Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2017, 01:37 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times

Advertisements

Yes. I returned. For those of you who remember, I made my first pilgrimage to the Lily Dale Assembly last year, at about this time. We did not stay on the grounds, and we went with a number of other curious couples.

This year we planned a bit more - but not as much as we will next year. I've also learned more about Lily Dale, and how to make your experience more enjoyable and enlightening.

This year, DH and I went as a couple. We stayed on the grounds in two places - a guest house called "Sunset View" for two nights, then we moved to the very haunted first hotel in Lily Dale - The Maplewood.

We had a good experience at both places.

What I like about the Maplewood is the "front porch camaraderie" that occurs after the daily events are over.

The Maplewood has rooms with private baths and air conditioning. Others, without either - however, you do have a sink in your room.

If I had to describe it, I'd say that it is a miniature "Overlook" - of "The Shining" fame.
People have reported that the hotel is very spiritually active. Especially the third floor, which is where we stayed. I met someone at Lily Dale who stayed at another hotel, not because she was afraid, but because the last time she stayed there she could not sleep because of the noise and the children laughing in the hallway.

I only heard one loud BANG.

The desk receptionist told me which rooms had the most activity, and which are less active. They actually keep a record of this. Some people request "active" rooms. Others do not. The third floor is the most "active" and was once a stable - so the sound of horses is reported frequently.

I heard nothing in terms or horses or laughing children. Just that big bang.

I did see two mediums there. Both were very different, but excellent in their own way. I would recomend either of them to anyone visiting Lily Dale.

This year, I learned that late August is NOT the best time to visit Lily Dale. Weekends are the worst.

1. Book your hotel or boarding house early. March is best.

2. Book your medium appointment before you arrive. We did not do this either time. So we spent too much time on our phones trying to get appointments. This year I was fortunate. Last year, not so much.

3. Try to visit in the middle of the week.

4. You will walk a lot. Take comfortable shoes.

5.Plan ahead! If you want to take a certain class or seminar - do this BEFORE you arrive.

6. Lily Dale is beautiful. It's on Lake Casadega, and it is literally in the woods. It is surrounded by old growth forests. Even if you do not personally see a medium, there are many free activities - and others that are available for a minimal charge. The place is relaxing and calming, beyond belief. It's a wonderful place to decompress, and center yourself.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

We met people from as far away as Utah and California. It's a special place!

If anyone is interested in a Lily Dale meet up next Summer, please let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 03:50 PM

3,222 posts, read 4,569,754 times
Interesting and so glad you had a great time!
Gotta ask: how does a stable situate on the 3rd floor of a structure?

Old 08-24-2017, 04:52 PM

3,299 posts, read 3,025,823 times
This sounds wonderful--I have always wanted to visit Lily Dale. Thanks for the info--maybe I can persuade my sister that we should take a trip there!

Old 08-24-2017, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Interesting and so glad you had a great time!
Gotta ask: how does a stable situate on the 3rd floor of a structure?

I asked the same thing!

Apparently, in the 1880s, if there was a good structure that was not falling apart. they would lift it, and build beneath it. When Lily Dale began,it was a camp. People stayed in tents.

In the 1880s and 1890s, it grew in popularity, along with the interest in Spiritualism.

The need for a proper hotel - rather than camp grounds, became evident. So the people in charge decided to use an existing structure near the lake, and use it as the 4th floor of the Maplewood Hotel.

We were o the 3rd floor. The former stable was above us. So we were on the second oldest portion of the building.

The most active floor of the hotel is the third. However, we were not in the most active area. The most active area are the rooms on the four corners of every floor. Especially the third.
There are active rooms on each floor, though.

That was a good question! It seemed counter intuitive tat they would build beneath a structure, but it seems that was not uncommon back then.

Here is a link to The Maplewood. If you are looking for modern conveniences, it may not be for you. However, it has Wi-Fi.

It overlooks the lake and sunset is a beautiful experience!

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser..._New_York.html

Last edited by sheena12; 08-24-2017 at 05:06 PM..

Old 08-24-2017, 05:08 PM

I was thinking that it would be a great place for an Unexplained Mysteries and the Paranormal meet up, next year.

Anyone interested?

I would also recommend that you watch the HBO documentary "No One Dies at Lily Dale". You can see it on Youtube.

Old 08-25-2017, 12:35 AM

6,948 posts, read 6,872,488 times
Many full moons ago I used to go to Stanstead Hall in the UK which is a similar place run by the Spiritualists in the UK. They too held weekends and week-long seminars with well known mediums visiting. Now, the only thing I remember is the large heavy circular table on the first floor which was used for seances in days gone by.

I do remember a healing session where everyone was lying down not touching each other on the floor and feeling my legs being stretched by unseen hands which was an interesting experience. My back ached slightly after the session due to the stretching too.

yes these events are an interesting place to go if you want experiences, as with all those people with expectations and energies mingling there is almost bound to be something happening. You dont necessarily have to "believe" either but it does make it more difficult for the mediums to receive impressions from your energy fields if you are an active skeptic because your fields are closed and prickly.

Unfortunately now I feel it is rather like a circus show but it is true the atmosphere is pretty calm and peaceful so even if you do not go to have any readings in these events, the environment is usually pretty good for the soul. I do think they are a stage in our progression from totally asleep to totally aware and are necessary to show folks what goes on which cannot be seen by most people.

Old 08-29-2017, 08:27 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,073 times
This is the last weekend. What hotel or rooming house do you suggest? Which mediums? Will it be packed?

Old 08-31-2017, 12:47 PM

2,481 posts, read 2,235,008 times
Casper the Friendly Ghost?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal