U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 09:46 AM

412 posts, read 300,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
All I'm saying is that I was awake and it was reality.I wasn't imagining it. There's thousands of similarstories all over the internet. Even before that Art Bell did a story in 2001 on coast to coast and he got 4700 emails from people with similar but different stories.
To me that just adds more credence that it has to be something natural that happens with a certain level of sleep or that it is a sleep disorder.

I get hypnapompic hallucinations all the time. I've had them since around 1998. I can see all kinds of things from patterns to objects and a couple of times weird people shaped things.

Also if I play computer games too much like something with a set pattern on it like mahjohng, I continue to "see" those images in my head when I'm not playing the game. It's like they're burned in for a day or so and I have to stop playing and let my mind rest. I would see the game pattern like a hallucination when I closed my eyes and if I played it a lot (like for hours on weekends and whatnot) then I could even have them pop up when my eyes were open. A neurologist told me my brain was overstimulated.

The brain is still not fully understood. I really think a lot of what people say are demons and supernatural are actually natural but since we don't have a better understanding of them, we call them those things just like years ago people thought epileptics were possessed and so on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2018, 10:03 AM

4,007 posts, read 3,225,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
I hope I didn't give the impression that I think these were demonic experiences or paranormal. I thought I was clear about that.
I was supporting what you said, not trying to contradict it.

Old 02-13-2018, 10:27 AM

4,484 posts, read 2,720,548 times
my wife has suffered from sleep paralysis her whole life (she's 40 now). She gets the the demons/man sitting on her chest. It freaked me out the first time I witnessed it but after 8 years I'm used to it. She's had all the medical tests to rule out issues and nothing.

The weird thing is that I've started to experience it since being with her and I never had it my entire life before. I lived about 35 years without it and over the past 5 years I've had more and more "episodes" to where I experience something about 4-5 nights a week for the past two years. I don't see any figures. I just get jolted awake with my heart racing and I can't move or talk. I usually have to lay there for about 10 minutes to get my bearings and then get out of bed and basically fully wake myself up before I can then go back to bed. I also had a sleep study a few months ago and they said I don't have apnea or anything. The rest of my vitals and blood work are all very good. It's a mystery!

I should also mention that mine almost always occur at 3am. Sometimes it's 3:05 or 2:55 but I'd say 75% of the time it's 3am on the dot. I think there is some significance to that because that seems to be a common time that many people experience different sleep episodes

Old 02-13-2018, 10:31 AM

4,007 posts, read 3,225,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
All I'm saying is that I was awake and it was reality.I wasn't imagining it. There's thousands of similarstories all over the internet. Even before that Art Bell did a story in 2001 on coast to coast and he got 4700 emails from people with similar but different stories.
There aren't just two states of consciousness: awake and asleep. There are many states of consciousness, including the hypnopompic and hypnogogic states (which are transitionary states between awake and asleep).

Hallucinations can be utterly convincing. I was awake when I saw bits and pieces of my dream imagery around me as a child, when I had my deja vu experiences, when I had drug-induced experiences back in the 1960s. These were all utterly convincing, and seemed like "reality" at the time.

Quote:
Hallucinations are perceptions in the absence of an external stimulus and are accompanied by a compelling sense of their reality. ... hallucinations are not only associated with illness but can also occur in healthy individuals. ... In healthy people, pseudohallucinations can even be generated at will by mild sensory deprivation; for example, vivid dreamlike visual imagery can be induced in some individuals by placing 2 halves of a ping pong ball over the eyes and playing a recording of the sounds of a waterfall for several minutes. ...
(source)

Old 02-23-2018, 03:02 PM

219 posts, read 176,771 times
My wife recently had a short bout with this. It would happen shortly after I left for work in the early morning (5am). It was like clockwork every morning. She'll see a dark figure approach from our bedroom door and continue until it was on top of her and she couldn't move or wake up. It would never happen when I'm there like on the weekends. Happened for a few weeks until we told my father-in-law, not her father but my brother-in-law's father. While not a shaman he was still knowledgeable in the spirit world and supernatural stuff. He tied a string for our hands for the both of us with words of blessing and other gibberish I couldn't understand. He also made a dreamcatcher kind of thing to hang on our door. After that it stopped immediately and hasn't occurred for almost a year now. Real or just a placebo effect? We'll we don't know but we're glad it stopped.

My mom also battled the same thing for years. Similar thing with a dark figure beside or at the foot of the bed. It got so bad my dad finally had a shaman come in and do her whole spiritual ritual. Ever since she hasn't had a single occurrence for over 10 years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal