U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 09:14 AM

2,705 posts, read 2,981,727 times

Advertisements

I thought some might be interested in all these sightings of a man-bat or mothman-like creature. The ones in the link have all been around the Chicago area and range from previous years right up until a few days ago.

This years 2017 sightings are from February until 26th September. Most have been described in a similar way so I do not think they are all hoaxes but I suppose they could be... One witness was a police officer and some have been witnessed by multiple people at the same time.

So... what is going on? They say that the Mothman only appeared at a time when there was going to be a disaster in the area, maybe this cryptid is what they saw.

Anyone live in the area and can get a webcam going pointing at a likely area of sky? The map of sightings are mostly concentrated around the lake but with some further afield as well.

Something spooky is definitely going on there recently.

Man-bat seen in Chicago area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 09:47 AM

15,072 posts, read 19,713,491 times
Very cool. As a nerd, I admit my first thought was:

Old 09-29-2017, 11:16 AM

4,768 posts, read 2,591,000 times
I have a picture if that helps:

Old 10-01-2017, 01:01 AM

2,950 posts, read 3,188,994 times
I follow a few UFO report sites and did see several reports of sightings in that area. Something is going on, but what?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:32 PM

I am not sure... but I do not think I put that "(UFO, Hoax)" at the end of the title, so I do not know how that appeared. If someone added it, then they certainly have not explained to me why they did so. Is there a problem with this subject or maybe I am just gullible and unaware this really IS a hoax.

Why should so many reportings be a hoax or a UFO ? Wasn't the Mothman something which was reported quite a number of times? Is this not just another series of reportings similar to those and that turned out to be a warning of the bridge collapse.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:40 PM

11,423 posts, read 19,433,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
I am not sure... but I do not think I put that "(UFO, Hoax)" at the end of the title, so I do not know how that appeared. If someone added it, then they certainly have not explained to me why they did so. Is there a problem with this subject or maybe I am just gullible and unaware this really IS a hoax.

Why should so many reportings be a hoax or a UFO ? Wasn't the Mothman something which was reported quite a number of times? Is this not just another series of reportings similar to those and that turned out to be a warning of the bridge collapse.
It doesn’t happen on every thread, but every once in a while the search term classifications show up. If you search threads with the terms ufo and hoax, this is one of the threads that would show up. No one added anything.

Old 10-07-2017, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the explanation. Trying to understand the search facility, what makes this thread appear for those search terms. The word UFO only appeared once in post #4 and there is no mention of the word hoax before I commented on it? It would seem to be more relevent if 'mothman' or cryptid appeared.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:51 AM

3,995 posts, read 1,772,026 times
It's my bird.

I'm mostly just kidding. I say mostly because there was a report in the mainstream media from the 1970's, in Illinois, about a boy who was picked up by a massive bird, carried for a few seconds but dropped as he struggled. Witnessed by another boy he had been playing in a field with.

Also, the reports from Texas stated the bird had a face like a monkey with a beak that was hard to visualize. I would think this could look like a human face. That's the one thing I couldn't see from underneath, darn it.

Old 10-10-2017, 07:30 PM

5,467 posts, read 5,771,813 times
I find it hard to believe that not one of these 51 people pulled out their iPhones and shot a video of it. I mean, nowadays whenever there is an irate customer or a dispute on the bus you have five people pulling out their phones recording it. I would think a winged creature flying over the streets of Little Village would get at least one video recording.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:50 AM

What is a video recording worth these days? Absolutely nothing. You only have to read the comments on any forum and folks do not believe them any longer. There are too many people using CGI to make fake movies.

You are probably the kind of person who would not believe them anyway, but I agree, it seems amazing that people do not think to take a movie or a picture of them at the time. Thats just how it is... people are far too engaged in the event to even think of that. The more amazing the event, the less likely people will think of whipping out their camera and snapping a picture of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or