always triggering a specific streetfight! Really had me wondering for a moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal