Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 03:05 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times

Advertisements

If you Google "Making the clouds disappear" you will find many links including this one: Dissolving Clouds | Real Psychic Power.

I am now a non-believer in most paranormal. But when I was much younger; I tried making clouds dissolve and felt that I could also make them disappear. Perhaps it is all coincidence and we just get the knack for picking the right clouds? I don't like the term physic - especially when used in combination with making (or thinking we made) clouds disappear. I would rather see good, hard, scientific evidence to support or refute this claim.

I am curious how many others have ever tried this? How many people felt they were successful and how many people felt that they had no control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2013, 04:16 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Fair weather cumulus are constantly forming and evaporating as bubbles of warm air rise from the surface then cool off ... So if you stare at one long enough it will disappear. We tend to remember our "successes" more than our failures in situations like this.

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now if you tell us you can look at a deck of stratus and punch a hole in it with your mind, that's a different matter ...

Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
If you Google "Making the clouds disappear" you will find many links including this one: Dissolving Clouds | Real Psychic Power.

I am now a non-believer in most paranormal. But when I was much younger; I tried making clouds dissolve and felt that I could also make them disappear. Perhaps it is all coincidence and we just get the knack for picking the right clouds? I don't like the term physic - especially when used in combination with making (or thinking we made) clouds disappear. I would rather see good, hard, scientific evidence to support or refute this claim.

I am curious how many others have ever tried this? How many people felt they were successful and how many people felt that they had no control?
Thought I'd look to see any new threads in the forum and lo and behold...here's fisheye.

Never in my paranormal quest heard of making clouds disappear, so I'm skeptical.

Liked to see faces in clouds as a kid though.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:52 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:

I have personally never tried this, however, I strongly believe in the theory of quantum mechanics and that everything is connected by a web that is impervious to time and space. I have no problem believing that your thoughts (which are things), can certainly influence anything. After all, science has proven that our brains do emit a frequency similar to radio waves and that radio waves do affect the molecular structure of solid objects that they pass through.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,552,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have personally never tried this, however, I strongly believe in the theory of quantum mechanics and that everything is connected by a web that is impervious to time and space. I have no problem believing that your thoughts (which are things), can certainly influence anything. After all, science has proven that our brains do emit a frequency similar to radio waves and that radio waves do affect the molecular structure of solid objects that they pass through.

20yrsinBranson
In other words telekinesis?

Clouds are mainly gas and must contain ice particles to be solids.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:59 PM

535 posts, read 1,295,314 times
I saw the idea of "making clouds disappear with your mind" somewhere and gave it a whirl with success. I was so excited about it that I called my 12 year old daughter out to witness my accomplishment. She burst my bubble immediately when she informed that I had not done anything extraordinary because clouds automatically dissipate on their own as she shook her head in amusement and walk back inside.

Old 12-11-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Fair weather cumulus are constantly forming and evaporating as bubbles of warm air rise from the surface then cool off ... So if you stare at one long enough it will disappear. We tend to remember our "successes" more than our failures in situations like this.

Confirmation bias - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now if you tell us you can look at a deck of stratus and punch a hole in it with your mind, that's a different matter ...
Like I originally stated: I am a non-believing skeptic. I probably would not have even started this thread if I never Googled "making clouds disappear".

I have not tried to "make" clouds disappear for years. Yes; I had questioned my findings over and over again when I was younger. I would try to pick out larger clouds that were next to light, fluffy, clouds. Sometimes I would think that I made some of the hardest clouds in the group dissipate. Was it scientific - NO. Could I have had a confirmation bias - YES.

It is oblivious that others feel they have this power from the number of links you get with Google. So I figured I would just throw it out there. Of course it would never rain if this was true! On the other hand; we did have a very dry summer in my neck of the woods.

If any of you ever have time to kill; just try dissipating clouds. Start off with the light, fluffy, ones that look like they would dissipate without your help. Then work up to large ones. Stare long and hard at them until the disappear into the blue background. The odds are much greater than flipping coins - but many of the clouds will dissipate on their own.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:21 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,940,900 times
Here's what a scientific experiment to test this might look like:

You'd want to select days with fair weather cumulus that meet the same meteorological profile: temperature/moisture profile, wind, etc. for your trials. You'd define a standard size for a cloud, and sample a few clouds first and measure the amount of time it takes them to dissipate without someone staring at them. This could be done without interference by filming then examining the film. Since all fair weather cumulus eventually dissipate, you'd need to identify a time frame for concentration to show results that's less than or equal to the maximum time it's taking for a cumulus of the defined size to dissipate.

The experimenter would randomly select clouds that met the criteria and direct the subject to make them dissipate, then measure the amount of times for the clouds to dissipate. The sky would be filmed at the same time, and the mean time for clouds randomly selected that are not being "ordered" to dissipate to do so measured. If there's a real effect, the mean time for clouds to dissipate when ordered to do so should be less than the mean time for clouds that are not ordered to do so. If there's no real effect, there should be no statistical difference between the average dissipation time for the two populations (concentrated on vs. not concentrated on).

Then you publish your results and others can try to duplicate them by following your carefully documented procedures. If enough people can follow these procedures and get the same results, you're probably onto something. If it can't be replicated, you've got bupkis.

Old 12-12-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Here's what a scientific experiment to test this might look like:
Actually it doesn't look like the one in the original fist link that I posted. If you played the video the clouds on the sides of the man's "target" cloud also disappeared. That would be a great case for bias in any experiment. Actually I did not even play the whole video. The first part was just new age BS and not about the subject.

There are no clouds out today around me. Saturday/Sunday we are supposed to have 3 to 5 inches of snow. If you see a little hole in the Northeaster PA radar picture; you will know what happened! I do have my plow mounted - just incase!

It would have to be a lot warmer outside before I sit and watch clouds again. Our high did not go above 20 today.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:54 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,870,119 times
Quote:
...I don't like the term physic...
I don't care much for that term either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal