U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 02:13 PM

3,140 posts, read 2,598,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
Does anyone dream about going to the same place--a town or street--for years in their dreams? I'm pretty sure I havent been to this little town i dream of ever, but when I am there in my dreams, its so familiar. Mostly because I have been going there for years in my dreams.
Definitely. Many of them are wild variations on the town I grew up in and surrounding town, with some of the streets and neighborhoods the same but their contents bearing little relationship to their actual contents. There are certain houses that in my dreams are run down and apparently "haunted" where no such houses existed in real life; there are deep woods where there were a few trees. I've dreamt of the same places for many decades now. There are also shops, schools, and other buildings that have vague correspondences to places I've actually been. All these places I've dreamt of repeatedly and vividly over the years.

One important function of dreaming appears to be integrating recent memories into our narratives: making connections, solidifying connections. That's how I interpret the variations.

One of the places I've dreamt of repeatedly in my younger years is a sort of high place with terraces at the top; I think that's a park in the town I grew up in with other similar or related experiences layered in. Another is a rolling sort of grassy landscape, like something in the prairie. I have no idea what that relates to. But I have been to places since that remind me of both of these. Could they have been precognitive dreams of places I would visit some day? I can think of no way of verifying this. So for now, it remains as the forum says: an Unexplained Mystery.

EDIT: forgot to mention -- I think I've posted this here in the past -- apparently the artificial intelligence behind Google Image Search does something like our dreaming as it's making connections to find a match:

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-surrea...tion-software/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 11:34 AM

997 posts, read 392,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cablejockey View Post
Does anyone dream about going to the same place--a town or street--for years in their dreams? I'm pretty sure I havent been to this little town i dream of ever, but when I am there in my dreams, its so familiar. Mostly because I have been going there for years in my dreams.
Yes, I have areas or different houses where my dreams take place. I get it and know what it means for the most part.

There was a place that I would go to sometimes in my dreams for my entire life and it is like an abandoned carnival building like on a boardwalk. Maybe it isn't abandoned but it seems worn down. I noticed that reoccurring theme a long time ago before I knew anything about anything.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:45 AM

4,112 posts, read 2,925,950 times
I've read somewhere that everyone in your dreams is someone you've seen before. I seem to have a lot of people in my dreams that I don't recognize. I once had a dream that ended with closing credits but they rolled by so fast I couldn't read them, kind of like they do them on tv these days.

Old 01-29-2017, 12:22 PM

997 posts, read 392,062 times
In my dreams, the characters are my guides. I know them but they can appear any way. If I dream of a person who I know then the character has traits that I associate with that person.

All my life I have had dreams with these characters. Some were more important. I know my main guide and she was in my dreams in the past and I recognize that now but at the time I wasn't aware.

One dream, years ago we were all sitting around the kitchen table and I had just gotten dumped by someone who I was glad to part ways with but I was rejected and I didn't like that. The people were telling me that it was ok. I was better off and he was no great loss. When I woke up, I felt much better. I honestly wanted him to go away and he did so I should have been relieved. I was relieved and felt like I really had support. I did.

That was an example of a dream that changed something. It changed my attitude and made me feel better. That is one type of dream.

Another type is prophetic. I always had that but it would be about things that weren't helpful. I would dream something and it would happen the next day, or it would be on the news. It would be minor. I thought, what is the use of this? How does this help me? My way is the next day, within 24 hours the thing will happen that I dreamed about.

Now I know my guidance and sometimes I get instructions in my dreams. I will be told to do something. The next day I will have to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal