Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:07 PM

89 posts, read 78,750 times

Advertisements

So, after almost three years of living in this house that is about 40 years old and our lives really sucking since then, I had a eureka moment and realized it's the house. We've had crazy bad luck since we've been here: job loss, money problems, poor health, sudden discord in a formerly very happy marriage of 17 years. My husband is always exhausted to the point of almost not being able to talk in the evenings, and I have had an overwhelming desire to "escape" since we've been here. I dream about other places, other lives I could have, other partners I would rather have in my life. I have never seen or set foot in the basement. Why? I have no idea, but something just will not let me go down there. When I go out for the day I slowly feel that oppression lift, I start to feel like my old self, then minutes after I get home, even if no one else is here, I feel it again. I know once we leave we will be fine. How? Dunno, just do. My mother is no longer around, but she used to be able to step in a house and tell you if it was "clean" or not (meaning energy). I have no doubt she would have refused to stay here. My nickname for the house is Dracula's Castle, and it was my husband who picked it out from a very small inventory. I saw it for the first time in person after the closing, and many people tell us how beautiful it is (Tudor style, very big, at the top of a steep hill.) Yeah, I know it could all be explained away, but. But. I don't think it's haunted, but there is some kind of heaviness here. Any ideas of what the deal could be and how I might be able to make it better? The former owners were elderly and from what I can tell very nice people. The husband died of old age and she sold soon after. I have no idea if he died in the house or not, and frankly I don't want to know. Is there anything I can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 09:13 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,644,424 times
there are many things you can do: first the basics: clean all of the surfaces, windows, etc. - rip out any old curtains, draperies or carpet.

buy some coarse salt - put it in a bowl and disperse it along your property perimeters - intending that you will be protected.

buy some sage and burn it - again, intending that all negative energies will be dissipated - make sure you get every room and all corners.

buy some fresh oranges . . . peel them and put the peelings in bowls of water, and set the bowls in the corners of every room - with the intention this will elevate and cleanse the energy.

buy all new bedding - something cheerful.

if you can afford it, paint all walls - in cheerful colors.

if you are going to stay in this house, you have to cleanse it and make it yours.

if you don't want to do the things I suggested, put it on the market. it's not going to get better buy itself. if you value your lives, your jobs, and your mental health, you will take this seriously and do the appropriate things so you can enjoy your new home.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
there are many things you can do: first the basics: clean all of the surfaces, windows, etc. - rip out any old curtains, draperies or carpet.

buy some coarse salt - put it in a bowl and disperse it along your property perimeters - intending that you will be protected.

buy some sage and burn it - again, intending that all negative energies will be dissipated - make sure you get every room and all corners.

buy some fresh oranges . . . peel them and put the peelings in bowls of water, and set the bowls in the corners of every room - with the intention this will elevate and cleanse the energy.

buy all new bedding - something cheerful.

if you can afford it, paint all walls - in cheerful colors.

if you are going to stay in this house, you have to cleanse it and make it yours.

if you don't want to do the things I suggested, put it on the market. it's not going to get better buy itself. if you value your lives, your jobs, and your mental health, you will take this seriously and do the appropriate things so you can enjoy your new home.
Thank you for these ideas--I will get started with the first three tomorrow. Hopefully that will make it tolerable until we can leave, but I have no intention of staying any longer than I have to. No wonder it was such a steal, LOL. The realtor said the low price was because people around here like a flat lot. Believe me I do take it seriously-- where can I buy the sage do you think? Thanks again.

Old 05-09-2017, 12:35 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candyphd View Post
Thank you for these ideas--I will get started with the first three tomorrow. Hopefully that will make it tolerable until we can leave, but I have no intention of staying any longer than I have to. No wonder it was such a steal, LOL. The realtor said the low price was because people around here like a flat lot. Believe me I do take it seriously-- where can I buy the sage do you think? Thanks again.
Does your house smell bad? If you don't want to live in that house anymore, the easiest way would be to just talk to the realtor and sell it.

If you're bent on burning sage, get it in incense form or smudge sticks. You can find them online, or check with Walmart. No idea what that's suppose to do. Anyway, you don't want to end up burning your house down by accident.

Salt may wipe out of a few slugs and snails that happen to wander into the bowl. Pouring beer in bowls will do that too (they'll drown). If you use salt in bowls, and any animals knock it over, you're likely to have dead patches in any grassy areas. Make sure the bowls are firmly secured to prevent knocking them over and spilling salt all over. Also keep in mind that if it rains, and the bowls overflow, the salty water will also kill off grass and sensitive plants, and possibly spread out by leaching in the soil.

As for orange peels, even if you frequently buy oranges, it's going to take a while to get enough for every room. Just buy a bottle or can of citrus spray. Most home and garden store will have it, or any place that sells air fresheners. It'll add a nice refreshing fragrance to your rooms.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:00 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
From watching houses being "cleansed" on tv, the salt is never poured into a bowl. It is put directly on the ground, on property lines. IDK what sage does but all spiritualists use it to "clean" a house/apt. Use it in every room, attic and (sorry) basement. Good luck. Oh, I have even heard of putting salt on the threshold of doors and on the sills of windows.

Old 05-10-2017, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
From watching houses being "cleansed" on tv, the salt is never poured into a bowl. It is put directly on the ground, on property lines. IDK what sage does but all spiritualists use it to "clean" a house/apt. Use it in every room, attic and (sorry) basement. Good luck. Oh, I have even heard of putting salt on the threshold of doors and on the sills of windows.
LOL, I'll have my husband do the attic and the basement. Yeah, I was wondering does the salt go around the perimeter of the house or of the lot, which you just answered. Thanks.

Old 05-10-2017, 11:20 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,631,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I'd suggest being cautious about using salt in this manner. The reason is because salt can very much accelerate corrosion to metals. If the sills of the windows are metal, condensation that can drip off the glass can cause corrosion when contacting the salt. That includes screws. Same thing can apply to thresholds that may have a metal plate below exterior doors. I think Candyphd said the house was about 40 years old, so it's likely to have metal framed windows and maybe metal exterior doors. Salt can also be damaging to wood unless it's been treated with creosote or an oil based preservative. How long is salt suppose to be kept in place?
UCSB Science Line
http://www.imoa.info/download_files/...eicingSalt.pdf

https://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/documnts/t...6-2011-001.pdf

Old 05-11-2017, 12:53 AM

3,222 posts, read 4,567,541 times
OP, I read your story and my skin crawled. Somewhere on CD I described living in a rental house in the country for 7 years where we had nothing but one bad luck after another. I mean every kind of event and none predictable. I used to say I could write a book, but who would believe it?
It wasn't haunted either. We knew what that was like as we had moved there from a haunted place. This was different. It was a ''darkness'' and I often wondered if it stemmed from the previous owner who had built the house by hand.
Eventually we moved, but the darkness seemed to follow. It continued through last year when I began to believe that an item that I had brought from the farm might have brought the ''dark'' with us. That story is on CD somewhere too.
I returned the item to the farm and as if ''getting one more punch in'', on the night when I came back home from there, my dog died. That was last June.
There's a lot more to this story too. Anyway, some days I think the darkness is gone, sometimes I think it's still around. I have been thinking of having a psychic consult, but don't know what kind of psychic to search for. But I definitely am a believer in things like you describe. I lived it.

Old 05-11-2017, 06:52 AM

486 posts, read 991,641 times
Wow. How timely your post is. I was just thinking yesterday about our family's summer property on a lake, I have come to the conclusion that the property (perhaps a painting on the property?) is cursed and is the cause of my family's bad luck, sickness, poverty, etc.

[caution long post]

My family has owned property (different lots and houses) on a lake since the late 1930's. There is one piece of property that has a red camp on it that used to be an old boy scout camp from the 1920's. After my family (my 3 great aunts) bought the property in the late 1930's, an old painting was found in the red camp. My family has always called the painting "the witch." It shows a young girl walking down a path and she is holding a flower. She is dressed in period clothes probably from the early to mid 1800's. We don't know how old the painting is because there is no signature or date on the painting. Anyway, the painting was put into the trunk of one of my great aunt's car, and she left it in the car for years (I was told).

Fast forward to the year 1977, and my 3 great aunts and their husbands have all died and the red camp is now vacant. My cousins do not want the camp, so my father agrees to "take over the camp" although he never gets the deed put into his name. At the time I was 11 years old and happy that my father was taking over the red camp, because that meant we could live there in the summer and swim and fish in the lake.

When my father took over the camp, he was given the painting of the "witch" by my grandmother. It was wrapped in a stained sheet. He was told by my grandmother, that the painting was ruined from all the years it sat in my great aunt's trunk of her car. He placed the painting in the basement of our house. As kids, we would unwrap the painting and look at the creepy dark image that was now stained with water, there were various holes in the canvas, and the paint was flaking off.

That first summer we owned the red camp, it was an excessive rainy summer, which flooded the entire property for the entire summer. We had to put pallets down on the lawn to be able to walk outside the camp.

The second summer (1978) we owned the camp, my father was diagnosed with cancer, Lymphoma, (he was 40 years old). We stayed at the camp sparingly that summer as my father went through treatments.

My father went into remission for the next 16 years.

Throughout the late 70's and 80's my family had continual financial problems and health problems. I suppose all families have problems here and there, but it seemed my family ALWAYS had problems, every single day. My father was either on strike (he worked as a unionized truck driver) or he was working overtime in order to survive. Myself and my siblings were constantly bullied in school (I graduated from high school in 1984). My father bought a used car/truck every year because they were always breaking down. It was just constant problems everyday, it never ended. My dad used to say if it wasn't for bad luck he would have no luck at all.

In 1986, I decided to pull "the witch" out of the basement and paint a copy of it (I am an artist). I gave the copy of the painting to my parents who then hung it in the living room of their home. The bad luck continued. In 1987, a year after the new "witch" was hung in the living room, my grandmother (the one who gave us the "witch") was diagnosed with lung cancer and stayed at our house for a short time. She died a year later in 1988.

My father's cancer returned in 1992, in 1994 he died from the cancer treatment (he was 56 years old).

After my father's death my sister decided to get the deed of the red camp into my mother's name. Three months after she started the process, my mother suffered a massive stroke in 1996 (she was 56 years old). She has been disabled ever since her stroke. The red camp deed process was put on hold.

It wasn't until 8 years later (in 2004) that my sister finally got the red camp deed into my mom's name. A few months later my brother had a seizure and was diagnosed with an inoperable AVM (he was 39 years old).

In 2004 me and my sister decided to purchase additional lots next to the red camp. The lots were empty, but previously there used to be a white camp on the lots owned by a man who used to have seances in his camp each summer (my mom used to go to the seances). Of course the bad luck for my family continued, up to the year 2008, when me, my sister and my brother decided to build a family summer house on the additional lots (next to the red camp) because we could no longer upkeep the various old camps on the property (they were unlivable). Once we finalized the building plans that summer in 2008, my older sister was diagnosed with breast cancer (she was 45 years old). I remember thinking to myself that summer, "it seems every time we try to make the family properties on the lake livable for the entire family, we get blindsided with serious family health problems."

We did end up building the new family house on the empty lots in the year 2009. We had to tear down my grandfather's green camp on another lot next door to the red camp. I was told by a local neighbor, who is into paranormal stuff, that when she entered the green camp (before we tore it down), that she got bad vibes. She said it made her feel creepy.

It was around that time (2009) that I decided to "restore" the original "witch" painting as best I could so I could hang it in the new "camp house." There are now two "witch" paintings. One hanging in my mom's house and one hanging in the "camp house." Since the "camp house" has been built, my family still experiences incredible bad luck, especially financial problems. It was also in 2009 that my sister's marriage started to break up, in fact her ex husband told her it was when she built the "camp house" that he knew the marriage was over (why? I don't know, the camp house was for the entire family).

In 2010, my cousin (who came out to the red camp every year) died of liver failure (he was 40 years old). I have lucid dreams of him hanging around the red camp and green camp. Fast forward to today, 2017, my older sister died in 2016 from being overdosed on chemo (she was 53 years old). My mother now says she sees a man in her bedroom every night, and he has been coming to her for a "long time."

So yesterday a thought came to my head, "maybe the property on the lake and/or the "witch" painting(s) are cursed and perhaps is one of the reasons for my family's early deaths, disease, and financial problems. Why not? My mom asked me why she would have bad luck at her house (not on the lake property) if it is only the lake property that is cursed. I told her maybe it was the new "witch" painting that hangs in her house, and all the years she had the old "witch" painting in her basement. Or maybe anyone who owns the property on the lake will be cursed regardless of where they live.

I could go on and on, but this post is long and boring enough. Needless to say, I am leaning toward the lake property being cursed and causing such problems in my family. It has been in the family since the 1930's, maybe it is time to sell it.

Old 05-11-2017, 11:43 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
IDK. A professional spiritualist or someone who is well versed in the occult would know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal