U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 09:23 AM

815 posts, read 379,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich View Post
To me, Aliens, UFOs, Big Foot, Nessie, Fairies, secret societies and international conspiracies are BELIEVABLE! But I only "believe" in (accept) things that I can prove or verify for myself. So far, I have found no actual evidence or proof of aliens or UFOs and there's a lot that I cannot prove for myself but its none the less believable to me. I need to know about things rather than stupidly believe in them.
Can you prove that Adolf Hitler died?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 AM

298 posts, read 135,682 times
Sure there are aliens. Just look around you.
A struggling talk-show host on a minor cable channel had as a guest, about ten years ago, a scriptwriter from the affiliated broadcast network. The clothes didn't fit his oddly-shaped body, and, from what he said, you knew he didn't understand human mating and reproduction. It's no surprise that TV shows are so weird and repulsive nowadays, when they have space aliens writing and producing them.
Seriously, if our understanding of physics is correct, interstellar travel is impossible. Even Isaac Asimov eventually conceded that.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:55 AM

8,884 posts, read 9,708,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ferris View Post
A struggling talk-show host on a minor cable channel had as a guest, about ten years ago, a scriptwriter from the affiliated broadcast network. The clothes didn't fit his oddly-shaped body, and, from what he said, you knew he didn't understand human mating and reproduction. It's no surprise that TV shows are so weird and repulsive nowadays, when they have space aliens writing and producing them.
Seriously, if our understanding of physics is correct, interstellar travel is impossible. Even Isaac Asimov eventually conceded that.
Isaac Asimov was afraid to fly on airplanes too.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:07 AM

3,279 posts, read 3,124,253 times
Quote:
Interstellar travel is possible; it's just very slow.

The latest idea is to send out thousands of Coke can sized probes propelled by solar sails. Cheap to produce, easy to launch and they'll just sail off into the void, sending back a pulse of information. Even if 50% of them fail, enough will probably make it to another star some day to send back some interesting information.

Of course, it will take dozens if not hundreds of years to get there, then years for the data to travel back at the speed of light.

The real secret to exploring the galaxy will be wormholes, or warp drive, or some other currently unknown way to "fold space" and bypass physical distances to get us instantly into another star system.

Once we have found life, what to do with it? Bring a sample back? Probably we'll send AI-powered robots to explore planets and send back data.

Here is a wonderful sci-fi/documentary that speculates what it would be like to explore an alien world full of life: "Alien Planet - Darwin IV"

https://youtu.be/mS3mbKvSVDI

Old 07-25-2017, 10:09 AM

867 posts, read 342,550 times
Default IF - the magic word.

Quote:
...if... our understanding of physics is correct, interstellar travel is impossible.
Well, there's the magic word....IF! What IF our understanding is NOT correct? What IF Isaac Asimov has no clue? What IF space aliens look and act exactly like Earthlings? What IF "we" could actually prove something - anything???

Old 07-25-2017, 10:11 AM

867 posts, read 342,550 times
Talking Prove it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailsock View Post
Can you prove that Adolf Hitler died?
LOL, can you prove that JFK died?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:15 AM

7,967 posts, read 4,979,910 times
Quote:
<>Seriously, if our understanding of physics is correct, interstellar travel is impossible. Even Isaac Asimov eventually conceded that.
Interstellar travel involving organic beings is unlikely due to speed over distances. Machines, however, can make these journeys and if carrying organic materials could plant intelligent life all over the galaxy.
"I have seen the aliens, and we is it!"

Old 07-25-2017, 10:16 AM

7,967 posts, read 4,979,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimrich View Post
LOL, can you prove that JFK died?
And Elvis, what about Elvis?

Old 07-25-2017, 10:25 AM

4,783 posts, read 6,415,309 times
I believe in the probability of life on places other than Earth and of life on Earth of a nature we have not yet understood. I am skeptical of intelligent aliens visiting/invading Earth.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:27 AM

1,294 posts, read 609,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Given the sheer vastness of the universe & that we are like a teeny-tiny speck of dust it's almost ignorant to believe there are NOT aliens.
I agree, it's simple minded to believe there are not other life forms or aliens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or