U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 09:46 PM

4,923 posts, read 2,875,422 times

Advertisements

Actually it was my uncle.

As I said, he wasn't expecting to run up on this thing. He was expecting to find a cow being dragged down by an alligator. As he got within eyeshot of the creek he zoomed the camera in which significantly degraded the quality. Rest assured now that he knows what he saw he as well as those of us who have seen it are just as disappointed in the poor quality and his decision to stop the camera. As he got closer he stopped the camera on accident. Once he walked past the tree line and could actually make out what it was, he tried to restart the camera without taking his eyes off of whatever it was. He was afraid that this thing might charge him.

For me, the belief doesn't come from the video since it's not very good. It comes from knowing my uncle and knowing that he has never and would never make up something for the sake of conversation. In his 65 years he has never been that type of person. In my dad's 62 years he has never seen my uncle this disturbed. He was more disturbed than when he lost his 18 month old daughter.

To hear my dad talk about how upset he was when he came in the shop and to tell in my dad's voice on the phone how much that disturbed him is what made me realize that he absolutely saw something. At the end of the day though, it's likely that the only person who can validate this is my uncle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 11:18 PM

2,108 posts, read 2,542,584 times
Welcome to the club. Those who believe in Bigfoot club.

There will always be people like you were, the ones who dont believe and who have that encounter-moment to come sometime in the future. As you have proved, it does not even have to be a firsthand encounter either. As a previous skeptic, I assume you OP understand their disbelief too.

I find things in this life are often bizarre and challenging of our beliefs.

Old 08-17-2017, 12:06 AM

64,657 posts, read 54,231,258 times
Thanks for the additional narrative, OP. It helps. I hear what you're saying, about your uncle being seriously freaked out. It's a good story, once you add the details, and explain a bit.

I wanted to believe B'foot was real. I looked at a lot of videos online. ALL of them have been debunked, and very credibly so. So I gave up. But something like what you describe--a "thing" wrestling with a deer in the water, couldn't have been faked by a guy in a giant gorilla suit. Not like the video from a cop car on its regularly-scheduled nightly patrol down rural roads, where suddenly a bigfoot runs across the road in front of the car. That's easy to fake. Your story isn't.

I guess we all need to take zoom-lens cameras with us, anytime we're going out into isolated areas, just in case.

Old 08-17-2017, 03:08 AM

2,108 posts, read 2,542,584 times
Quote:
I wanted to believe B'foot was real.
There are some serious academics like Professor Jeff Meldrum who have made it their major topic of research. He has Bigfoot foot and hand prints from all over the world. I suspect someone like that would realise it was all a hoax if that is all it was. But.. even academics can be fooled sometimes too I suppose.

Old 08-17-2017, 06:54 AM

The main reason that my uncle has chosen to keep his identity anonymous was because of the fear of backlash from what he saw. We are from an extremely small town and he is a business owner. Telling people what he saw openly would likely cause his business to suffer and tarnish his reputation. I can understand why he wouldn't want his name out there. People back home don't believe in anything related to urban mythology. If it isn't discussed in the Bible, it isn't real in their eyes. Neither did he (he is a deacon in his church) until this event.

Further, the land that he was on is a private hunting camp and the owners are very strict about who gains access to it. If you didn't grow up there, you have little to no chance of finding it because of the remoteness of the area. If he were to have put his name behind this and someone figured out the location and went there to have something happen his second concern was that the owner would blame him for giving the location.

I did ask him to take me there on our next trip home to visit since he has a gate key, but not only did I get a no, I got a very stern "I better not ever find out that you went down there" speech. He is more concerned that I would stumble upon this thing and get hurt. Understandably so. I would like to go down with my GoPro and film the area. I'll have to keep working on him and see if I can sway him.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:50 AM

2,007 posts, read 1,164,091 times
First, let me say I am a believer, and have had 3 instances that a Bigfoot would explain. I will not go into that. But I do think there are more cases of mistaken identity than actual evidence Bigfoot does exist. Im not doubting you uncle seriously believes he saw one, but this video shows what I think he saw, and has details to show it wasnt a Bigfoot he actually saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHL_d9xWUuc

Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 AM

4,136 posts, read 1,979,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I find things in this life are often bizarre and challenging of our beliefs.
I do not find these things challenging. As a matter of fact there is nothing in this thread that I find challenging. Even the poor video and the fact that the camera was turned off makes a lot of sense to me.

Old 08-17-2017, 09:17 AM

2,507 posts, read 424,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
That is the part that for the life of me I do not understand. Great shots of bushes, but when it comes time to video bigfoot, he turns the phone off???
Pretty easy to understand. Whatever or whoever was making the sounds was not bigfoot.

Old 08-17-2017, 10:26 AM

13,191 posts, read 17,890,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Sure makes it easy to refute him by his turning it off.
It just doesn't make any sense to turn off your camera at the pivotal moment. You'll notice that history never recorded ...

"And lo! when the next day dawned, in the distance we saw the shores of India. So I threw the ships logs in the ocean, and we turned around and went home." (Christopher Columbus)

"Mr. Watson--come here--I want to see you." And so Alexander Graham Bell then cut the wires and tossed the telephone into the garbage. (wrote no historian ever)

"And just when I was about to be the first man to step on the moon, I thought: Nah. Maybe another time. So I climbed back into the module." (Neil Armstrong)

"I knew a chain of fast-food restaurants could make me millions, so I decided to go sell vacuum cleaners instead." (Ray Kroc)

Old 08-17-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
First, let me say I am a believer, and have had 3 instances that a Bigfoot would explain. I will not go into that. But I do think there are more cases of mistaken identity than actual evidence Bigfoot does exist. Im not doubting you uncle seriously believes he saw one, but this video shows what I think he saw, and has details to show it wasnt a Bigfoot he actually saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHL_d9xWUuc

Edit... Watched the video. It was a good effort, but.....

The buck that he showed the clip of didn't make remotely the same sound as the deer in the water. A buck has a very quick and forceful grunt. This sound was low and drawn out. Deer don't do that. (It was a doe, btw... they make a different sound than a buck) If the doe had made the sound, it would be a loud bleeting noise when in distress, not a low growl.
One snap of an alligator's jaws would have likely rendered the deer immobilized. Yet, my uncle said the deer walked away scared, but ok with no physical injuries seen.
Yes, there are alligators there.... that area has one of the highest populations of alligators in South Alabama. The creek is less than 1/2 mile off the river, so it's not unreasonable for an alligator to make its way up the creek. We've seen it before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
Pretty easy to understand. Whatever or whoever was making the sounds was not bigfoot.
What was it? In my 35 years on this earth, I have never heard the sound. Nor has my uncle or my dad or any other person that lives there who has seen the video. I don't particularly know WHAT the sound was, but it was not something any of us have ever heard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
It just doesn't make any sense to turn off your camera at the pivotal moment. You'll notice that history never recorded ...

As I said before, he said that he wasn't anticipating what he saw. He expected to see an alligator and a cow. We've seen that before, and it isn't really anything to video tape. By the time he realized what was going on, the video was already off. He did make efforts to restart the camera but failed at hitting the record button on the screen. At that point in time his concern was more for his safety. Not winning the next Youtube award.

I don't particularly see much in the video either as of yet. MK is still working on cleaning them up as best he can from my understanding. But.... I have a difficult time believing that my uncle mistakenly identified an alligator as an 8 ft tall hairy creature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal