U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2017, 05:41 PM

448 posts, read 273,539 times

Advertisements

I took this photo back in the early 2000s. On a trip to NOLA we stopped at Myrtles Plantation for a tour. Back then I was using my Minolta X570 with 50mm lens. I had no flash mounted nor was there any harsh light. I was not thinking of taking a photo of the Mirror but the tour guide said they have a lot of strange things when a photo is taken. So with no flash the shutter speed was slow in the dark hall so I had to brace up. Snapped a shot and thought little of it. When I had the film developed This is the photo that was on the film. The frame on either side was fine. I had asked the person at the photo shop [it was a drug store photo shop where they still developed film on site. ] what she thought this was. She said she had no idea. I am not a big believer in the paranormal but love the stories and history. This is why I do ghost tours and the like. I still have the negative and hard copy photo. Its one of only two things I can not really explain that I have witnessed.

My sister in law takes photos inside dusty old theaters and other buildings and with a flash gets dust orbs she says are spirits. I shoot mostly digital Nikon d3100 today. I want to make a trip back in the next few years.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 09:35 PM

331 posts, read 234,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spillerNburr View Post
Its one of only two things I can not really explain that I have witnessed.

But, of course, you didn't actually witness anything, right? You saw the image on the photo after it was developed. I hope I don't come across as dismissive, but a photo of a mirror with a slow shutter speed strikes me as the perfect storm for odd results. Doesn't the shape of the "mystery image" look an awful lot like the bright white area to the left, which I assume is sunlight through a window? If I were really puzzled by this, which I'm not, I'd take the negative to someone at a university or recognized photo lab for analysis.

Old 06-08-2017, 12:33 AM

87,872 posts, read 81,672,970 times
Good point. ^^

OP, when you go back, close the curtains there to the left. Experiment, and take a whole roll of film (or whatever). Try different angles.

Old 06-08-2017, 06:46 AM

448 posts, read 273,539 times
I don't believe in or at least am agnostic about the paranormal. I posted this because it was a strange photo. I have taken a lot of photos over the years and had all kinds of lighting and never anything like this. If I had to give an explanation for it without knowing I would say its indirect light hitting the lens. I have been back to Myrtles several times and taken a photo of the mirror and nothing strange. But no matter what its a strange photo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal