U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 AM

8,002 posts, read 5,171,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Interstellar travel is possible; it's just very slow.
The latest idea is to send out thousands of Coke can sized probes propelled by solar sails. Cheap to produce, easy to launch and they'll just sail off into the void, sending back a pulse of information. Even if 50% of them fail, enough will probably make it to another star some day to send back some interesting information.

Of course, it will take dozens if not hundreds of years to get there<>
Probes might be ineffective. By the time they arrive the civilization that sent them may well have fallen so there is no one to receive the message. How about send out containers of life materials and populate the galaxy over the course of a few tens of millions of years.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 10:59 AM

1,731 posts, read 1,493,913 times
The universe is a very big, very old place.

To assume that our little rock, orbiting a boring star, in a central arm, of a typical galaxy, within a cluster of galaxies in a local group, which is part of a super group, which is part of the universe... is the only intelligent life there is and ever was over the last 13.7 billion years of known universe would be .. well, that'd be quite the assumption, wouldn't it?

There's more out there. Do I believe they're short, big headed, gray dudes with beady eyes? No. I don't believe in those aliens, and if they exist I don't imagine they're terribly interested in us nor have they been so careless as to crash their spaceships in one of the most uninteresting parts of the planet, but it is completely unreasonable to try and claim that humans are the only intelligent life or that Earth is the only planet supporting life.

Old 07-25-2017, 05:38 PM

3,372 posts, read 3,194,778 times
For that matter, how do we know that we're the only intelligent life to have evolved here on Earth? There's been life here for several billion years, and large reptilian, mammalian, and plant life forms have been around for hundreds of millions of years.

The ape ancestors of humans and chimps existed about 7 million years ago. That's nothing, a mere blip. It's possible that some other simian species evolved intelligence 25 millions years ago, had a civilization for a few thousand years, then died out (or killed each other off with an atomic war or something). That's long enough ago that all evidence of it could have been wiped out millions of years ago.

Perhaps one of the dinosaur species evolved high intelligence. Why not? They were fairly intelligent, especially the human-sized hunters who probably worked in teams to bring down prey. They walked on hind legs and had forelimbs that could have evolved fingers similar to ours. No fossils found yet doesn't mean it never happened. Could have happened 150 million years ago, and 140 million years ago all evidence was gone.

It's also worth asking... exactly how intelligent are we, anyway? Probably by some galactic standards, we're drooling idiots. A sufficiently advanced alien species might view us as the equivalent of ants. Not even worth trying to have a conversation with. Let's hope such a species doesn't drop by in the near future; would not end well for us.

Old 07-25-2017, 06:00 PM

9,263 posts, read 17,794,762 times
How do you define 'alien'? I think octopuses may be aliens. They have a copper based blood system and nothing else does. There's probably a lot of other aliens already here but we just may not recognize them?

Old 07-25-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
For that matter, how do we know that we're the only intelligent life to have evolved here on Earth?<>Perhaps one of the dinosaur species evolved high intelligence. Why not?<>
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/133700682661213227

Old 07-25-2017, 07:48 PM

4,532 posts, read 2,214,663 times
I can't imagine that there wouldn't be other life out there. But I surely hope so. It scares the crap out of me to think we might be the most intelligent beings in the universe. My hope is there's others out there who are way smarter.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:10 PM

1,927 posts, read 3,153,011 times
I'm in Colorado at the moment, Boulder to be exact. After some of the "people" I've seen hanging around the city, I'd say I'm a believer.....

Old 07-25-2017, 08:43 PM

13,895 posts, read 10,008,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
I can't imagine that there wouldn't be other life out there. But I surely hope so. It scares the crap out of me to think we might be the most intelligent beings in the universe. My hope is there's others out there who are way smarter.
Lol! I agree. Agree with your first sentence, too.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:46 PM

3,350 posts, read 2,745,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
No, you don't. Or at least many leading thinkers on the subject hope there aren't. Being noticed doesn't sound too great.

Any such beings who noticed would wipe us out with godlike indifference in a heartbeat, in all probability. We'd make as much sense to them as ants crawling on a log. One does not, after all, consult the family pet on major family decisions, certainly not matters of life and death in the cosmos.

The Fermi Paradox cannot be handled in this thread, not by me, being a subject of enormous thought by super-sharp minds probably since their were super-sharp minds. The best I've personally read on the subject is by David Brin. In fact he wrote a fiction book to someone else's question about beer-can sized probes, speculating they are already here, and have been for a long time. Not his best work, but pretty good.

Earlier he wrote a math-based probability assessment on extraterrestrial life, it's online for free. Might have found it at his website.

The recent assessment of the hundred thousand or so "most probable" galaxies that could support life for Kardashev Type III civilizations (heat anomalies) turned up...basically nothing. Odd, no Kardashev Type III civilizations in all these eons...something's not right here.

Way not right. Read up on "Great Filter" to accompany "Fermi Paradox."

There are no aliens, until proven otherwise. We can prove there is intelligent life in one place, here. Nowhere else. There is no evidence for public scientific consumption supporting the conclusion there are aliens visiting the Earth: no artifacts, transmissions, or anything else. The idea of "government coverup" of aliens predisposes a level of intelligence and organized conspiracy in the government that simply does not exist, they aren't capable of such deception for decades on-end. Even the Soviets could not pull that off back in the day.

No Kardashov Type II (objects) have yet been observed in the Milky Way Galaxy. Call me when they are. UFOs are experimental aircraft, drones, and balloons...using Occam's Razor and various *recovered* artifacts and later unveilings of modern aircraft. I'll believe in Aurora Hypersonic planes being a top secret Skunkworks project of Uncle Sam...there is circumstantial evidence it existed...more than I'll believe extraterrestrials zooming around in high(er) tech contraptions.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
<>How about send out containers of life materials and populate the galaxy over the course of a few tens of millions of years.
Turns out that is an unnecessary step since the materials are out there already. So what would be the catalyst?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or