U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-12-2018, 04:33 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
11,872 posts, read 9,969,523 times
Reputation: 8059

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Yeah, same old people looking for proof all the time. No-one can give you proof and certainly not on a plate like you want it. We (and I think I speak for a large number of 'believers') dont really care if you believe or not. Thats not why we are here.

I dont even know why we bother to try to give you all the proof you say you would like to have. I dont believe the folks who say that really want it anyway.
If there were no skeptics we would all own deeds to the Brooklyn Bridge! As far as not knowing why you bother: There are all the standard reasons why some people want others to believe: Fame, power, notoriety, money to name a few. Isn't that what drove the people that sold the deeds to the bridge?

I am not saying that you fit that mold; but that is what skeptics do (we have to question unless we see sound evidence).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-12-2018, 05:23 AM
 
4,516 posts, read 1,097,375 times
Reputation: 3423
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Yeah, same old people looking for proof all the time. No-one can give you proof and certainly not on a plate like you want it. We (and I think I speak for a large number of 'believers') dont really care if you believe or not. Thats not why we are here.

I dont even know why we bother to try to give you all the proof you say you would like to have. I dont believe the folks who say that really want it anyway.
I dont think they would believe it, even if they saw a corpse laid right in front of them! They would say it could be a fake or person with some defect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
11,872 posts, read 9,969,523 times
Reputation: 8059
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont think they would believe it, even if they saw a corpse laid right in front of them! They would say it could be a fake or person with some defect.
Why don't you try laying a corpse in front of us and then making your statement! Many of us would be happy with one tuff of hair that had a modern DNA analysis. How about good, clear, pictures with many witnesses?

It is so much easier to speculate how we would react instead of actually producing evidence!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 07:29 AM
 
10,028 posts, read 9,697,405 times
Reputation: 3874
You said :good, clear, pictures with many witnesses? You have no idea as to what it takes to get lucky enough for a photo. These creatures are the Apex Predator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 08:55 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
11,872 posts, read 9,969,523 times
Reputation: 8059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You said :good, clear, pictures with many witnesses? You have no idea as to what it takes to get lucky enough for a photo. These creatures are the Apex Predator.

Have you ever heard of an 'Apex Predator' that doesn't eat? When creatures eat they leave behind evidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 01:14 PM
 
Location: Naperville, Illinois
3,827 posts, read 3,091,210 times
Reputation: 7020
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I dont think they would believe it, even if they saw a corpse laid right in front of them! They would say it could be a fake or person with some defect.
I'm one of "them" -- as in the hated minority who try to bring reason to this group and refuse to take photos and videos as "evidence". Here's a major reason why we're so obstinate about verification:

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/...n_5079861.html

And pretty much everything on this site:

The Museum of Hoaxes

People want to believe, and there are plenty of others who see an opportunity for fame and/or fortune by providing them with a reason to believe. As the Museum for Hoaxes site points out, this has always gone on. According to Plutarch, during his incursions into northern India, Alexander the Great instructed his blacksmiths to construct gigantic helmets and weapons and leave them on the battlefield, then spread rumors that the Greeks had giants fighting for them. Today it's UFOs and cryptids.

Lay a corpse in front of a skeptic and the skeptic will begin taking it apart to see what it is. Any reasonable person is going to ask if it's a fake or a person with a physical defect -- like the Atacama "alien" that turned out to be a human fetus with devastating genetic defects. That's what people did when the first stuffed platypuses started showing up in Europe: they assumed it had to be a fake, and it turned out it was the real thing. Show a picture of a corpse or allow him to view the corpse but not touch, and the skeptic will say: let me cut into this thing, then we'll talk. That's not being obstinate or unreasonable, it's being careful. Those who want to Just Believe are welcome to do so - but I've seen enough sideshows and hoaxes over my life to demand more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Naperville, Illinois
3,827 posts, read 3,091,210 times
Reputation: 7020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You said :good, clear, pictures with many witnesses? You have no idea as to what it takes to get lucky enough for a photo. These creatures are the Apex Predator.
There are millions of good, clear pictures out there on the internet of apex predators. Not a bigfoot among them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apex_predators
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 07:19 AM
 
10,028 posts, read 9,697,405 times
Reputation: 3874
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
There are millions of good, clear pictures out there on the internet of apex predators. Not a bigfoot among them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_apex_predators
I will extend my offer to you as well. Come to Kansas City and we will go out at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 07:52 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
11,872 posts, read 9,969,523 times
Reputation: 8059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I will extend my offer to you as well. Come to Kansas City and we will go out at night.

According to BFRO website you only had 43 sightings in Kansas while in PA we have had 116 sightings; perhaps you are in the wrong territory or we have more fakes than you do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-13-2018, 03:54 PM
 
10,028 posts, read 9,697,405 times
Reputation: 3874
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
According to BFRO website you only had 43 sightings in Kansas while in PA we have had 116 sightings; perhaps you are in the wrong territory or we have more fakes than you do?
I was going easy on you due to your wife's condition. A Passive Aggressive laugh. Noo problem. No gut's No glory. lol. This sport ain't for sissies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top