U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 AM

916 posts, read 303,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Until you factor in a vital element: Food.

A large mammal requires an incredible amount of daily calories to survive. Large primates in places like Borneo and equatorial Africa are surrounded by nutrient-rich vegetation, and they basically spend most of every day eating.

Nowhere in North America has that. Nowhere. A large primate can't survive off pine cones and branches. Any large mammal would have to supplement its diet with meat, much like bears do. But even bears still can't get enough calories to survive the winter, which is why they have evolved to hibernate.

So, if Bigfoot is part of the natural environment, we're talking about a minimum population of 500+ huge mammals who have to hunt and kill meat to survive. For such a population of meat-eaters to exist in the 20th century is nigh on impossible.

Conclusion: If Bigfoot exists (IF!!!), then it must be a supernatural creature.
Good points, BUT: the Bushmen of central Australia, a desolate area with little game or vegetation, have been studied and seem to do quite well on a diet consisting of about half the daily protein intake usually considered adequate. They've been found to harbor an unusual intestinal bacteria species that manufactures large amounts of amino acids-- enough to compensate for the protein deficient diet. A case where the human is parasitizing the bacteria.

Maybe BigFoot is doing this too. But I still agree with your conclusion!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 09:38 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
25,881 posts, read 44,696,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Uh, Josh Gates is a scuba diver, climber, traveler, and television personality. He has no legitimate science credentials.
Other than a Tufts University degree in archaeology (and another in drama).

Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 AM

9,844 posts, read 9,124,323 times
There is so much nutritional vegetation for BF to eat outside of the PNW than most can ever imagine. Million and millions of acres of crop land for them to graze on. Millions of acres of native plants. Millions of deer in most every state. It is just silly to think there is only BF in the PNW and that there is not adequate food for them

Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 AM

10,561 posts, read 16,013,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Old hairy is known to lay up alongside road and highways in patches of brush that you would never think they would be in.

Remember they always follow the creeks.
So guys, the lesson here is if you are driving and need to pee on the side of the road, be careful where you aim that thing.

Old 08-24-2017, 11:59 AM

13,239 posts, read 17,926,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Good points, BUT: the Bushmen of central Australia, a desolate area with little game or vegetation, have been studied and seem to do quite well on a diet consisting of about half the daily protein intake usually considered adequate. They've been found to harbor an unusual intestinal bacteria species that manufactures large amounts of amino acids-- enough to compensate for the protein deficient diet. A case where the human is parasitizing the bacteria.
A vital difference between Australian Bushmen and Bigfoot:

We have lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of actual evidence that Australian Bushmen really exist. You want photos? Lots available. Video? That too. You can even learn their language. Go visit them. Collect their DNA. You could probably even collect a stool sample, though they might think you a bit odd for asking.

Bigfoot? Not so much.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:00 PM

13,239 posts, read 17,926,357 times
Quote:
Get back with me when you have collected the actual facts.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:32 PM
KCZ

799 posts, read 317,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Other than a Tufts University degree in archaeology (and another in drama).
Like I said, not a scientist, although I'll grant that he's way better educated than many or most of the television personalities dealing with unexplained phenomena.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:21 PM

414 posts, read 220,792 times
I began researching the Bigfoot phenomenon on a totally different path, info for a kid's story I was working on where a BF plays a minor role. I was researching to become familiar with known or familiar behaviors, regions of habitation, vernacular associated with BF, etc. so I wouldn't come off sounding like a big dummy about the critter. Wull, 8 books, joining two BF research organizations, seeing scientific evidence, and several BF forums LATER......I'm simply astounded by how much I DIDN'T know before about BF!

I can only speak for myself, but I've learned too much for it to all be a big hoax. Impossible. If you don't believe, do the research yourself, there's PLENTY for the reading/seeing! I'm certainly not going to hand it to anyone on a silver platter. Do the work like I did and discover. Most people who make up their minds to not believe, won't believe evidence even when it is handed to them on a silver platter...so why waste time on them? I've got way better things to do than try to convince total strangers online, who are really usually just looking for arguments to pick, given the amount of time they apparently spend online doing just that.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:22 PM

4,182 posts, read 2,009,645 times
There's way too much confirmation bias among the Bigfoot experts. Looking for signs of Bigfoot rather than just examining evidence. For instance if they come across an odd tree break they immediately jump to the conclusion that Bigfoot must have made it rather than just looking at it as an odd tree break and examining all possible causes.

Could there be something like Bigfoot out there? Sure, but unlikely. Nothing really compelling to say that it is some giant undiscovered ape rather than some really hairy mountain man/hipster out for a hike.

Seems if they were out there in a breeding population a simple sweep with a thermal camera from a helicopter would find them by the dozens. But instead we've got guys hooting out into the darkness and knocking on trees and jumping to conclusions whenever they hear some sound after that.

Last edited by notnamed; 08-24-2017 at 05:33 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 05:50 PM

916 posts, read 303,869 times
Quote:
There is so much nutritional vegetation for BF to eat outside of the PNW than most can ever imagine. Million and millions of acres of crop land for them to graze on. Millions of acres of native plants. Millions of deer in most every state. It is just silly to think there is only BF in the PNW and that there is not adequate food for them
I didn't say there wasn't enough food. I said there wasn't enough contiguous forest habitat east of the Miss. R. with a sparse human population in order for them to avoid detection. BTW- foraging in row crops would be easily detected, so they're not doing that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal