U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 10:14 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,917,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I did a bit of looking and may have found the webpage the photos came from. The view of the skull position in the photo you posted looks like the skull had been detached from the skeleton and was positioned for a head-on view. I'm not sure, but there's a stick at the left side of the skull, which might have been used to position and prop up the skull.

The webpage seems to claim that the skeleton was discovered by the author and friends. There are three photos of the skeleton on the webpage, one being just the skull. The author seems to indicate there are spikes on the backbone. In my opinion, I'd be more likely to think those are the ribs on the other side of the animal's skeleton. The author thinks the skeleton might be a "Hissin critter" based on descriptions of the "critter". However, the author also states "This skeleton may be nothing more than a dog of some breed..." The side view of the skull does indeed resemble that of a dog. Note the teeth in the side view of the skull.

"Mystery Critter"
That thread/webpage etc is was made by a friend of mine. Very smart straight up individual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Hard to say without knowing the size of it. It would have been good if that website had said what the body length of it was just to make an estimate of the size. To me the skull and skeleton and vertebral spines and the length of the hind feet looks like it could be either a wolverine or badger, my first guess would be wolverine. There is no tail shown with that skeleton but I guess it could have been dragged off by scavengers.

Wolverines in Oklahoma? Released by someone but not naturally

Old 09-30-2017, 10:21 AM

Set the 1st photo of the critter as your desk top background and you can plainly see the ribs on the bottom.

A very short snout. Not tapered like you would be expecting when thinking a dog.

Old 09-30-2017, 01:18 PM

Are those ear bones?

Old 09-30-2017, 02:29 PM

4,990 posts, read 7,772,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
That thread/webpage etc is was made by a friend of mine. Very smart straight up individual.
That answers that question. Thanks. If I might offer a recommendation, it can be helpful to include references or links when posting a thread about such photos of a controversial subject. You gave no clue where this was located. The obscure webpage is from an Angelfire free hosted website for the Kiamichi Bigfoot Research. Is your friend one of the two brothers calling themselves Kiamichi Bigfoot Research? From the text on the webpage, this was in Oklahoma. Looks like the last date of activity on the Message Board goes back to 2004. It's possible the photos were taken around (or before) 2003 or 2004.

As just a note, Angelfire is an extremely irritating web host because it plasters full page ads on top of the webpages, such as ones that appear to be automatically downloading an unasked for program to your computer, etc. To get rid of such ads, you have to click the X on your browser to kill the ad to see the page you were looking for. But that's the sort of alarming nonsense viewers have to put up with. Ads are how such free website hosts make money. Okay, so much for that rant.

As I noted in my post, your friend did suggest on the webpage that the skeleton might be of a dog.
"This skeleton may be nothing more than a dog of some breed, but the creature I just described, the "hissin critter" is what we "think" this skeleton is. Of course, we may be wrong."
I would agree, I think they're wrong and that it is not a skeleton of an alleged "Hissin' Critter", whatever that might be. Other people in this thread have also offered various opinions. I'm still inclined to think it's just a dog.

Was the skeleton discovered by your friend? When did it happen? What was the size of the skeleton? Did your friend take the photos to any experts, such as a zoologist, veterinarian, etc., for a professional opinion?

Quote:
Set the 1st photo of the critter as your desk top background and you can plainly see the ribs on the bottom.

A very short snout. Not tapered like you would be expecting when thinking a dog.
No need for me to set it to my desktop background. I used my browser to zoom in 200% to make the image much larger. Thanks for the suggestion though. Yes, I did see the ribs on the other side through the closer ribs that look broken or spread apart.

Having a very short snout does not mean it isn't a dog. Look at the photo of the side view of the skull. Then google images of various dog skulls, and compare with skulls of other animals like hyenas, coyotes, foxes, etc.

The snout isn't quite as short as might be thought. In any case, there are dogs with snouts that are shorter than the longer snouts of dobermans, collies or german shepherds. Examples of dogs with rather short snouts include bulldogs, boston bull terriers, pekingese, etc. Again, an expert would be in a better position to make an opinion. The biggest problem is that there's nothing to compare the size of the skeleton or skull with. We have no idea if it's big or small. Showing a wallet or shoe would have helped. Apparently no one thought to do that. Would it be reasonable to guess that the skeleton was left behind? By now, I doubt there'd be anything left of it, taking into account scavengers dragging and scattering bones off to other areas.

Quote:
Are those ear bones?
There are bones inside skulls where the ears are located, but the outer parts of ears do not have bones. What might seem like ear "bones" are mostly cartilage and skin. I think what you're seeing in the photo are dried twigs or rotted pieces of branches on the ground that fell from the tree.

Old 09-30-2017, 03:13 PM

The Kiamichi board just sits there. I joined in 2004 and was #36 to join. Mike H and others sure answered a lot of questions i had from the past.Most everyone from that board now uses FACEBOOK to get rid of trolls.

Hindsight is very 20/20 AS to what someone should have done. Look again those are not twigs . As with a lot of specimens this one got lost also as well going from 1 professor to another one at another University. Code word for THEFT.

Old 09-30-2017, 05:34 PM

Quote:
The Kiamichi board just sits there. I joined in 2004 and was #36 to join. Mike H and others sure answered a lot of questions i had from the past.Most everyone from that board now uses FACEBOOK to get rid of trolls.

Hindsight is very 20/20 AS to what someone should have done. Look again those are not twigs . As with a lot of specimens this one got lost also as well going from 1 professor to another one at another University. Code word for THEFT.
A lot of boards can end up abandoned for various reasons. A lot of free hosts can terminate various forums if they're inactive for a certain period of time. It happens. I would think Facebook would be harder to organize like a forum. There are some other free boards around that are actually quite nice, fairly easy to use and not so invasive to viewers.

About the "twigs", which of the three photos are you talking about? 1, 2 or 3?

Old 09-30-2017, 06:15 PM

You said:

I think what you're seeing in the photo are dried twigs or rotted pieces of branches on the ground that fell from the tree.

you are correct.

Last edited by Versatile; 09-30-2017 at 07:11 PM..

Old 09-30-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
You said:

I think what you're seeing in the photo are dried twigs or rotted pieces of branches on the ground that fell from the tree.

you are correct.
Thanks. You also asked, "Are those ear bones?" Which pic are you seeing "ear bones"? Ear bones (Auditory Ossicle) are very small and fragile in the middle ear which is located inside the skull. These tiny bones are called the malleus, the incus and the stapes. All mammals have them. I zoomed in on the photos at 500% and the images are starting to get a little bit pixelated and blurry. I'm not seeing anything resembling ears, let alone ear bones.
https://www.britannica.com/science/ear-bone

Old 10-05-2017, 09:35 AM

4,937 posts, read 4,233,907 times
Here's a photo of a hyena skeleton:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...x=0&ajaxhist=0

Looks like we have a match. I don't know where in the U.S. the publisher of the "hissing critter" found this skeleton, but perhaps a hyena could have escaped a zoo or something and been living wild???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal