Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 05:15 PM

22,893 posts, read 28,167,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Mark, if you even just read Construction Techniques and Construction Materials in that article you linked to, you will see that what you said is not addressed by this article. It does not offer any explanation - except that they used the wedge and water technique to split the stones. It does however raise another interesting point that he says the Incas did not know of the wheel, although even rolling something along the ground would imply a wheel-like device.
Sure. The Incas were a prehistoric culture (meaning they left no written records). So archaeologists are left to try to figure out things from what the Incas left behind. There are lots of gaps --- not only with the Incas, but with lots of prehistoric cultures. No doubt.

But to leap from there to aliens? There's just not a whit of evidence for that. You might as well leap to explaining the gaps by intervention of the Aesir and Vanir or the gods of Olympus. There is just as much evidence for their existence as extraterrestrial visitors. More, in fact.

There are lots of gaps in the evolutionary fossil record as well. But that doesn't mean we can start filling in those gaps with unicorns and gryphons and minotaurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 08:44 PM

6,917 posts, read 6,832,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S
But to leap from there to aliens? There's just not a whit of evidence for that. You might as well leap to explaining the gaps by intervention of the Aesir and Vanir or the gods of Olympus. There is just as much evidence for their existence as extraterrestrial visitors. More, in fact
No... Not a whit. As far as you are concerned.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:02 AM

Quote:
No... Not a whit. As far as you are concerned.
We have lots of written records of the Aesir and Vanir. We have archaeological evidence that large swaths of people once believed in them. (In fact, some people in Iceland still believe in elves.)

We have none of that for alien visitors.

Old 07-25-2017, 11:17 PM

And the Indian religious texts? Many cultures have oral stories of 'gods' coming from the sky too.

Old 07-26-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
And the Indian religious texts? Many cultures have oral stories of 'gods' coming from the sky too.
And from the underworld. And from the ocean. And from trees. Nothing about aliens or visitors in skyships. Alein afficionados have to read all that into that, and the assumption is based on pure chronological snobbery: That our poor savage forebears were too stupid to realize what they were actually seeing and so deified anything unexplainable as "gods." The problem with that assumption is that it is completely false. Our ancestors were incredibly smart and no less gullible than we are

Old 07-26-2017, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Our ancestors were incredibly smart and no less gullible than we are
I agree but how come all that knowledge has been lost only to be rediscovered fairly recently?

Nothing says our 'gods' have to come from the sky. They could be in the hollow Earth...or deep under the seas. Plenty of Tibetan stories about caves which go deep inside the Earth where there are strange beings living.

Quote:
Nothing about aliens or visitors in skyships.
In the ancient Indian texts there is an account of a battle between gods on skyships I believe who throw thunderbolts. Geologists have found areas of the Earth where there is evidence of fallout from a nuclear bomb blast in the strata which may lend credence to these stories.

Native Americans have gods from the sky, as do Easter Islanders and many other native cultures, so I do not see how you can make statements like this.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:45 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,470,324 times
Quote:
I agree but how come all that knowledge has been lost only to be rediscovered fairly recently?
First this is untrue, not all knowledge was lost and only rediscovered fairly recently. This is a straw man you have created.

Second even if it were true what does that mean? It means nothing and certainly does not mean aliens.

I would like to say that today many people believe that the Japanese (samurai and or ninja's) were the epitome of the pre-gunpowder soldier, but that is not true.

Many cultures had a strong martial culture but when guns came around a lot of that information was lost, not because of aliens but because it was not longer as useful so not taught as much or documented.

People forget that those samurai that they are talking about were running around at a time that Europeans were running around in mass formations of firearms, cavalry and canons.

Old 07-27-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Such as ... ? I'm not sure what you're getting at.

Quote:
In the ancient Indian texts there is an account of a battle between gods on skyships I believe who throw thunderbolts. Geologists have found areas of the Earth where there is evidence of fallout from a nuclear bomb blast in the strata which may lend credence to these stories.

Native Americans have gods from the sky, as do Easter Islanders and many other native cultures.
Sure. But where we part ways is here where lots of people go, "A-ha! See. Aliens!" And they are making a leap for which was have zero evidence. They are inferring based on what they want to be true.

Imagine 5,000 years from now that archaeologists dig up our culture, and all that remains are our movies, with things like THE AVENGERS and SPIDER-MAN and THE MATRIX. There will be some around, eager to point out: "We know 21st century humans couldn't fly and cast thunderbolts and lift cars. So why would they tell stories like this? Why? A-ha! See. Aliens! At least a few 21st century cultures must have been in contact with aliens. Why else would they make movies about a blond Asgardian wielding thunderbolts?"

No and no. People tell stories and paint pictures and carve in rocks and make movies of all sorts of things we don't really believe in. There are lots of good reasons for that. Aliens is not one of them.

Old 03-12-2018, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGuard
First this is untrue, not all knowledge was lost and only rediscovered fairly recently. This is a straw man you have created.
Maybe you didn't realise but you mis-quoted me. I did not say ALL knowledge, I said ALL THAT knowledge. By which I meant, as you probably know, all that knowledge about moving rocks up mountains by some means. They also knew about the stars and about our position in the solar system. Now tell me that this knowledge has been known since the time of Stonehenge, and the other supposed solar calendars.

Quote:
And they are making a leap for which was have zero evidence. They are inferring based on what they want to be true.
No, thats not right. There IS evidence as I stated geologists have found areas which indicate a radioactive fallout in ancient times. Now... go argue with them if you know better.

Quote:
People tell stories and paint pictures and carve in rocks and make movies of all sorts of things we don't really believe in. There are lots of good reasons for that. Aliens is not one of them.
I think you better go tell that to all the various tribes and civilisations who didnt have a written language. I do not think your 'theory' would hold much water with them and is not common sense.

Old 03-12-2018, 04:21 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,091,275 times
The other issue that is unsettling is that the tools required to build such super structures would have had to have been enormous, massive saws to cut the stone, levers all kinds of VERY large tools would have been required. Yet none have been discovered. Somehow these mega structures just exist with no remnents of how they were made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal