U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 PM

11,429 posts, read 19,443,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Is this something you'd find at the public library?

Now that I'm a few days from retirement, I'm planning a trip to my home town to do research - genealogy as well as histories of a couple of houses I've lived in. I thought it would be, get an Ancestry account and do a few searches. Biggest problem I've run into is: people tell stories but edit them creatively do downplay the parts they don't want to talk about.and embellish the parts they like.
Yes -- they should have those at the library. My memory is they were big green books simply called periodical indexes. By year. Of course, they may be online, now. I haven't needed them because Ancestry has the papers I need, and I have a cousin who's husband can access the archives of another I use because he works there. Your biggest issue is whether they carry the old papers on microfilm or fiche. Due to space issues, it might be a thing they centralized, and order in for use.

Or it might be already digitized. I know a lot of people think everything is available by a bunch of keystrokes. That's the thing -- it's very time intensive to scan this stuff online. And a number of places do this via volunteers to keep costs down. And volunteers can be flaky. It's going to be centuries before everything is all available online.

I've run into the Ancestry thing -- people plug holes with "leaves". Leaves can be valuable information, but always keep in mind, garbage in, garbage out. Especially if you are using other peoples trees. I can't tell you how many people have shared the incorrect "fact" of my great great grandmother being married at 13, when if they look (At the leaves!, too) she's clearly living at home with her parents at 19. Under her maiden name. And, I can't find her in the 1910 census -- or my grandmother, who lived with her as a child, since her mother was dead. So people started picking leaves of a different married woman, same name as my great great grandmother's maiden name. Clearly not her...

And I went through every page of the census in that area, written in original handwriting, just in case it was transcripted wrong -- and surrounding areas. The enumerator missed them. I mean -- they re mentioned in the little local paper going visiting, and attending little society things.... so they aren't in hiding.

I've enjoyed every minute with Ancestry. I've been doing this for almost 20 years. Have a few sad stories, some suicides, but no horse thieves or bank robbers. Pretty much we're average workaday upstanding people. Not related to anyone of any notoriety... although husband is. He's the first cousin three times removed of President McKinley.

We have a genealogy board on City Data. I haven't been for a while. Real life has been consuming me for a bit. But it's time to head back into the past and spend some time with the dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or