U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-01-2017, 10:01 AM
 
Location: USA
7,175 posts, read 5,171,656 times
Reputation: 11883

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
You seem butthurt, like other people not very well read on the different mysteries and unexplained things of the B.C. era.. you think you watched 5 minutes of Ancient Aliens Debunked and know something. Whereas the people I follow and read have just as much knowledge as academics, if not more, or they are a part of academia. The problem is you're using a non sequitur and saying since they never found buried treasure on Oak Island this means there's no unsolved things in the past lolz.
And you seem eager to pick fights and place your faith in what you want to believe vs. reality, like basically everyone else who buys into this sensationalized nonsense. Extreme claims require extreme proof. You want to "prove" that scientifically verified and accepted facts are wrong because of "people" you follow who you claim are "more knowledgeable" than the subject matter experts, than cough up the proof. No doubt it's more sensationalized TV or internet crap, random speculations - "because we don't know everything, my absurd theory could be valid," or people who have lost their minds with time or who have valid experience in one area trying to leverage that into being experts in all fields. Whatever the "proof," it'll surely be nonsense.

There is no evidence for aliens building the pyramids, ancient Egyptians in the Americas thousands of years ago, cars with internal combustion engines that run on water, sunken cities of Atlantis full of magic or technology advanced beyond our own, time travel, aliens in the bible, and so on. It is all utter crap. An "unsolved mystery" does NOT translate into magic, aliens, or other wild conspiracy claims, and most "unsolved mysteries" are far less "unsolved" and "mysterious" than people would have others believe.

One of the must secure projects in world history was the Manhattan Project to build the first atomic weapon. The secrets for that got out in only a few years, and then the Russians had such a weapon. And yet you expect me to believe in all these absurd conspiracies? Come on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-01-2017, 01:12 PM
 
2,424 posts, read 1,608,783 times
Reputation: 4404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I'm watching ancient aliens and they were talking about how there are hundreds of pyramids spread throughout the world and not much is known about them including the HOW they were built, WHEN and the most important the WHY?


What I think is odd is that throughout the world there is no one that knows the answers to these questions.
In some case the peoples who built their pyramids are long gone but that is not the case in Egypt. One would think that there would have been something passed down through the centuries in either written or oral tradition.
The main pyramids in Giza have always been there looming over the city so one would think that a child would ask their grandparent what are those things and the story would be told and repeated over and over again through the centuries to today but somewhere the stories stopped.

My wife thinks that there was something evil about the pyramids so when the child asked they were told that we don't talk about those things and the story died.

Who knows but it does seem odd that given hundreds of pyramids all over the world that there isn't someone who kept the stories alive and passed them down through the generations.

Ideas ?
We know how pyramids were made. People prefer to tell 'ghost stories,' and honestly, I can see why: it's fun.

A recent article explains how they might have been made (I'll try to find a link later). Also, a number of years ago, someone on a TV show constructed a pyramid and detailed one way of making them.

Ancient people were not only good engineers, but had an endless supply of slave labor and materials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2017, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Naperville, Illinois
3,764 posts, read 3,029,633 times
Reputation: 6870
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
We know how pyramids were made. People prefer to tell 'ghost stories,' and honestly, I can see why: it's fun.
My prediction: within a decade or two of the founding of the first Martian colony, there will be stories going around in the colony about people finding Martian ruins, and even running into living Martians (or ghost Martians) in remote areas. We need our mysteries and our ghost stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2017, 03:03 PM
 
2,424 posts, read 1,608,783 times
Reputation: 4404
Too late to edit my post but found it.

On papyrus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2017, 08:55 PM
 
5,721 posts, read 4,114,752 times
Reputation: 4292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
And you seem eager to pick fights and place your faith in what you want to believe vs. reality, like basically everyone else who buys into this sensationalized nonsense. Extreme claims require extreme proof. You want to "prove" that scientifically verified and accepted facts are wrong because of "people" you follow who you claim are "more knowledgeable" than the subject matter experts, than cough up the proof. No doubt it's more sensationalized TV or internet crap, random speculations - "because we don't know everything, my absurd theory could be valid," or people who have lost their minds with time or who have valid experience in one area trying to leverage that into being experts in all fields. Whatever the "proof," it'll surely be nonsense.

There is no evidence for aliens building the pyramids, ancient Egyptians in the Americas thousands of years ago, cars with internal combustion engines that run on water, sunken cities of Atlantis full of magic or technology advanced beyond our own, time travel, aliens in the bible, and so on. It is all utter crap. An "unsolved mystery" does NOT translate into magic, aliens, or other wild conspiracy claims, and most "unsolved mysteries" are far less "unsolved" and "mysterious" than people would have others believe.

One of the must secure projects in world history was the Manhattan Project to build the first atomic weapon. The secrets for that got out in only a few years, and then the Russians had such a weapon. And yet you expect me to believe in all these absurd conspiracies? Come on.
I would recommend getting up to speed on the subject instead of watching 5 minutes if Ancient Aliens Debunked, which really isn't all that profound tbh. It just points out a few things. Besides you just did exactly what I'm talking about, that's a total straw man no one said aliens built the pyramid. We just had a guy last page that didn't even know what sacred geometry is and how it's clearly involved in the pyramids design. They are full of complete #### on the Great Pyramid other than that it was built with limestone rocks, and sometime in the B.C. era. Not to mention they continue to flat out, intentionally lie about the Sphinx.

However on a side note I am still laughing hard at people that think there's no evidence for ancient astronauts and people like you that think everything is known. The Sumerians themselves said their was, for f's sake it's in their damn history that they put on the tablets. No metaphors, no analogies, no allegories, it was concrete and stated.

I believe we got to the crux of the matter when you said you didn't believe in aliens. I can't take anyone serious that makes such a ridiculous statement.

The Bible partially consisted of what the Sumerians already said long before Jesus came along. They had the same stories about the great flood for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
Too late to edit my post but found it.

On papyrus?
Quote:
However, archaeologists have disagreed over how the material was transported to Giza, now part of modern-day Cairo, for construction of Pharaoh Khufu’s tomb in 2600 BC.
hahaha..not.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 10-01-2017 at 10:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 06:52 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,642 posts, read 2,391,218 times
Reputation: 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
However on a side note I am still laughing hard at people that think there's no evidence for ancient astronauts and people like you that think everything is known. The Sumerians themselves said their was, for f's sake it's in their damn history that they put on the tablets. No metaphors, no analogies, no allegories, it was concrete and stated.
Hey, when you get done laughing can you get us some of that evidence?

Also can you tell us why an advanced civilization would build interstellar spaceships, possibly capable of faster than light speed, come to a resource right planet such as earth and teach the people there how to make piles of dirt and stone?

Why not teach them how to make advanced alloys and some more advanced structures? Why did they leave?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-02-2017, 06:15 PM
 
Location: USA
7,175 posts, read 5,171,656 times
Reputation: 11883
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I believe we got to the crux of the matter when you said you didn't believe in aliens. I can't take anyone serious that makes such a ridiculous statement.
.
Ancient people believed in all sorts of crazy things - that doesn't make it true. But, yeah - sure. Let's keep pretending all established science is wrong because of pet theories that a bunch of advanced aliens would clearly visit a bronze age culture to help them build pyramids, write legends, or some other nonsense and then utterly disappear. And, as always, the supporters of this nonsense have no proof, and when you point them to actual science, they deny it as "part of the conspiracy." Convenient when you can pick and chose whatever facts you want.

Second, I never said "everything is known," but filling in the unknowns with stuff you basically make up is not acceptable science or reasoning. But that is EXACTLY what these conspiracy theory types do all the time. They make incorrect statements of "fact" - "nobody knows how the pyramids were built" - and then fill in the blanks with utter nonsense that they can't support with any facts whatsoever.

Finally, I never said I didn't believe in aliens. Statistically, they are extremely likely to exist in the vast universe. But there is NO evidence they have visited our planet, barring creative interpretations of selective parts of ancient legends, and I'm reasonably sure any species capable of interstellar travel would have better things to do than troll primitive societies.

Last edited by Rambler123; 10-02-2017 at 06:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2017, 07:12 AM
 
Location: Maine
14,267 posts, read 19,022,434 times
Reputation: 16010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
Statistically, they are extremely likely to exist in the vast universe. But there is NO evidence they have visited our planet, barring creative interpretations of selective parts of ancient legends
I agree with you 100% on that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
and I'm reasonably sure any species capable of interstellar travel would have better things to do than troll primitive societies.
But there we part company, simply because it is an error to presume any advanced alien civilization would share the same motivations that we homo sapiens do. We have no idea why they might come for a visit. Maybe they're natural explorers and just want a look. Maybe they're interested in otters and have no interest in humans whatsoever. Maybe they're scoping for food. Maybe they are on their way somewhere else and need to stop for the bathroom. Maybe they are spreading their religion. Maybe they're looking for a lost pet. Maybe they heard Blind Willie Johnson's song on Voyager and had to come for a visit. We simply cannot pretend to know why an advanced alien civilization would do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2017, 07:59 AM
 
Location: Falls Church, Fairfax County
4,642 posts, read 2,391,218 times
Reputation: 5702
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But there we part company, simply because it is an error to presume any advanced alien civilization would share the same motivations that we homo sapiens do. We have no idea why they might come for a visit. Maybe they're natural explorers and just want a look. Maybe they're interested in otters and have no interest in humans whatsoever. Maybe they're scoping for food. Maybe they are on their way somewhere else and need to stop for the bathroom. Maybe they are spreading their religion. Maybe they're looking for a lost pet. Maybe they heard Blind Willie Johnson's song on Voyager and had to come for a visit. We simply cannot pretend to know why an advanced alien civilization would do anything.
But this thread is about the pyramids and the response is to a claim that aliens helped humans build pyramids. So I agree with your point I disagree that they would come for the otters and give humans lessons in building piles out of stone and dirt.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-03-2017, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Maine
14,267 posts, read 19,022,434 times
Reputation: 16010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
But this thread is about the pyramids and the response is to a claim that aliens helped humans build pyramids. So I agree with your point I disagree that they would come for the otters and give humans lessons in building piles out of stone and dirt.
I don't think aliens helped humans build the pyramids, simply because we know how and why humans built the pyramids. There is no Unsolved Mystery there.

But to say that aliens would never do such a thing ... ? No. We have no way of knowing why aliens might do anything. It's an assumption for which we have no evidence other than our own experience --- and our own experience teaches us that humans will do all sorts of illogical things. Why do little kids enjoy ant farms and pet lizards? Why do we teach parrots to talk? Why do we teach dogs to fetch? Why do we pander to housecats when they serve to good purpose whatsoever?

For all we know, aliens might enjoy building mud buildings for the same reason an accountant might enjoy building a birdhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top