U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 02:15 PM

1,100 posts, read 539,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I'm okay with the possibility of it being a representation of what they thought the fossils may have looked like as a living animal. They were an ancient peoples but there's no reason to believe they had sub-standard reasoning powers.

Why wouldn't they think the bony plates went across the back? Where else on that creature could you fit a row of bony plates that size? Dig more than one up and discover it also had bony plates scattered with it and it would be easy to come to the conclusion that the bony plates must somehow be part of the animal.

What will future civilization think of us and our huge collections of reassembled bones and even our reconstructions to living animals? Will they think that we lived among those dinosaurs or might they think that we are leaving a representational history of what we think we know?

As far as the less than accurate depictions I think you will find the same all over the world. The beautiful cave paintings in France are stylized yet seem to represent some kind of a gazelle like creature. Have you seen the Mayan animal glyphs?

It takes some creative analyzing to recognize that they represent actual living creatures that the Mayans were familiar with. So why expect the representations to be exact picture perfect duplicates. The stone carvers were artists, imaginative.
If the other carvings of animals represented are as alive today, then one has to conclude that the stegasaurus was done in like manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 02:29 PM

1,100 posts, read 539,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Thanks. Then you're inclined to think that the Ta Prohm carving represents a dinosaur, and thus is evidence that humans and dinosaurs have co-existed into relatively recent times. Why do you think it's a dinosaur? What kind of dinosaur? Why not some other kind of animal?
Can't see it as any other animal.

Also. just because there was a stegasaurus, that does not mean it was living with man like a regular everyday sighting kind of thing; or that there was an awful lot of them. Mankind has seen predators, and have carved them into the walls, but that does not necessarily depict it as living with mankind like a pet.

The carving is just a testimony that man has seen a living stegasaurus.

The trouble with the evolutionary timetable, they cannot verified when the extinction level event was. How can they unless they get a time machine? Everything about the macroevolution is in the imagination; in the scientific mind running away with hypothesizing that can never be observed nor prove.

And they do this at the expense of physical evidence to the contrary. The only choice they have to defend the evolution timetable is to laugh at the physical evidence so they can dismiss it.

The coelacanth was thought to be extinct 65 million years ago until they find it alive living today.

So why can't they be wrong about the dinosaurs when everything about the evolution timetable is assumed; and hardly proven at all? If physical evidence shows that men has seen a dinosaur, I doubt any one will disbelieve the evolution theory; they didn't when they found the coelacanth. So what makes any one believe that atheists will disbelieve the evolution theory when they find a living dinosaur?

I bet atheists will still be atheists even if the evolution theory has been disproven by real science as false.

But as it is, with real science compromised by a cult in that false science called the evolution theory, it is left up to individual to seek the truth, and to some, to even ask God to help them discern the lies from the truth in the world so that they may believe in His words once again rather than believe in men's.

As this forum is about unsolved mysteries, I leave it to seekers from all backgrounds, to consider the physical evidences, as they are more than just that carving of a stegasaurus to look at at that link in the OP. They need to scroll down at the site to see.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:07 PM

997 posts, read 512,042 times
The Flinstones?

Old 01-20-2017, 05:49 PM

2,686 posts, read 1,770,456 times
'Science' can indeed have an agenda, depending on who is funding what study.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 01-20-2017 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: Getting rid of deleted post

Old 01-20-2017, 07:39 PM

2,705 posts, read 2,982,950 times
This attitude is as ridiculous as the "other side's" attitude and cannot belong to any reasonable scientist or researcher.

Science is finding out new things every week and opinions of "experts" change according to the prevailing acceptable scientific beliefs. We all know that the major publications have an enormous influence on what gets out and what gets suppressed and often scientists have to go to the smaller and slightly more fringe publications in order to get their research published. If thats not an agenda, then what is?

Peer review has largely become a joke and often biased. References often refer to other papers which corroborate the findings and/or are funded by the same organisation.

The public is losing its trust in Science just like government has lost the public's support already.

Last edited by Tallysmom; 01-20-2017 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Getting rid of deleted post...

Old 01-20-2017, 09:09 PM

4,981 posts, read 7,760,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorInSpirit View Post
Can't see it as any other animal.
I understand. You can't see it as any other animal, so for you, what you've seen declared on various websites is what you find to be a reasonable explanation... even if it's actually something else.

Why couldn't it be some other kind of animal? What is it (apart from other websites) that compels you to believe that it must be a dinosaur?

Quote:
Also. just because there was a stegasaurus, that does not mean it was living with man like a regular everyday sighting kind of thing; or that there was an awful lot of them. Mankind has seen predators, and have carved them into the walls, but that does not necessarily depict it as living with mankind like a pet.
Who's talking about pets living with people? If it was a gaur (wild cattle - not domestic), I seriously doubt anyone in the area about 800 years ago would have considered such an animal as a pet. BTW, it doesn't resemble a stegosaur either because the body shape could also be said to resemble that of a hornless cerotops. Maybe a stegoceratops?

Quote:
The carving is just a testimony that man has seen a living stegasaurus.
...that is, unless it's a testimonial carving of something else.

Quote:
The trouble with the evolutionary timetable, they cannot verified when the extinction level event was. How can they unless they get a time machine? Everything about the macroevolution is in the imagination; in the scientific mind running away with hypothesizing that can never be observed nor prove.

And they do this at the expense of physical evidence to the contrary. The only choice they have to defend the evolution timetable is to laugh at the physical evidence so they can dismiss it.
You're jumping the track which has nothing to do with my post.

Quote:
The coelacanth was thought to be extinct 65 million years ago until they find it alive living today.

So why can't they be wrong about the dinosaurs when everything about the evolution timetable is assumed; and hardly proven at all? If physical evidence shows that men has seen a dinosaur, I doubt any one will disbelieve the evolution theory; they didn't when they found the coelacanth. So what makes any one believe that atheists will disbelieve the evolution theory when they find a living dinosaur?

I bet atheists will still be atheists even if the evolution theory has been disproven by real science as false.
Yes, it's true that the rare coelacanth fish have been found to be living, mostly around the West Indian Ocean, and it was indeed thought to be extinct. Prior to that, the earlier evidence was based on fossils dating back millions of years. However, trying to use the coelacanth as a way to support your claim falls flat. A coelacanth is a cold-blooded fish of the ocean. They have to live in water to be able to live at all. Dinosaurs are currently thought to have been warm-blooded animals that generally lived on land. They'd drown if they tried to breathe underwater. They're completely different animals with completely different environmental requirements.

Adding a comment about atheists is an unrelated religious comment. This forum is about "Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal". What difference does it make about what atheists may or may not believe? Why don't you present your view to the Atheists forum?

What kind of living dinosaurs are expected to be found? None that I know of.

Quote:
But as it is, with real science compromised by a cult in that false science called the evolution theory, it is left up to individual to seek the truth, and to some, to even ask God to help them discern the lies from the truth in the world so that they may believe in His words once again rather than believe in men's.
Religious. Unrelated to the subject at hand which is "Physical Evidence For the Coexistence of Dinosaurs with Man".

Quote:
As this forum is about unsolved mysteries, I leave it to seekers from all backgrounds, to consider the physical evidences, as they are more than just that carving of a stegasaurus to look at at that link in the OP. They need to scroll down at the site to see.
I saw the website which includes the Ta Phrom carving. And yes, I scrolled down. It's been online for several years. In fact, there have been several threads here on City-Data Forum over the years on this very same subject.

If you look at the carvings just above and below the carving in question, you'll see that they appear to be animals that would typically have been known by the artisans of the Ta Prohm temple 800 years ago. Other columns show other animals as well as plant life, like flowers. It's not unreasonable to understand that these people were creating carvings of ordinary animals. And those aren't necessarily plates on the animal's back. Artisans then and now often use stylized features to enhance a subject. Sometimes details of a subject isn't always lifelike. I can give you numerous reasons why. That sort of thing can be found all over South Asia and SW Asia. Below is a link that shows numerous animals on the columns (Scroll down). It holds the same view you do, but also shows other animals on other columns at the Ta Prohm temple.

Have you ever spent any appreciable time in South or SE Asia?
Dinosaurs in ancient Cambodian temple

Old 01-20-2017, 10:03 PM

636 posts, read 251,524 times
Quote:

Why would they not?

Atheism is not a belief in evolution.
Atheism is a lack of belief in gods. Disproving evolution does nothing to disprove atheism/provide evidence for a god.

Old 01-20-2017, 10:30 PM

636 posts, read 251,524 times
Let's borrow Occam's razor for a minute. Occam's razor says that the simplest option is usually true.

One possibility - it's a not a stegosaurus.
Another possibility - it's a fake.
Third possibility - humans hung out with dinosaurs.

Which if these possibilities are the simplest, and most likely to be true?

It's not a stegosaurus: Sometimes artists miss the mark.

It's a fake: a reasonably skilled sculptor could have added the animal to a broken relief or the plates could have been added.

Humans hung out with dinosaurs: To believe this, among other things, one would have to believe that while humans have made millions of representations of frogs, turtles, oxen, cranes, water buffalo, etc that we have observed, they one only made one representation of a giant land dwelling reptile that we have found. So, no one thought to carve a brontosaurus, t-rex, ankylosaurus, pterodactyl, velociraptor, iguanodon, triceratops, etc. ? We have jackal gods, bull gods, fish gods, etc...no one thought a dinosaur was impressive enough to deify? In the whole of human/dinosaur history we have but one carving and some questionable references to these impressive creatures? Does that make any sense? Does it make more sense than either of the other two possible explanations?

I'm not an expert, obviously. I don't know how it got there.
But I'm a reasonable human being, and I know what makes sense, and what doesn't.
That serves me pretty well in most of my life.

Old 01-21-2017, 07:54 AM

11,686 posts, read 13,078,672 times
You want proof that dinosaurs and man coexisted? Go to your 50th high school reunion.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:05 AM

4,031 posts, read 3,265,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
And those aren't necessarily plates on the animal's back. Artisans then and now often use stylized features to enhance a subject. Sometimes details of a subject isn't always lifelike.
I made the same point earlier. The dots used in Australian aboriginal paintings don't represent dots in the real world. The gold used in Orthodox icons as a background doesn't represent an actual gold colored sky and the perspective isn't "realistic" for theological reasons. They're called artistic conventions -- and for a lot of ancient art, we don't have the key to understanding what these conventions meant to the artist. But those who are determined to find evidence of aliens or cryptids or a young Earth or whatever are going to read their desires into ancient images and call it truth.

Saying that artists sometimes miss the mark isn't accurate, either -- Orthodox iconographers know that reality doesn't look that way, there are theological reasons for the conventions used in the art. Western art isn't "more evolved" or "superior" -- it uses different conventions (which arose I believe under the influence of nominalism but that's a different story), one of which is "accurate" perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or