U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:24 PM

687 posts, read 160,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post

Old Souls often indicate a far higher TOLERANCE level, not to mention ability to accept new idea's and rebuff the OLD Singular narrow POV of those Younger/re-encarnated souls in someone you meet. If anybody wonders WHY you for some reason sense to avoid another person.. It's called "Spider Sense" that gives you warning to Stay away. !
I have that spider sense about certain people, possibly because I'm a reincarnated, "Old Soul". There are some people I just want to avoid, can't really say why. Sometimes these people pursue me anyway, but I digress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 09:08 PM

5,516 posts, read 4,680,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
There is no such thing as an afterlife of any sort. It is simply not rational to believe that we, who are the sum total of our memories and experiences as filtered through our meat brains and affected by hormones and hunger and everything that goes along with having a meat body, would, if any part of us were to survive beyond death, be at all the same person. It's simply a ridiculous notion. Might as well believe in fairies.

That said - I would suspect loneliness. It is also possible that the person in question reminds you of someone you knew long ago - I mean a real person that you knew in this lifetime (since it is the only one) or that he/she expresses features of an idealized romantic partner of which you are probably not consciously even aware.

I had a crush on a slightly younger man once. Thankfully it wore of rather quickly, as the guy had no real attraction for me as a person. However I have never before or since been attracted to someone like that and having experienced it once, I'm just as glad I'm not susceptible to that sort of shallow attraction.

Just shrug and move on. It's not a big deal - as long as we're talking about an adult. Hopefully this person was of age even if decades younger.

If the person was/is a child, then you have a problem. Get therapy. Lolita complexes are not OK.
As a person of science I would be silly to make such concrete statements until I have concrete proof of their position. The fact of the matter is we humans still don't know very much about science and the universe compared to where we will be in say 100 years and where many alien civilizations I'm sure are.

There are many cases of kids recalling past life memories that are simply unexplained by current scientific methods. We simply don't have the scientific tools to determine whether there might be a "soul" or not. Until I meet someone who astral projects and has visited or tried to visit our presidents, the moon, mars, or whatever, I do lean towards science on this one though. I need to do more research. I lack the proper knowledge and experience to make any statement either way on the matter. I heard people say they tried to astral project to president Bush (back 10+ years ago) but they were blocked by astral bodyguards. Again all speculation. lol People love to tell stories for fame and money.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:47 AM

78 posts, read 14,642 times
stockwiz, I'm with you. Good old fashioned demand for clear evidence, while maintaining an open mind; holding opinions tentatively with a willingness to change one's views should the evidence warrant.

As I've mentioned, I am a skeptic. But I had another weird experience once. In grad school, I took a nap one afternoon and between a waking and sleeping state I looked down at my body and there was like a spirit body, attached at an angle to my head. I nearly woke up at the moment when this other part of me was about to fly off. And the hinge was at my head. I even played with it a little, making my "feet" go up and down.

I'm not given to hallucinations and no drugs or alcohol were involved. This was an indication, to me, that there is, indeed, a spirit body, and one which may travel about when one sleeps. And by extension, if there is a spirit body then all kinds of other things may be true.

Kirlian Photography, for example, may be evidence. Also some paranormal experiments done by the Russians: a mother rabbit was on a ship at sea and nearby, on shore, her babies were killed, one by one. Every time a baby rabbit was killed, the mother rabbit had a measurable, physiological reaction. (Horrible experiment, to be sure.)

Old 08-14-2017, 05:34 AM

10,228 posts, read 15,673,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumi01 View Post
You act like since you know about Buddhism , that you know about "all" about it.
No person knows all of anything. Don't act like you know my experience. You have your experience and I have mine. Keep you conceitedness out of MINE!
Read the last paragraph of my last post once again. It's not all about you, I don't care about your experience, it's about accurate information to the OP which you are welcome to share and disagree with.

You are new to this forum, take my advice - this forum is heavily moderated, don't take disagreements too personal...you will last longer.

Old 08-14-2017, 05:48 AM

9,491 posts, read 9,323,297 times
Since the question posed in the title of the thread is whether reincarnation is a possibility, I will address that.

There is no evidence that any entity exists that survives the death of a human being. To this point there is no evidence that any of the mental functions or emotional states continue beyond the person's death. There is no evidence that any person has any kind of "spirit", old or otherwise. There is no evidence that anything we think, feel, or do is independent of the physical processes of our brain and other organs.

Before engaging in fantasies about having known someone in a prior life it might be useful to establish the existence of anything that could be the subject of this imagined past life.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:37 AM

10,377 posts, read 17,548,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Read the last paragraph of my last post once again. It's not all about you, I don't care about your experience, it's about accurate information to the OP which you are welcome to share and disagree with.

You are new to this forum, take my advice - this forum is heavily moderated, don't take disagreements too personal...you will last longer.
Aw..it's nice to be appreciated...if that's what it is. Yes, unlike a lot of forums that are very busy, I can and do read every post. Still...report things, because I can get busy and only check in once a day.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:22 PM

252 posts, read 55,167 times
Kara:
Quote:
The apparent intuition that this person was a previously known entity, came first.
Matters quite a bit, so I would not toss aside reincarnation explanation. If you have not, try, thru friendship, exploring key ideas or beliefs with this person. If there is some overlap or similarity, then the case for having an ancient tie is stronger.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:41 PM

78 posts, read 14,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Kara:

Matters quite a bit, so I would not toss aside reincarnation explanation. If you have not, try, thru friendship, exploring key ideas or beliefs with this person. If there is some overlap or similarity, then the case for having an ancient tie is stronger.
Yes, we are friends. And to be frank, there are so many key ideas in common it is a little frightening. But genuine love is selfless.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:35 PM

962 posts, read 294,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
As a person of science I would be silly to make such concrete statements until I have concrete proof of their position. The fact of the matter is we humans still don't know very much about science and the universe compared to where we will be in say 100 years and where many alien civilizations I'm sure are.

There are many cases of kids recalling past life memories that are simply unexplained by current scientific methods. We simply don't have the scientific tools to determine whether there might be a "soul" or not. Until I meet someone who astral projects and has visited or tried to visit our presidents, the moon, mars, or whatever, I do lean towards science on this one though. I need to do more research. I lack the proper knowledge and experience to make any statement either way on the matter. I heard people say they tried to astral project to president Bush (back 10+ years ago) but they were blocked by astral bodyguards. Again all speculation. lol People love to tell stories for fame and money.
Seriously. Children have great imaginations - if they can have imaginary friends they can certainly have imaginary past lives.

I, myself, at the age of 5 came up on my own with many Buddhist concepts directly related to the idea of reincarnation. I had no knowledge or understanding of reincarnation at the time. I had never heard of Hinduism or Buddhism or even Islam. And I freaked my mother out by asking her who I was before I died. With her Midwest-sensibilities and total lack of knowledge of incarnation as well, she became very frightened that I thought I was going to die soon. In my turn, I became very impatient with her obtuseness. "No! I know I'm not going to die right now, I mean who was I before the LAST time I died!"

Plus I have a very strong "memory" - totally constructed - of sitting in a hospital hallway after having had a miscarriage. The smells, the feeling of emotional pain, right down to the memory of what I was wearing (hard leather shoes and no socks and a 30s style flowered dress) all very strong.

Also completely imaginary.

Up to about the age of 10 or so I persisted in the pursuit of my "understanding" of reincarnation - still without resource to any actual information on it. When it was suggested to me by a teacher that reincarnation was impossible because there were more people in the world today, I actually wrote a paper about how this could be balanced out if one considered ALL living things to have souls - not only on earth but throughout the Universe. Perhaps, my 10-year-old self opined, many of our extra souls came from having previously been now-extinct animals, or even plants. More people - fewer other species. It was obvious, right? Plus - all those souls looking for new homes after their planet is destroyed when their sun goes Nova. Those guys had to go somewhere, right? Why not Earth?

NONE of that means that reincarnation is real. The whole way these ideas get started is that somebody imagines it to start with.

There has never been a verifiable "past life" regression. They get debunked regularly. Just because a few people imagine such things is not proof of their reality. I can imagine Winnie the Pooh perfectly well. It doesn't make him real.

As for the Dalai Lama - he has stated that he is likely to end the historical method of selecting the next Dalai Lama and has abdicated as the leader of his country. From now on, religious and political power will be separate. He has never discussed past lives, if any. He is, as much as he has been able to be, a man of modern science and modern sensibilities. With that outlook it is impossible to accept the idea of emanation or reincarnation. There is no evidence to support it. No OBJECTIVE evidence at least.

I believe it is his intention NOT to select a 15th Dalai Lama - I think it strongly likely this is the reason why he states he intends to wait to the last possible moment to make the decision (like as close as possible to his death so there is little or no time for argument), and the religion will have to settle for more mundane leadership going forward.

Seriously. The imaginings of children and people who did too many drugs in the 60s is not evidence of reincarnation. While it is true that absence of evidence is not evidence of absence - "you can't prove a negative" - it is also true that absence of evidence is, in fact, absence of evidence. And there is resoundingly an absence of evidence to support the idea that there is any such thing as a "next life" in any of the forms human beings have imagined.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:56 PM

962 posts, read 294,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
stockwiz, I'm with you. Good old fashioned demand for clear evidence, while maintaining an open mind; holding opinions tentatively with a willingness to change one's views should the evidence warrant.

As I've mentioned, I am a skeptic. But I had another weird experience once. In grad school, I took a nap one afternoon and between a waking and sleeping state I looked down at my body and there was like a spirit body, attached at an angle to my head. I nearly woke up at the moment when this other part of me was about to fly off. And the hinge was at my head. I even played with it a little, making my "feet" go up and down.

I'm not given to hallucinations and no drugs or alcohol were involved. This was an indication, to me, that there is, indeed, a spirit body, and one which may travel about when one sleeps. And by extension, if there is a spirit body then all kinds of other things may be true.

Kirlian Photography, for example, may be evidence. Also some paranormal experiments done by the Russians: a mother rabbit was on a ship at sea and nearby, on shore, her babies were killed, one by one. Every time a baby rabbit was killed, the mother rabbit had a measurable, physiological reaction. (Horrible experiment, to be sure.)
Kirlian photography as any sort of proof of spirituality has long been debunked. Its just an interesting electromagnetic phenomena.

Also having a dream about looking down at your own body and your head being hinged is not an out of body experience. Just a dream. People have them all the time.

Clearly you are nowhere nearly as skeptical as you would like to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal