Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2019, 10:26 AM

5,195 posts, read 1,870,058 times

Advertisements

I first saw this pic on ghoststudy back in 2006. I know it could be fake, but how would someone fake a picture like this? It has creeped me out for all these years. It looks like a brief exposure time without any blur in the water flow so the detail in the face is pretty good. What is this? The amount of evil emotion in the face is scary.

I tried editing a photo of a waterfall to give the appearance of features created by "holes" in the water, but it's nigh on impossible to do it realistically as in this photo.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2019, 12:08 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Anything is possible with the photo workshops. Just because you had no luck; does not mean that the photograph cannot be fake. The secret to editing a photograph is to blow it up and then take it apart or change the color pixel by pixel. Try this free program for starters: https://photofantasy.en.softonic.com/. My late wife used to use three different programs and I have no doubt that she could have created that waterfall picture fairly easy. While not all of her work was professional grade; there are many pictures on her old blog that looked semi-professional: Marie's Raccoons. She loved to play with our wildlife pictures.

Old 02-02-2019, 12:58 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,939,418 times
Image manipulation software comes with a myriad of tools for fiddling with an image -- you can also import an image into a painting or special effects tool and create all sorts of effects with it. See these imaginary photoshopped animals, for example:

https://www.reckontalk.com/9-weird-p...-hybrids-bred/

Old 02-02-2019, 01:40 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
I first saw this pic on ghoststudy back in 2006. I know it could be fake, but how would someone fake a picture like this? It has creeped me out for all these years. It looks like a brief exposure time without any blur in the water flow so the detail in the face is pretty good. What is this? The amount of evil emotion in the face is scary.

I tried editing a photo of a waterfall to give the appearance of features created by "holes" in the water, but it's nigh on impossible to do it realistically as in this photo.
Did you see the newspaper photo after 9/11, that showed a devil's face in the smoke issuing from the buildings? Do you think the face might have been real?

Old 02-02-2019, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did you see the newspaper photo after 9/11, that showed a devil's face in the smoke issuing from the buildings? Do you think the face might have been real?
Mark Philips, the photographer claims it is real, and said it's not in his interest to throw away a 20 year reputation by doctoring images. If I were to trust him and his claim then I'd believe it's real, but since that's still second hand information I can't be 100% sure.

Seems to me that the odds of capturing a well formed face in smoke in that particular moment in time are very slim.

Old 02-02-2019, 03:13 PM

The Badlands Guardian is a realistic-looking Native American head in Alberta Canada, complete with headdress formed by soil erosion. No human or paranormal intervention involved. It's pareidolia; our brains are hardwired to look for human faces in things - rock formations, clouds, water, smoke.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/...lands-guardian
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareidolia

Old 02-02-2019, 05:32 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,127,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eman Resu VIII View Post
Mark Philips, the photographer claims it is real, and said it's not in his interest to throw away a 20 year reputation by doctoring images. If I were to trust him and his claim then I'd believe it's real, but since that's still second hand information I can't be 100% sure.

Seems to me that the odds of capturing a well formed face in smoke in that particular moment in time are very slim.
I tried to hunt down that picture and see that it is on: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...49239795722143. Of course they have a vested interest in people believing. They also edited the picture so we do not see the right side of the picture. The right side of the picture you posted looks like it is from a movie studio or water park (it looks like a skull). If it was for a movie or waterpark; it could easily have been made to look like a ghost with air jets to divert water from the eyes, nose and mouth. That way you could get a photographer to swear the picture is real; although it would only be real of an non-real event.

If you can track down a panoramic picture or find the exact location of this ghost waterfalls; please let us know.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:45 PM

10,048 posts, read 18,062,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I tried to hunt down that picture and see that it is on: https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=...49239795722143. Of course they have a vested interest in people believing. They also edited the picture so we do not see the right side of the picture. The right side of the picture you posted looks like it is from a movie studio or water park (it looks like a skull). If it was for a movie or waterpark; it could easily have been made to look like a ghost with air jets to divert water from the eyes, nose and mouth. That way you could get a photographer to swear the picture is real; although it would only be real of an non-real event.

If you can track down a panoramic picture or find the exact location of this ghost waterfalls; please let us know.
But come on, it's much more fun to believe it's supernatural!

Actually, my first thought when I saw the photo in the OP is that it looked like the face of one of my kitties when he's about to swipe at his sibling for grabbing his food or some such reason. But then I realized: oh my gosh, that photographer snapped a photo of my angry kitty! How did he do that? It is magical!

Old 02-02-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post

Interesting. I am hoping it is fake, 'cause it would be scary otherwise. The comments on the original page said it was in Johor, Malaysia. But the person who posted it could have made that up. Google image searches for waterfalls in Johor revealed no such waterfall looking like that one (with those rocks next to it).

Old 02-02-2019, 06:24 PM

One way you could easily reproduce it is - create a face in a drawing or painting tool. In Photoshop or a similar program, import the falls photo into one layer, and the face image into a second layer. Place the face layer above the falls layer, and set its transparency so that the water behind it partially shows through. You can also tweak the transparency so that parts of the face are more opaque than others (maybe using a third layer as a transparency mask).

And I have to say, it does kind of look like the face of a P.O.ed kitteh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal