U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 08:12 AM

4,640 posts, read 2,391,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
There is no excuse for the absolute rubbish we get from the satellite companies showing us antarctica.
Sweetie, they do not owe you an excuse. If you want high image pictures of the poles you can either pay for them or launch your own satellite.
Quote:
Maybe the nay-sayers can answer that for a start.
You want answers but will not provide answers? Perhaps you can tell us why that is for a start?
Quote:
We have many satellites which fly over the Poles and all we get is blank areas without any detail. There is really no reason why - or is there?
Just because you do not see a reason does not mean there is a reason.

First let us break down your statement:

We have many satellites which fly over the Poles - "We"? If YOU have many satellites that fly over the poles you should be able to provide those pictures for us!! But the fact is that there are not near as many satellites that orbit the poles for various reasons.

and all we get is blank areas without any detail. - There really are not that many people needing to pay for detailed images. Do you work for free?

Plus here is a high-resolution satellite photo of McMurdo Station:

So either you are lying or exaggerating, which is fine but you seem to expect perfection from others....

Detailed shots do not really matter unless you are a trained satellite photo analyst or possibly a geologist.

Here is a post you made about a picture from Mars:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/41053028-post30.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 01:04 PM

903 posts, read 471,709 times
If you combine all the conspiracy theories, Antarctica has a lost city inhabited by nazis, communists and extraterrestrials who guard the center of the hollow earth and use alien technology to hide it from satellites.

Old 01-31-2018, 09:40 PM

9,046 posts, read 10,546,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
If you combine all the conspiracy theories, Antarctica has a lost city inhabited by nazis, communists and extraterrestrials who guard the center of the hollow earth and use alien technology to hide it from satellites.
Awesome. So how do I become a citizen?

Old 01-31-2018, 11:20 PM

2,417 posts, read 2,795,996 times
There are supposed to be at least 4 strange 'holes' occasionally too(see below for 2 of these). These 'holes' could of course be small lakes as there are geothermal areas which allow liquid water to pool at some parts of the year. However, they look a little like 'holes' in the surface to me and less like the other natural lakes which I have seen in the map programs of Antarctica. Lakes is the 'official' explanation anyway.

The other thing I need to point out is that this comparison image is of the same area before and after February 2006. This shows that some changes occur over time. Since there is no ice station at this point on the continent, then I assume the changes must either be due to natural volcanic action... or something else making them. You decide. I did not find these images I just copied all of them from somewhere , some forum, etc where I found them on the web.

Fairly recent news:
McMurdo US station is supposed to be moving to a different part of Antarctica due to a huge crack in the ice sheet which has developed. It is going to cast them off into the ocean if they dont move pretty soon, so keep an eye on the news for this.

If 'anything' has been going on underneath the ice, if they have been extending the McMurdo base below the ice, then all this will have to be abandoned and moved North to a new base area somewhere beyond the huge crack in the ice.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:21 AM

17,529 posts, read 15,781,312 times
Hollow earth, flat earth, global warming, aliens, its all good.

Old 02-01-2018, 06:47 AM

17,529 posts, read 15,781,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
That's right. There's a risk it could get loose and infect the entire world. What happened in Antarctica is all documented, but kept under wraps to avoid global panic!
Here's more of the leaked classified dialogue.

Palmer: "Childs, happens all the time, man. They're falling out of the skies like flies. Government knows all about it, right, Mac?"

Palmer: "Childs, Childs... Chariots of the Gods, man. They practically own South America. I mean, they taught the Incas everything they know." [takes a hit off a joint]

Childs: "So how's this mf wake up after thousands of years in the ice?"

Bennings: "And how can it look like a dog?"

MacReady: "I don't know how. 'Cause it's different than us, see? 'Cause it's from outer space. What do you want from me? Ask him!" [motions to Blair]
>>> I loved that movie and my friends and I saw it in the theater when we were in school. The Thing, that was an interesting creature. If you think about it they probably all would have become infected pretty quickly just by breathing if it was in the vicinity. That's how virus' and colds are spread and many diseases. It could have faked a sneeze and sent airborne particles they'd inhale and then they're infected.
I had my own take on the creature. I think it was actually very much like a virus, it could copy and mimic a host creature by absorbing it and replicating its cells. But it would not have had any greater intellect or knowledge of that which it replicated, I.E. it infected a dog it would have dog intelligence unless it also infected a human. But it would have the instinct for survival and the drive to infect others.
I think that was its one true weakness. It may have initially possessed advanced intelligence and possibly near indestructible endurance( to cold) but without new hosts to infect, keeping its life cycle alive, I think it would have died off in a matter of days or weeks. And it may have succumbed to the cold being frozen if its only cellular memory was that of a human or a dog. But organisms and seeds can be frozen for thousands of years and still germinate.
Another theory was that it wasn't so hostile at all, but it may have been a bio engineered creature that was sent to " collect" specimens and life forms by an advanced alien race for future study. It could go to a planet and absorb living creatures and then return with that data stored in its cellular memory. It may have sampled and absorbed life here to some extent, but it may not have wiped out every living thing since there was no need to. That would be the best case scenario had it escaped.
That prequel of 2012 was pretty sucky.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:53 AM

4,640 posts, read 2,391,218 times
Quote:
There are supposed to be at least 4 strange 'holes' occasionally too(see below for 2 of these). These 'holes' could of course be small lakes as there are geothermal areas which allow liquid water to pool at some parts of the year. However, they look a little like 'holes' in the surface to me and less like the other natural lakes which I have seen in the map programs of Antarctica. Lakes is the 'official' explanation anyway.

The other thing I need to point out is that this comparison image is of the same area before and after February 2006. This shows that some changes occur over time. Since there is no ice station at this point on the continent, then I assume the changes must either be due to natural volcanic action... or something else making them. You decide. I did not find these images I just copied all of them from somewhere , some forum, etc where I found them on the web.

Fairly recent news:
McMurdo US station is supposed to be moving to a different part of Antarctica due to a huge crack in the ice sheet which has developed. It is going to cast them off into the ocean if they dont move pretty soon, so keep an eye on the news for this.

If 'anything' has been going on underneath the ice, if they have been extending the McMurdo base below the ice, then all this will have to be abandoned and moved North to a new base area somewhere beyond the huge crack in the ice.
You just posted that we have many satellites which fly over the Poles and all we get is blank areas without any detail and here you post detailed pics. You are free to interpret the satellite images how you wish but you should state your level of training and experience in satellite picture interpretation for sake of openness.

Old 02-03-2018, 10:36 AM

13,216 posts, read 10,497,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Scott View Post
They did mention this, and the theory was that they discovered a lost city under the ice. I loved Journey to the center of the Earth as a kid and although I am doubtful, it's a lot of fun to think about. Rumors of this civilization being advanced with time machines and flying crafts and sort of a Shangri La paradise still get discussed regularly.
Everything from the Annunaki to Atlantis to a giant crashed UFO have been mentioned too.

Any discovery of even a simple small primitive town ruins would be big news though alone.

Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth is a good one. When I was a school age lad I really liked Edgar Rice Burrough's Tales of Pellucider as well. Tarzan himself even visited Pellucider. Haha. A couple different sci fi authors postulated about a complete world within the World. Populated by fantastic creatures and extremely interesting people.

In the stories the entrance to Pellucider was a huge chasm in the Arctic. The Arctic and Antarctic have been the subject of a lot of really cool fiction.

Old 02-03-2018, 02:01 PM

3,764 posts, read 3,029,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Verne's Journey to the Center of the Earth is a good one. When I was a school age lad I really liked Edgar Rice Burrough's Tales of Pellucider as well. Tarzan himself even visited Pellucider. Haha. A couple different sci fi authors postulated about a complete world within the World. Populated by fantastic creatures and extremely interesting people.

In the stories the entrance to Pellucider was a huge chasm in the Arctic. The Arctic and Antarctic have been the subject of a lot of really cool fiction.
First "weird" tale about the Antarctic AFAIK was "The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket", by Edgar Allen Poe (it was his only novel). It was written in 1838, only 19 years after the first sighting of its ice sheet by an expedition led by Fabian Gottlieb von Bellingshausen and Mikhail Lazarev. You can read it here:

http://xroads.virginia.edu/%7EMA98/s.../fulltext.html

The story was a major influence on H. P. Lovecraft's Antarctic tale, "At the Mountains of Madness".

Old 02-03-2018, 03:03 PM

4,878 posts, read 7,571,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
The story was a major influence on H. P. Lovecraft's Antarctic tale, "At the Mountains of Madness".
There's an indie Horror/Survival VR computer game of that title. Same location.
https://mountainsgame.wordpress.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal