U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2017, 04:51 PM

833 posts, read 596,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The author of the original stairs-in-the-wilderness stories confessed she'd made them up.

It's easy to get spooked by some of the stories people put out there. It's helpful to remember that Paulides has an agenda; he's into finding "evidence" to support the Bigfoot fans. I think some of the wilderness missing-person stories boil down to hikers who become curious about a certain rock formation or landmark, decide to explore, and get into trouble, either falling off a trail or outcropping, or perhaps being attacked by an animal. Wilderness includes animals; people seem to think that it's safe just because there may be a couple of ranches in the vicinity or a few trails. Wilderness is wild. People are overconfident, and think it's a big, tame amusement park.

He also lets people know that having a gun will save you from all possible situations one might encounter in the wild.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2017, 07:55 PM

7,205 posts, read 7,868,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
I disagree with this statement. This may be true for someone who is an inexperienced city dweller, but for some of us, going off alone in the wilderness is the only way to truly feel alive. Same reason people go skydiving, rock climbing, BASE jumping, drag racing, insert adrenaline producing activity here, etc. Sometimes only a true wilderness area will do and a backyard just won't cut it. If you're prepared and have experience it's not "simply stupid".
I agree with you, but, should you choose to live this way, you can't expect immediate or easy (or ever) extraction from a bad situation.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:09 PM

10,566 posts, read 11,839,571 times
Also in and near wilderness areas there is illegal activity and drug trade, if an adventurous hiker gets too close to that they are going to disappear

Old 03-19-2017, 09:02 PM

5,373 posts, read 6,663,906 times
It would be interesting to see an age distribution of those missing and other biographical data analyzed. I suspect your fit folks not familiar with the wilds might be a factor. Over confidence anyone?

Old 03-19-2017, 10:11 PM

4,171 posts, read 1,999,319 times
Quote:
If you're prepared and have experience it's not "simply stupid".
Two of my three sons are very adventurous. I have constantly reminded them over the years that the buddy system is important. You can be prepared and have lots of experience, but if you fall and break your leg all that experience and being prepared isn't going to help you. Cell phone service isn't available in remote areas.

I will say that my son has completed the program for first responder. He does register with the Forest Rangers when they are going on a very long hike. In the end it would be a horrible ending if he broke his leg and he was alone. I don't think it is a good idea to be alone. (And I am one who loves to be alone--but I am smart to where I am alone.)

Quote:
There's a book about deaths and disappearances in Grand Canyon national park. It's a pretty interesting read.
I loved that book: "Over the Edge: Death in Grand Canyon", I couldn't get into before I went to the Grand Canyon. When I got back--I couldn't put it down. Interesting read.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:55 AM

26,166 posts, read 12,801,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN
Iíve heard stories about people visiting National Parks and while hiking just donít come back. Missing and no evidence that anything happened, as if they vanished in thin air, yet their vehicles are parked in nearby parking lots and nothing is disturbed.
Maybe they stumbled onto a time portal??

Could be if there is NO EVIDENCE of them!!

Old 03-20-2017, 07:17 AM

4,137 posts, read 1,999,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
It would be interesting to see an age distribution of those missing and other biographical data analyzed. I suspect your fit folks not familiar with the wilds might be a factor. Over confidence anyone?
The Into The Wild effect. Chris McCandless is probably responsible for more deaths than the San Bernadino shooters.

Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 AM

2,271 posts, read 2,130,451 times
Or they don't want to be found...

The Strange & Curious Tale of the Last True Hermit | GQ

Old 03-20-2017, 07:37 AM

209 posts, read 189,295 times
Having read Paulides books, I know that he never comes right out and states he believes Bigfoot is the culprit. I don't think he's ever stated what he believes, even if it is Bigfoot.
The books are very interesting and they do have a couple of cases that are unnerving and seemingly without an answer. The odd circumstances around most of the disappearances are creepy, and make for good reading.

Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 AM

3,488 posts, read 3,708,009 times
I used to work in Yosemite National Park. I remember one time someone was reported missing after they didn't return from a hiking expedition. The park rangers did an extensive search but never found him. There's only so much that can be done. With cliffs, canyons, wild animals, waterfalls, thick forest cover, it could be easy to have an accident and never been seen again.

I also remember when I lived out there reading an article in the San Francisco Chronicle about how it was becoming dangerous to hike in certain areas of the Sierra Nevada due to people growing marijuana. They would grow huge swaths of the plant in the backcountry. and of course there were armed guards. The story quoted several different hikers who were chased away by armed men when they stumbled across their crops. I can't find the exact article, but this is a warning from the National Drug Intelligence Center about marijuana growers in northern California back in 2001.

Quote:
Growers reportedly employ armed guards to protect both indoor and outdoor grows. Growers may warn off intruders with flares and use pits filled with punji stakes, fishhooks dangling at eye level, guard dogs, or trip wires linked to shotguns, grenades, or other explosives. In Fresno County, authorities recently found a grenade with a trip wire strapped to a propane tank. Law enforcement has confiscated semiautomatic weapons, night-vision binoculars, and bulletproof vests from growers.

These growers commit murders to expand their influence and use assault weapons while patrolling their plots. Many of these growers are young Caucasians who flaunt their wealth by purchasing expensive vehicles.
https://www.justice.gov/archive/ndic...3/marijuan.htm
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal