U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2017, 09:07 PM
 
9,411 posts, read 13,037,022 times
Reputation: 10136

Advertisements

Can someone explain to me what in the world is that soft dangling cover in the first video half?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M6KPChzrYE&t=101s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-31-2017, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Naperville, Illinois
3,780 posts, read 3,057,114 times
Reputation: 6911
My guess would be that the open tube is an experimental area exposed to vacuum and the cover's there to prevent stuff inside from floating out. Or light from getting in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,124 posts, read 12,007,865 times
Reputation: 14883
I have often wondered myself. Especially the early space vehicles like the moon lander. Looked like a foil covered bunch of boxes glued together. Amazing it got off the ground at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 01:14 PM
 
4,614 posts, read 5,204,145 times
Reputation: 7091
The interior is shocking as well. It not sleek inside, the way most of us would imagine. They store all their junk everywhere in the passageways.

Still a cool experience for the astronauts though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,124 posts, read 12,007,865 times
Reputation: 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
The interior is shocking as well. It not sleek inside, the way most of us would imagine. They store all their junk everywhere in the passageways.

Still a cool experience for the astronauts though.
Very cool. Imagine going to a party where people are bragging about their vacations, and you show them a video from inside the space station!

So few people will ever experience this. Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 04:25 PM
 
Location: Self explanatory
9,094 posts, read 3,646,330 times
Reputation: 13395
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
I have often wondered myself. Especially the early space vehicles like the moon lander. Looked like a foil covered bunch of boxes glued together. Amazing it got off the ground at all.
It was launched in a shroud, tucked away in the third section of the Saturn Rocket.

Apollo 11 Moon Landing: How It Worked (Infographic)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 04:26 PM
 
Location: Naperville, Illinois
3,780 posts, read 3,057,114 times
Reputation: 6911
There are some great ISS tour videos on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ISS+Video+Tour
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 04:35 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
10,124 posts, read 12,007,865 times
Reputation: 14883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
It was launched in a shroud, tucked away in the third section of the Saturn Rocket.

Apollo 11 Moon Landing: How It Worked (Infographic)
Great post! Thanks for the info. Still would be scary in that thing to land in the Moon. Its Scary enough traveling away from Earth, so many things can go wrong in general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 04:42 PM
 
Location: Self explanatory
9,094 posts, read 3,646,330 times
Reputation: 13395
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
Great post! Thanks for the info. Still would be scary in that thing to land in the Moon. Its Scary enough traveling away from Earth, so many things can go wrong in general.
Also, I forget which astronaut said it, but when asked what they were thinking before launch, sitting atop a rocket, the reply was "that this was built by the cheapest bidder", lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2017, 09:48 PM
 
Location: Heart of Dixie
12,448 posts, read 9,709,102 times
Reputation: 28009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
Also, I forget which astronaut said it, but when asked what they were thinking before launch, sitting atop a rocket, the reply was "that this was built by the cheapest bidder", lol.
Alan Shepard atop Freedom 7, and the quote was 'The fact that every part of this ship was built by the lowest bidder.'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top