U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-10-2018, 01:21 AM
 
Location: PRC
2,710 posts, read 2,985,492 times
Reputation: 2457

Advertisements

Quote:
Only a body will do it.
Yes, that's rather sick really but I agree that many people feel the same. When we(the people) get an alien it will be a similar story, but what to do when someone finds one or in the case of Bigfoot shoots one. Do we encourage the person who finds one to cut it up into arms and legs and torso and send it to different labs so that folk cannot argue about the validity of the analysis? There will always be some people who dont believe other people.

Quote:
With the number of supposed Bigfoot sightings; it would be inevitable that somebody would capture that clear picture. How many people do you know that never put down their cellphones?
You would think so wouldn't you?
but, I think what we are saying here is that, since we dont have any non-blurry photograhs, all the bigfoot foot and hand prints people find and make plastercasts of, are all fakes. No exceptions.

I can imagine how annoyed scientist Dr. Jeff Meldrum who is a Full Professor of Anatomy & Anthropology at Idaho State University will be when he finds out he has been studying fakes for the past x years.

Fakes which have managed to fool a professor of human anatomy and fakes which must have cost an arm and a leg due to them being such good likeness of the 'real thing'. After all, there are only a few places which can make such good models from creative designwork. Are all these few places/people conspiring together to deceive us believers and make the world laugh at the gullible few?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-10-2018, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,158 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Yes, that's rather sick really but I agree that many people feel the same. When we(the people) get an alien it will be a similar story, but what to do when someone finds one or in the case of Bigfoot shoots one. Do we encourage the person who finds one to cut it up into arms and legs and torso and send it to different labs so that folk cannot argue about the validity of the analysis? There will always be some people who dont believe other people.
Right now about 6,000 pedestrians die on our roads every year. Are humans smarter than Bigfoot or the other way around? It is inevitable, if these creatures do exist, that sooner or later one would end up as road kill. Motorist do not have to jump out of their vehicles with machetes and meat saws; all they need to do is report the accident. After reported you would have your evidence and this discussion would be over. But we are still waiting and have not seen one hair or clump of dung from any Bigfoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
You would think so wouldn't you?
but, I think what we are saying here is that, since we dont have any non-blurry photograhs, all the bigfoot foot and hand prints people find and make plastercasts of, are all fakes. No exceptions.

I can imagine how annoyed scientist Dr. Jeff Meldrum who is a Full Professor of Anatomy & Anthropology at Idaho State University will be when he finds out he has been studying fakes for the past x years.

Fakes which have managed to fool a professor of human anatomy and fakes which must have cost an arm and a leg due to them being such good likeness of the 'real thing'. After all, there are only a few places which can make such good models from creative designwork. Are all these few places/people conspiring together to deceive us believers and make the world laugh at the gullible few?
What makes a professor a "Full" Professor? Would that be he is one of the few that believes what you believe? Here is a story about a "Full" Professor that does not believe in bigfoot: https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...eal/100543942/. Obviously one of these "Full" Professors is wrong. Just because somebody is a professor does not mean they are right. How many fake oil paintings have been sold over the years that were verified 'authentic' by "Full" professors?

Now, thanks to new technology, we do not even need parts of the body. The only thing that is needed to verify an undiscovered 'mythic' beast lived or walked by an area; is the dirt they walked on. So where is the dirt or do they fly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 07:16 AM
 
Location: PRC
2,710 posts, read 2,985,492 times
Reputation: 2457
Firstly, there are not millions of Bigfoot crossing car-crowded streets like humans do, so your example of 6000 people dying crossing the roads is not really relevant, as much as you would like it to be.
Secondly, a wild Bigfoot who/which is used to avoiding humans and can hear petty well is probably good at crossing the road without being run over, although they will make mistakes as everyone does. I wont have 'my' evidence because I am not there and it is unlikely that most people will cut up the body and send it off to different labs. Most people would probably take it into the nearest police station - if they were un-afraid of being laughed at or prosecuted. I can imagine the body would be swiftly taken away by faceless agents and subsequently denied having seen it.

Quote:
What makes a professor a "Full" Professor? Would that be he is one of the few that believes what you believe? Here is a story about a "Full" Professor that does not believe in bigfoot: https://www.mansfieldnewsjournal.com...eal/100543942/. Obviously one of these "Full" Professors is wrong. Just because somebody is a professor does not mean they are right. How many fake oil paintings have been sold over the years that were verified 'authentic' by "Full" professors?
Why do you need to highlight the Full word? I copy and pasted from the Idaho University web page about Dr Jeff Meldrum - Biographical Sketch here
Quote:
Dr. Jeff Meldrum is a Full Professor of Anatomy & Anthropology at Idaho State University (since 1993). He teaches human anatomy in the graduate health professions programs. His research encompasses questions of vertebrate evolutionary morphology generally, primate locomotor adaptations more particularly, and especially the emergence of modern human bipedalism.
It was their text, not mine, so obviously they feel the need to stress he is more than an associate professor.

The article you linked is about Mark Wilson who it says is not a professor of anatomy or anything relevant to our discussion and not an expert in Bigfoot as Dr Jeff Meldrum seems to be. He is a professor of geology and natural sciences. Now.. who should we believe? Hmmm?
Quote:
Mark Wilson, a geology and natural sciences professor at the College of Wooster, led the presentation, titled "A Scientific Perspective on Bigfoot," to explain scientists do not believe it's likely the creature truly exists.
"I've long been interested in the Bigfoot legend and other strange and unusual things," Wilson said.
(my bolded text)

Yes, fake oil paintings have been sold but how many of those were sold to private collectors or inexperienced dealers? Again, your example is not relevant to this discussion because it is not as if the Bigfoot plaster casts are being sold off for millions of dollars at auction so there is not really any use in providing fake authentications or pronouncing them as "real" if they are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 10:50 AM
 
10,157 posts, read 9,909,396 times
Reputation: 3914
I don't want to shoot one at All. I would defend myself if threatened. Kids throwing rocks is a lot different than a 15 lb or so rock whizzing by your head
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,158 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Firstly, there are not millions of Bigfoot crossing car-crowded streets like humans do, so your example of 6000 people dying crossing the roads is not really relevant, as much as you would like it to be.
Secondly, a wild Bigfoot who/which is used to avoiding humans and can hear petty well is probably good at crossing the road without being run over, although they will make mistakes as everyone does. I wont have 'my' evidence because I am not there and it is unlikely that most people will cut up the body and send it off to different labs. Most people would probably take it into the nearest police station - if they were un-afraid of being laughed at or prosecuted. I can imagine the body would be swiftly taken away by faceless agents and subsequently denied having seen it.
There are no mountain lions in PA. At least according to our Game Commission. There were also none in Connecticut; until the one woman, driving a car, hit and killed one. But then they had scientific proof if it's existence. They could run the DNA and trace the mountain lion back to it's origins. While many talk about Bigfoot hot spots out West supposedly they are seen all over the US by your BRFO source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pp8NvGuieY.
If you pay attention to that map; you will see that the majority of reports are close to civilization and not out in the sticks. Interstate highways crisscross map and it would only be logical to have one dead roadkill - if they existed. Humans are not smart enough to cross or roads without getting hit and we invented the car! There was a chance that there was only one mountain lion in Connecticut and it still was killed on their roads. Mountain lions are also very good at avoiding humans.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Why do you need to highlight the Full word? I copy and pasted from the Idaho University web page about Dr Jeff Meldrum - Biographical Sketch here
It was their text, not mine, so obviously they feel the need to stress he is more than an associate professor.The article you linked is about Mark Wilson who it says is not a professor of anatomy or anything relevant to our discussion and not an expert in Bigfoot as Dr Jeff Meldrum seems to be. He is a professor of geology and natural sciences. Now.. who should we believe? Hmmm?
(my bolded text)
The point I was trying to make is that you can find far more professors and people in general that do not believe in Bigfoot; than you can the other way around: https://blogs.chapman.edu/wilkinson/...-america-2017/. That site says only 16% of people polled believe in Bigfoot. That leaves about 84% that do not and that would include professors with better credentials than your Dr. Meldrum. So lets not play this game about who is more believable. I believe in Jack Links!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Yes, fake oil paintings have been sold but how many of those were sold to private collectors or inexperienced dealers? Again, your example is not relevant to this discussion because it is not as if the Bigfoot plaster casts are being sold off for millions of dollars at auction so there is not really any use in providing fake authentications or pronouncing them as "real" if they are not.
If these cast are being sold for millions of dollars there are millions of reasons to fake a cast. The more money the more reasons; stand to reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 05:03 PM
 
Location: PRC
2,710 posts, read 2,985,492 times
Reputation: 2457
Quote:
The point I was trying to make is that you can find far more professors and people in general that do not believe in Bigfoot; than you can the other way around: https://blogs.chapman.edu/wilkinson/...-america-2017/. That site says only 16% of people polled believe in Bigfoot. That leaves about 84% that do not and that would include professors with better credentials than your Dr. Meldrum. So lets not play this game about who is more believable. I believe in Jack Links!
There are probably more people who believe in lots of things than those who dont, but it does not mean anything at all. So what if more people believe Bigfoot does NOT exist. It does not make it more or less true.

Nor does it make people (professors or other people) any less qualified.

We tend to believe people who are qualified to know what they are talking about and who have some expertise in a particular subject area. The article you linked to talks of Prof Wilson as asking his audience who had experienced what they believed was Bigfoot and THEN proceeded to say they had all been mistaken. It seems he has lost touch with reality and merely lives in a science lab.

Quote:
One of the most frequent examples of proof is eyewitness accounts.
Some audience members told Wilson during the presentation stories of their experiences, like a sighting in the woods or casts of footprints.
And about half of the more than 300 audience members raised their hands when asked if they believe in Bigfoot.
But Wilson said these accounts are not reliable and therefore not scientifically convincing.

"The problem is that eyewitness accounts are shockingly poor in reporting what actually happened," he said. "They make good stories, but they don't make good science."
Scientists need to find some middle-ground between pure science and people-evidence where they are studying these things which impact the population. It is fine to have a lab approach but they cannot get caught up in so much science that they ignore society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-10-2018, 05:48 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,158 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9317
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There are probably more people who believe in lots of things than those who dont, but it does not mean anything at all. So what if more people believe Bigfoot does NOT exist. It does not make it more or less true.

Nor does it make people (professors or other people) any less qualified.

We tend to believe people who are qualified to know what they are talking about and who have some expertise in a particular subject area. The article you linked to talks of Prof Wilson as asking his audience who had experienced what they believed was Bigfoot and THEN proceeded to say they had all been mistaken. It seems he has lost touch with reality and merely lives in a science lab.

In the poll I posted there are more people that believe in ancient advanced civilizations (55%). Or places haunted (52%). But Bigfoot is way down on that list. The kicker is that you and your believers can change that by simply giving us the evidence. People love to believe in what they cannot see or touch or something we have not discovered - but no one wants to be another's fool. It is not in the non-believer's court; the evidence has to come from people that have actually experienced one of these animals and it has to hold up to public scrutiny.



Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Scientists need to find some middle-ground between pure science and people-evidence where they are studying these things which impact the population. It is fine to have a lab approach but they cannot get caught up in so much science that they ignore society.

Here is Wikipedia on the scientific method (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientific_method): "Scientific method is an empirical method of knowledge acquisition, which has characterized the development of natural science since at least the 17th century, involving careful observation, which includes rigorous skepticism about what one observes, given that cognitive assumptions about how the world works influence how one interprets a percept; formulating hypotheses, via induction, based on such observations; experimental testing and measurement of deductions drawn from the hypotheses; and refinement (or elimination) of the hypotheses based on the experimental findings. These are principles of the scientific method, as opposed to a definitive series of steps applicable to all scientific enterprises."

This did not happen overnight. Many scientist and researchers developed this method over the last several centuries. Just because some think the rules should be changed for BF; does not mean that it will happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 06:33 PM
 
10,157 posts, read 9,909,396 times
Reputation: 3914
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
There are no mountain lions in PA. At least according to our Game Commission. There were also none in Connecticut; until the one woman, driving a car, hit and killed one. But then they had scientific proof if it's existence. They could run the DNA and trace the mountain lion back to it's origins. While many talk about Bigfoot hot spots out West supposedly they are seen all over the US by your BRFO source:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pp8NvGuieY.
If you pay attention to that map; you will see that the majority of reports are close to civilization and not out in the sticks. Interstate highways crisscross map and it would only be logical to have one dead roadkill - if they existed. Humans are not smart enough to cross or roads without getting hit and we invented the car! There was a chance that there was only one mountain lion in Connecticut and it still was killed on their roads. Mountain lions are also very good at avoiding humans.




The point I was trying to make is that you can find far more professors and people in general that do not believe in Bigfoot; than you can the other way around: https://blogs.chapman.edu/wilkinson/...-america-2017/. That site says only 16% of people polled believe in Bigfoot. That leaves about 84% that do not and that would include professors with better credentials than your Dr. Meldrum. So lets not play this game about who is more believable. I believe in Jack Links!



If these cast are being sold for millions of dollars there are millions of reasons to fake a cast. The more money the more reasons; stand to reason?
You sure spend a lot of time trying to convince us that they don't exist.Very confusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,158 posts, read 10,580,292 times
Reputation: 9317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
You sure spend a lot of time trying to convince us that they don't exist.Very confusing.
\


I am simply asking for evidence so that I could believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-12-2018, 03:50 AM
 
Location: PRC
2,710 posts, read 2,985,492 times
Reputation: 2457
Quote:
I am simply asking for evidence so that I could believe.
Yeah, same old people looking for proof all the time. No-one can give you proof and certainly not on a plate like you want it. We (and I think I speak for a large number of 'believers') dont really care if you believe or not. Thats not why we are here.

I dont even know why we bother to try to give you all the proof you say you would like to have. I dont believe the folks who say that really want it anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top