U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-29-2017, 04:17 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
10,614 posts, read 9,018,956 times
Reputation: 6958

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Such as ... ?
About ten years ago my wife and I spotted a mountain lion in northeastern PA. We were in our pickup truck and, when I first saw the animal standing in a dirt road about two hundred yards away, I thought it was a coyote. I asked my wife to hang on and I tried to get close enough to get a better look. We chased the animal down the dirt road at 35 mph. We got to within 20 yards of it before it jumped into our tall red brush on the side of the road and disappeared. We clearly saw the cat's gate and long tail and both of us knew we had just followed a large cat.

When we returned home I immediately called our Game Commission to report our sighting. They basically treated me as if I was drinking. They did not believe me and their argument was that, with our busy roads, they have no carcasses. It is a good argument; all animals eventually make mistakes - even humans. However; I had hoped they would have come out and examined any tracks they might have found.

Fortunately, for us, a few years later; a woman hit and killed a mountain lion in Connecticut: Mountain Lion Is Found in Connecticut - The New York Times. Of course that does not mean it was the same one we saw. But the cat's DNA traced it back to South Dakota. So there is a chance the cat traveled through our area to get to Connecticut?

The point I am trying to make is that Big Foot will always remain a myth unless we get an actual body or part of a body. Many bears have been killed on our roads and by hunters; no Big Foot! 'I heard a sound' or 'saw a tree broken' is not proof! Just think of how many people have smart phones that can take quality pictures today; you would think one of them would come up with great photographic evidence. Our Big Foot hunters are a joke running around at night screaming or hollering - why can they not find the same animal in the daylight (without the screaming and hollering)? Who are they screaming and hollering for; another Big Foot hunter? Serious hunters do not scream and holler; they camouflage or remove their scent and they remain quiet and motionless. There is also the problem with the thousands of planes in our skies at any given time; somebody is always watching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2017, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Maine
13,473 posts, read 18,198,580 times
Reputation: 14766
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Plus, we are only privy to certain evidence, I have to assume better data and evidence IS OUT THERE, but what the general public has access to, is heavily controlled.
What possible reason could there be for a Bigfoot cover-up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 10:33 AM
 
1,563 posts, read 375,841 times
Reputation: 1424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
What possible reason could there be for a Bigfoot cover-up?
Well there could be lots of reasons, One of the main things I can think of is proving the existence of such a creature would conflict with some of the staples of history we are all taught.

The important thing to keep in mind though, is that the Govt has done this kind of thing in the past, so its not exactly out of the bounds of possibility, look at how effective they were at keeping the UFO thing secret for all those years, and then one day, it all comes out and we learn they truly did have studies going on, as well as having recovered 'unknown metal alloys' from various UAPs over the years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 10:45 AM
 
4,773 posts, read 7,320,341 times
Reputation: 2573
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well there could be lots of reasons, One of the main things I can think of is proving the existence of such a creature would conflict with some of the staples of history we are all taught.
That's not true that it would conflict history. At the very least such a creature would confirm the existence of another living primate. How would that "conflict with some of the staples of history we are all taught"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2017, 05:11 PM
 
Location: Naperville, Illinois
3,392 posts, read 2,735,517 times
Reputation: 6037
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Well there could be lots of reasons, One of the main things I can think of is proving the existence of such a creature would conflict with some of the staples of history we are all taught.

The important thing to keep in mind though, is that the Govt has done this kind of thing in the past, so its not exactly out of the bounds of possibility, look at how effective they were at keeping the UFO thing secret for all those years, and then one day, it all comes out and we learn they truly did have studies going on, as well as having recovered 'unknown metal alloys' from various UAPs over the years.
There have been many researchers over the years who have had an interest in unknown primates and other unknown animals. Often, they've been discovered by accident; the coelacanth was thought to have been extinct for 66 million years, but rediscovered off South Africa in 1938. The mountain gorilla was discovered by westerners in 1902. The platypus was thought to be a hoax until someone actually was able to dissect one. Society survived all these examples of the discovery of organisms whose existence "conflict with some of the staples of history".

If by "conflict with some of the staples of history" you mean the beliefs of fundamentalist Christians, the number of Christians who would be threatened by the discovery of a primate is near zero. Fundamentalists would just say, well, this is a survivor from before the Flood or some such nonsense. It would be a sensation, but people would get over it and get back to their daily lives. A bunch of academics would get tenure as a result of their studies and maybe a Nobel Prize. To say the government has some motive for suppressing knowledge of this makes no sense -- unless you're one of the conspiracy theorists who believes bigfoot is an interdimensional pet of the extraterrestrials piloting said UFOs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Maine
13,473 posts, read 18,198,580 times
Reputation: 14766
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
There have been many researchers over the years who have had an interest in unknown primates and other unknown animals. Often, they've been discovered by accident; the coelacanth was thought to have been extinct for 66 million years, but rediscovered off South Africa in 1938. The mountain gorilla was discovered by westerners in 1902. The platypus was thought to be a hoax until someone actually was able to dissect one. Society survived all these examples of the discovery of organisms whose existence "conflict with some of the staples of history".

If by "conflict with some of the staples of history" you mean the beliefs of fundamentalist Christians, the number of Christians who would be threatened by the discovery of a primate is near zero. Fundamentalists would just say, well, this is a survivor from before the Flood or some such nonsense. It would be a sensation, but people would get over it and get back to their daily lives. A bunch of academics would get tenure as a result of their studies and maybe a Nobel Prize. To say the government has some motive for suppressing knowledge of this makes no sense -- unless you're one of the conspiracy theorists who believes bigfoot is an interdimensional pet of the extraterrestrials piloting said UFOs.
Yup.

And by the way: The notion that Sasquatch is actually a pet of the alien visitors and that maybe they are just pulling in to the nearest planet to let the pet pee in the woods actually makes A LOT more sense than the notion that thousands of giant primates are roaming the wilds of North America and have been doing so for thousands of years without leaving a single trace of evidence behind.

Not saying I'd bet any money on either argument. But one is a lot less ridiculous than the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 04:34 PM
 
4,773 posts, read 7,320,341 times
Reputation: 2573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup.

And by the way: The notion that Sasquatch is actually a pet of the alien visitors and that maybe they are just pulling in to the nearest planet to let the pet pee in the woods actually makes A LOT more sense than the notion that thousands of giant primates are roaming the wilds of North America and have been doing so for thousands of years without leaving a single trace of evidence behind.

Not saying I'd bet any money on either argument. But one is a lot less ridiculous than the other.
If they let it out for a pee, they should keep it on a leash so the poor thing doesn't get lost. But yeah, having a Bigfoot peeing and dumping in a flying saucer during those long interstellar stretches can get pretty messy, not to mention stink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Naperville, Illinois
3,392 posts, read 2,735,517 times
Reputation: 6037
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Yup.

And by the way: The notion that Sasquatch is actually a pet of the alien visitors and that maybe they are just pulling in to the nearest planet to let the pet pee in the woods actually makes A LOT more sense than the notion that thousands of giant primates are roaming the wilds of North America and have been doing so for thousands of years without leaving a single trace of evidence behind.

Not saying I'd bet any money on either argument. But one is a lot less ridiculous than the other.
Or one might imagine sasquatch and other reported entities like dogmen are some sort of mind created phenomenon, like the tulpas in Buddhist mythology or the "entity" supposedly created in the Philip Experiment (1972). I tend to think at this point that they have more to do with the psychology of the observers than the existence of a flesh and blood animal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 09:04 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
10,614 posts, read 9,018,956 times
Reputation: 6958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Or one might imagine sasquatch and other reported entities like dogmen are some sort of mind created phenomenon, like the tulpas in Buddhist mythology or the "entity" supposedly created in the Philip Experiment (1972). I tend to think at this point that they have more to do with the psychology of the observers than the existence of a flesh and blood animal.
Everyday that goes by Big Foot becomes more unbelievable. All you have to do is travel our roads and look for traffic cameras or business security cameras. There are more everyday; not to mention trail cameras. Right now they estimate that there are 190,000,000 smart phones in just the US.

Back in the days of the old Patterson–Gimlin film only a handful of people had the capability to actually film. Today almost everybody has better capabilities than the 'original' film footage; almost all have image stabilization. Any thriving colony of these so called creatures would have their faces plastered all over our news (if we could take a break from Presidential politics).

I also cannot get past the approximate 2.5 billon cars on our roads or the approximate 1.3 million people that die each year form road crashes. It is impossible to believe that any creature, like this, would go for years without making a mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2017, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Cody, WY
7,976 posts, read 8,868,820 times
Reputation: 15079
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Everyday that goes by Big Foot becomes more unbelievable. All you have to do is travel our roads and look for traffic cameras or business security cameras. There are more everyday; not to mention trail cameras. Right now they estimate that there are 190,000,000 smart phones in just the US.
I've never seen a trail camera in anyplace even remotely approaching what an objective observer might call wilderness. In fact, I've never seen one on any public land anywher. I've never seem a hiker with a cell phone in hand either. There are neither security cameras nor traffic cameras outside of municipalities, most of them large cities. I say this as a man who has lived in rural areas for almost his entire adult life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I also cannot get past the approximate 2.5 billon cars on our roads or the approximate 1.3 million people that die each year form road crashes. It is impossible to believe that any creature, like this, would go for years without making a mistake.
I assume that these numbers include the whole world although they seem excessive even for that. Again, these numbers would apply primarily to big cities. You live in a county with a population density of 274 per sq. mile; I live in a county with a population density of 4 per sq. mile. There is a difference. Bigfoot, if he exists, is a creature who lives in quiet and remote areas. He is not hiding in suburbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top