Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 10:53 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times

Advertisements

I thought Anna Anderson was debunked with dna tests?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 11:12 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Telekinesis

Old 09-01-2017, 12:22 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelinLow View Post
Spontaneous human combustion comes to my mind.
yes.. that... That kind of scares me because my mom told me a story of her neighbor who was found burned like that with no evidence of anything else being caught on fire.

So there's that.. and those Russian hikers at the Dyatlov pass that were found mutilated and far from their campsite.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:50 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
I thought Anna Anderson was debunked with dna tests?

Yes, and it was also thoroughly debunked in this book. (Excellent, btw.)

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/...f-the-romanovs

P.S. Thanks to everyone else for all the great suggestions.

Old 09-01-2017, 02:57 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
The Chilean Navy released infared footage of a UFO after studying it for two years. Unlike our government, they declassify this stuff when they're finished.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IsxvOcUCR0

Old 09-02-2017, 03:02 AM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You might be right, and what you're saying makes sense. But I like the legend, at least. In a blatantly suburban area like Bartlett, it's nice to have a bit of historic mystery.
Maybe the story started after this crash in 1995? Not too far from Bartlett, and 7 high school kids died... closest thing I could find on it.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...story,amp.html

But yeah, probably just one of those urban legends!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:18 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
It'd be haunted places for me. I don't believe in ghosts, but I do believe this: when a severe tragedy happens somewhere; it "imprints" on that specific place. Which sometimes, although not always, causes weird things to happen there in the future.

There's one place like that near me: Munger Road in Bartlett, IL (west suburb of Chicago). According to the story, a school bus once stalled on railroad tracks, and couldn't move. It got hit by a fast-moving train, killing everyone inside. Today, if you stop your car on those tracks and put it in neutral, you'll feel it slowly move off the tracks. And if you sprinkle talcum powder on your rear bumper, you'll sometimes see child-sized handprints afterwards. Allegedly, it's the spirits of the kids in the school bus pushing you to safety.
This is the site: https://goo.gl/maps/dYEUegW2q2K2.

I never tried it, because there's no way I'm stopping my car on train tracks, but just saying.
It's interesting how certain legends have things in common. I remember as a child my Dad had stories of a similar place called Spook Hill: https://www.tripsavvy.com/spook-hill-about-1513194.

You park your car halfway down the hill and it slowly rolls back up. My dad told us of a lake nearby that the waves form when there's no wind and if you put talcum powder on the front of the car and let it roll up, you'll see hand prints on your car! There were tales of Indian and Pirate curses.

Apparently it's an optical illusion but still cool in my book!

Old 09-02-2017, 07:23 AM

4,067 posts, read 2,273,714 times
My two obsessions growing up were:

Curse of Oak Island. What the hell was buried there and it must have been damn good for them to go through all the trouble. There's a TV show on it but not much has been found yet.

Coral Castle. For a tiny man with health issues to build all of that without machinery is just incredible. He claimed he knew the secrets of building the pyramids. Really fascinating story.

Old 09-02-2017, 08:14 AM

2,648 posts, read 2,315,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandraMoore66 View Post
My two obsessions growing up were:

Curse of Oak Island. What the hell was buried there and it must have been damn good for them to go through all the trouble. There's a TV show on it but not much has been found yet.

Coral Castle. For a tiny man with health issues to build all of that without machinery is just incredible. He claimed he knew the secrets of building the pyramids. Really fascinating story.
I visited there as a teen and it truly is amazing and mind boggling to see all the items he created and how many there are. It must have taken him decades to create all those. Everything he made was usually oversized but full of intricate detail. I have no idea how the guy did all that but it was amazing to see.

Old 09-02-2017, 09:38 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,875,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe the story started after this crash in 1995? Not too far from Bartlett, and 7 high school kids died... closest thing I could find on it.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.chica...story,amp.html
I remember that one! It was a big discussion topic in my social studies class (6th grade). We wrote essays about it, and did debate exercises on improving railroad crossings. But I'm sure they aren't connected. The kids in the Fox River Grove crash were high schoolers, while handprints in the Munger Road legend are child-sized and it happened decades before the real-life crash.

Another Chicago-area paranormal mystery I know of, is Cuba Road, that runs from Long Grove to Barrington. It was first settled almost 200 years ago, and outside of a cutesy, theme park-like downtown, remains rural-looking to this day. Anyway, there are two version of the story. The first one is the White Memorial Cemetery, where you can see ghosts of early settlers, and glowing orbs of lights flying overhead. The second one is a farm around Rainbow Road, where a mental hospital (insane asylum) once stood, and was torn down. Reports say you can see shadowy figures wandering around on the site; they're the ghosts of patients who were abused or tortured in the hospital.

I'm wondering at this point if the proliferation of urban legends in North America is because of its short history; unlike Europe, Middle East, or even South America. Virtually everything is no older than 300 years, with the West Coast being just 100 years old. There are very few castles, temples, burial mounds, stone-paved plazas, etc. to be awed by; the kind of things that just seem to breathe history of past civilizations at you, and give you that borderline-spiritual feeling. So, many people long for some mystery in their daily lives. As a result, urban legends emerge, where "somebody, somewhere" was killed at some historic point in the past.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 09-02-2017 at 09:57 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal