U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 05:32 PM

10,157 posts, read 9,915,647 times

Advertisements

Old newspaper archives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2017, 08:18 PM

2,549 posts, read 4,289,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Old newspaper archives.
From watching some of the paranormal shows on TV from time to time, they go to newspaper archives quite a bit. It's amazing what all you can find out from there.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:23 PM

11,437 posts, read 19,463,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
From watching some of the paranormal shows on TV from time to time, they go to newspaper archives quite a bit. It's amazing what all you can find out from there.
And there are books available that index papers and other periodicals, so you can look up the last name, and it will tell you what date and pages to look up.

I enjoy research. After you've looked for completely unknown great grandparents for almost a year and you finally find them...you're higher than high thrilled!

But a lot of other people just hate research. They want to ask google a question and have it answered. Nothing wrong with that.

I don't remember, Most, did you ever share the story of your brother's haunted house before?

Old 09-29-2017, 06:25 AM

10,157 posts, read 9,915,647 times
Ask the people local to the area. Some neighbors.

Old 09-29-2017, 09:08 AM

64 posts, read 27,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I don't see it gives an option to choose by someone's address and the name idea doesn't even work

Old 09-29-2017, 09:11 AM

64 posts, read 27,551 times
what if I just type the address here and you guys tell me what you found since I tried and cannot find anything on anything

Old 09-29-2017, 01:28 PM

1,247 posts, read 483,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MostSpot View Post
I called today they told me everything is on the site under deed search, I did it but it only lists the owners, not everyone who lived there
If the online search feature doesn't list both the grantor (seller) and grantee (buyer) you will have to go visit the records repository and get a copy of the deed.

That gives you the name of the owner and who the seller was.

Then you look up the seller's name and you find his deed to the property so you can find out who he bought it from and you keep going back and back and back,

If it turns out that a particular party has more than one deed on record you will have to look at all of them and compare the legal descriptions to find the deeds to that one property.

As others have indicated, it's a lot of work.

Have you tried googling the address followed by the word "haunted"?

Old 09-29-2017, 03:05 PM

12,305 posts, read 10,068,622 times
I wouldn't count on finding anything. Unless a crime was committed, you won't find anything. One thing to keep in mind is that over time addresses have changed! Depending on the age of the house, even the street name may have changed.

My parents' house from the 1930's has had 5 different addresses since they bought it in the late 1970's. Who knows how many it's had before that. Even their street has changed names.

The city next to the town I live in changed the name of their main downtown street decades and decades ago. It's been renumbered at least 5 times since the last street name change.

Old 09-29-2017, 03:14 PM

3,132 posts, read 1,227,166 times
You'll actually have to do some work.
Start with the list of previous owners, and try contacting them.
Talk to the neighbors, then find the previous owners of their houses and try to talk to them.
Spend a lot of time looking through old newspapers at the library.

Or you could probably hire somebody to do all that work for you.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:45 AM

4,038 posts, read 3,273,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
And there are books available that index papers and other periodicals, so you can look up the last name, and it will tell you what date and pages to look up.
Is this something you'd find at the public library?

Quote:
I enjoy research. After you've looked for completely unknown great grandparents for almost a year and you finally find them...you're higher than high thrilled!
Now that I'm a few days from retirement, I'm planning a trip to my home town to do research - genealogy as well as histories of a couple of houses I've lived in. I thought it would be, get an Ancestry account and do a few searches. Biggest problem I've run into is: people tell stories but edit them creatively do downplay the parts they don't want to talk about.and embellish the parts they like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or