U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 11:03 AM

5,807 posts, read 5,661,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Get a new doctor. Smelling smoke or other acrid odors that others cannot is called phantosmia and can be a symptom of brain seizures, epilepsy, Alsheimer's and other neurological disorders. Some studies have concluded that it is not a sign of stroke, but that doesn't discount other neurological issues.

It may be nothing, but seriously, if it is concerning enough to you to have visited the doctor once, get a second opinion from a doctor who discounts, at least for medical purposes, the possibility that it is your old, dead Uncle Al blowing smoke rings from the beyond.

Then, if it is determined that it is not a medical issue, go ahead and look for a paranormal explanation.

Winterbird, I agree with this ^. I think you should probably get a second opinion and get a referral to see a neurologist first before you resort to looking for paranormal explanations.

While some studies conclude that ischemic strokes and hemorrhagic strokes don't cause phantosmia there are other studies have concluded that mini-strokes can cause phantosmia. Mini-strokes or transient ischemic attacks (TIAs) occur when the blood supply to the brain is briefly interrupted.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 03:53 PM

210 posts, read 78,833 times
It comes from someplace else.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:58 PM

14,828 posts, read 19,516,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Town View Post
It comes from someplace else.
Unless you have the para-human ability to smell your own brain, ALL scents come "from someplace else."

Old 11-17-2017, 07:37 PM

4,941 posts, read 6,589,872 times
Is your house an older home or do you have any older furniture in it? I've seen instances of this investigated and it turned out a previous homeowner was a smoker or used perfume, etc, and the odor of it absorbed into the wood in the walls, shelves, furniture, floors, etc., and would sometimes come out and be smellable again years and decades later when temperature/humidity conditions were right.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:40 PM

17,329 posts, read 21,477,242 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k1WhFtVp0o

Old 11-18-2017, 10:45 PM

17,329 posts, read 21,477,242 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kv24jRNASQM

Have a blessed Sunday.

Old 11-22-2017, 07:35 AM

50 posts, read 18,408 times
I have had similar happen to me with smelling smoke but I also smelled sulfur somtimes those smells can be linked with evil spirits so be careful.

Old 11-22-2017, 02:22 PM

210 posts, read 78,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Unless you have the para-human ability to smell your own brain, ALL scents come "from someplace else."
Not really.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:44 PM

916 posts, read 262,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbird View Post
Doc is into the paranormal and told me that an ancestor was reaching out.
I'd agree with this. Someones letting you know off their presence.
But it's usually someone who was in your life. Was a relative like a grandfather who has passed over, a smoker? (A pipe comes to mind)
If you can't think of anyone in particular, ask your older relatives if one of your passed relatives was a smoker. It could be someone who passed when you were quite young.

When you next smell the smoke, try asking some basic questions.
Before trying to communicate with spirits, I always imagine being filled with a white/gold/silver Light. It's not only an excellent protection (Darkness cannot exist where there is Light) it will also make communication a bit easier.

Let us know if you get a response.

Old 11-22-2017, 05:54 PM

916 posts, read 262,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedWolfWitch View Post
I have had similar happen to me with smelling smoke but I also smelled sulfur somtimes those smells can be linked with evil spirits so be careful.
Yes.
Negative spirits emanate negative vibes & will always feel 'not right'.
In this case, if the spirit was negative, the tobacco smoke would smell unpleasant.

Even so, it's always good practice to do a protection exercise as a matter-off-course when dealing with those from 'the other side'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal