Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 01:35 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,473,304 times

Advertisements

I have questions about the paranormal that I hope some of you guys who are good with this stuff can answer.

Is there a certain time when spirits and such are more active? Like in the middle of the night, or is it the same all through the day, at night our minds just play more tricks on us?

Are most spirits just nice and don't mess with people?

Why do houses get haunted?

Are there more spirits outdoors? Years ago I would always go outside at night when I had friends over and I never felt at risk. Just the woods looked scary and animals would make noises (probably)...

I have had some mild events with the paranormal, should I expect these to keep up, or get worse, or something? I have lived in this house for 7 years and have only had about 15-20 instances with the paranormal, or so I suppose. My old house was a lot older and was a lot more downright scary.

Why do most spirits, etc. 'hang out' in basements or upstairs? Those are the only places I have had my events with the paranormal. My family's and my bed's are upstairs, does that have something to do with it?

Do people always come back as spirits?

Things have gotten substancially better since my family has gotten a dog. Do they help keep unwanted spirits or spirits altogether out?

Speaking of dogs, can they 'see' entities, etc., when we can't?

I could come up with more, but I don't want to completely overwhelm you guys with questions haha. Any feedback is welcome! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2012, 06:44 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,806,250 times
Lots of questions... here are my quick thoughts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoCo freak View Post
I have questions about the paranormal that I hope some of you guys who are good with this stuff can answer.

Is there a certain time when spirits and such are more active? Like in the middle of the night, or is it the same all through the day, at night our minds just play more tricks on us?

There is no real pattern or requirement, crazy things are just as likely to happen in midday as 2:00 AM

You are more likely to encounter a mischievous or hostile one in a haunting, but not always.

The common thread seems to be that haunted places have experienced intense human emotions at some point in their history.

Are there more spirits outdoors? Years ago I would always go outside at night when I had friends over and I never felt at risk. Just the woods looked scary and animals would make noises (probably)...

Inside and outside are the same thing to them. The distinction is purely psychological and is only important to us.

I have had some mild events with the paranormal, should I expect these to keep up, or get worse, or something? I have lived in this house for 7 years and have only had about 15-20 instances with the paranormal, or so I suppose. My old house was a lot older and was a lot more downright scary.

Yes, but if you send me $500.00 I will sell you a magic stone that keeps ghosts away! Seriously though, I really don't know.

Why do most spirits, etc. 'hang out' in basements or upstairs? Those are the only places I have had my events with the paranormal. My family's and my bed's are upstairs, does that have something to do with it?

In an "active haunting" I think "they" are trying to induce fear in people, perhaps because they actually "feed" on fear or maybe because there isn't anything better for them to do.They know what is scary to us and often use places and situations that naturally make us uneasy to their advantage.

I really don't think ghosts are actually the disembodied minds of once-living humans. What they really are is unknown, but I suspect they are "pieces" of consciousness like characters in a dream that are somehow imprinted into an environment or even sentient non-human energy beings (for lack of a better description) that are pretending to be human.

Things have gotten substancially better since my family has gotten a dog. Do they help keep unwanted spirits or spirits altogether out?

Animals seem to be better able to perceive ghosts. Again, the reason is unknown.

I could come up with more, but I don't want to completely overwhelm you guys with questions haha. Any feedback is welcome! Thanks!

Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 PM

8,546 posts, read 10,967,143 times
Instead of trying to find answers to all these questions here on this forum, I would suggest you go to your local library and read up on the subject.
Also, most book stores have books dealing with the paranormal.
One that I often suggest for learning is, "The Spirits' Book" by Alan Kardec.
Bob.

Old 10-12-2012, 06:54 PM

577 posts, read 992,125 times
Well, to answer a few of your questions....
Of course the legendary haunting occurs at night in an old creaky house (with the wind and rain howling outside). There seems to be no shortage of daytime hauntings, although late at night we may be more susceptible to seeing things and letting our imaginations go wild.

Dogs and Cats have much stronger senses than we do and can seem to sense ghosts and other paranormal things better than we can. I don't know if they can actually see them, but there seems to be a general consensus that they can sense such things long before we can. Although I don't believe animals keep away spirits.

There are outdoor haunts just as their are indoor hauntings. Indoor haunts may be more noticeable being in a confined space. if you see a ghost in your bedroom it would leave far more of an impression on you than possibly seeing a ghost walking down a footpath and then disappearing (for instance). You can always reason it out that you blinked/looked away and the "ghost" jumped off the path and you simply didn't spot it etc.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:00 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:

The short answer is to get yourself a white sage smudge stick, light it and take it around the windows and doors of your home. As you are doing that ask the spirit to please stay outside because you are uncomfortable with them inside your home. You may have to do this a couple times. Any fur ther questions you can private message me if you want and I am happy to answer without taking too much room on the forum.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:15 PM

112 posts, read 177,344 times
Try Rosemaey Ellen Guirly book on "Ghosts and Spirits" which might be of help rather than me answeing them. best of luck.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Quote:

It's happening at all hours. Night time is when the air is more quiet from daily noise so we hear more so to speak. Also, it's ingrained in our minds through social tales, that night is when this stuff happens, so we are more 'susceptible' to being aware of it.
Quote:
depends on what you mean by messing with people. Many ghosts are annoying but not harmful.
Quote:
Because that's where people have been and are still. Where a house was once built, a new house takes its place. Any ghost attached to a house or area will stick around why is familiar to them. Or be annoyed that a different house is there, mad that 'their' house is gone. Some will leave when they no longer recognize things.
Some spirits attach themselves to people. Not as a possession, usually because the spirit knows that this person is sensitive to them. Most ghosts are looking for something. They are not all malicious.
Quote:
beings there is more outdoor space than indoor, it would stand to reason that more spirit activity happens outdoors.
Quote:
if what you are specifically referring to is a haunting, it may increase, stay the same or taper off. One never knows what will happen. Now there are also friendly spirits that are our guides. And not all activity is a haunting. It could be something trying to get a message to you and if you are not listening, it could increase. But 20 events in 7 years is nothing to worry about.[/quote]
Quote:
Who knows why spirits choose a place to hang out. They may not even see what we see. I had a ghost that was all over the house, but had two favorite spots. The living room looking out the window at the view, and the climate controlled room where he used to keep is gun and sword collection.[/quote]
Quote:
No.
Quote:
not always. Honesty I don't think having a dog is any real 'protection or prevention' of spirit habitation. Some spirits may have issues with dogs, so shy away. But other's quiteness from the presence of a dog could be entertainment or a comfort.
Quote:

Yes- animals and children are more aware and open to unseen energies.

Old 10-14-2012, 04:42 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
It's happening at all hours. Night time is when the air is more quiet from daily noise so we hear more so to speak.
Here's one for you that's a very clear example of what you are talking about. Yesterday, hubs made a pot of coffee late, and I wasn't paying attention to the time and drank a large cup. I was UP till 5 AM..... NOT fun.

Anyhow -- early evening, the front door was open and in our very active urban area with tiny yards we're practically on the street. The volume was at 40 on the TV and we could hear it fine. At 11:30 I closed the front door and turned the tv down to 35.... had a little problem hearing, flicked it up a couple.

At one I went to bed -- smaller tv had the volume set at 40. Still plenty of stuff happening outside, but it's getting calmer. Tried to sleep.... couldn't, turned the tv back on. 2:30 -- tv seemed loud, took it to 25.

At 4AM -- it was FINALLY quiet enough in the neighborhood that I could turn the TV down to 10 and still hear it.

Woke up at 9 to feed the beasts....

Because we're USED to all the surrounding noise we don't hear it anymore. The thing that I remember MOST about September 11? The quiet and still. I live surrounded by airports, overhead air traffic ALL the time..... and when all the planes were grounded it was SILENT.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:45 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,517,925 times
Quote:

Combination of both. Part of it is all the noise and activity of the daytime makes you less likely to see, hear, or notice any unusual things.
don't know if I'd say most
Many various reasons

There are no easy answers

Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 AM

6 posts, read 8,716 times
I grew up in a haunted house. My mother's family had esp and precognition. My father's family could bilocate, see spirits, see auras, and help the police solve crimes. My father always said nothing is there in the dark that isn't there in the light. He also told me if an entity shows up don't dialogue with it, even if it looks familiar. Spirits can and do lie and can impersonate others. Do not use ouija boards, seances etc. He said it was like picking up the phone and dialing a number at random. you don't know who you will reach. Many times you initiate contact and then they won't leave you alone. The more psychic ability you have the crazier and riskier this is. I can tell you that prayer works, or visually yourself surrounded by a white light forcefield if you arent religious. I have always had to accept this as part of life although i don't like it and don't feed into it. If you give it energy fear, excitement whatever you will strengthen it. Not trying to scare you, just being honest. Also, follow your gut instinct. If a room starts to feel uncomfortable, leave. If you feel scared, get the hell out of there for now. Listen to what your spirit is telling you; it tries to protect you for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal