Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 08:32 PM

6,907 posts, read 6,816,966 times

Advertisements

Although I am not a Flat Earther, I thought some of us may like to consider the extent of this belief and the number of people subscribing to it.

Link to The Guardian article

Quote:
When the community was still very young, around 2013, theories spread quickly, though only between outlying networks of conspiracy theorists. Now hypotheses appear weekly, released across hundreds of online channels. Many come from the US, where the scene simmers not far below the mainstream. Conventions are popping up throughout North America. In August, believers will travel to Edmonton, Canada. In November they’ll meet in Denver, Colorado. Conference organisers are planning the world’s first Flat Earth cruise. It will set sail some time in 2019.
Quote:
“And the thing about conspiracy beliefs is that they’re kind of non-falsifiable. There’s no piece of evidence that could convince someone they’re wrong, because any evidence that does suggest they’re wrong has obviously been put there by the conspirators. In the case of the Flat Earth, that would be the scientific community.”

Last edited by ocpaul20; 05-27-2018 at 08:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2018, 09:13 PM

4,540 posts, read 2,749,151 times
I think the existence of flat-earthers (outside of a few tribal people?) is a hoax.

Old 05-28-2018, 02:23 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,220,110 times
Attached Thumbnails
Britain's Flat Earthers Conference Sunday 27 May 2018-flat-earth.jpg  

Old 05-28-2018, 08:28 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,910,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I think the existence of flat-earthers (outside of a few tribal people?) is a hoax.
It's not a hoax.

Philip Stallings: The Biblical Flat Earth: The Teaching From Scripture
https://wikiislam.net/wiki/Flat_Earth_and_the_Quran

Old 05-28-2018, 08:50 AM

2,269 posts, read 1,621,285 times
I’m still waiting for one to take me to an edge or corner. I’d like to see it for myself.

I also have trouble believing anyone with a brain is serious about this now. I think it’s just trolling, like the Pastafarians and their flying spaghetti monster.

Old 05-28-2018, 09:24 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,910,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesLucid View Post
I’m still waiting for one to take me to an edge or corner. I’d like to see it for myself.

I also have trouble believing anyone with a brain is serious about this now. I think it’s just trolling, like the Pastafarians and their flying spaghetti monster.

Read the links I posted. Fundamentalist Christians and Moslems (some of them) believe in a flat earth, for the same reason they believe the earth is a few thousand years old. They're not trolling, they're not saying it ironically. Whether you'd place them in the "anyone with a brain" category is a different matter.

Last edited by Vasily; 05-28-2018 at 10:52 AM..

Old 05-28-2018, 09:54 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,542,620 times
I can make a better argument that Santa Claus exists. All I need do is postulate that he is able to function outside of time or function in some yet unexplained manner within time. The same applies to the Easter Bunny.

Old 05-28-2018, 11:37 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,473,899 times
Unlike other conspiracy theories, it doesnt matter what the real shape of the earth is.

How would the govt (or anyone) benefit if majority of people were duped into believing the wrong shape of the earth? I cant think of anything.

With most other CTs, there is some benefit or motivation to keep the thing secret.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:16 PM

18,544 posts, read 7,294,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I agree. They're having fun concocting amusing rationales for their "belief" while trolling everyone gullible enough to believe they really believe the earth is flat.

Old 05-28-2018, 01:53 PM

22,864 posts, read 28,122,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Read the links I posted. Fundamentalist Christians and Moslems (some of them) believe in a flat earth, for the same reason they believe the earth is a few thousand years old. They're not trolling, they're not saying it ironically. Whether you'd place them in the "anyone with a brain" category is a different matter.
Yup. It's a fundamental misunderstanding of the Bible. I cannot speak for the proper interpretation of the Koran.

But there is a basic principal when it comes to properly interpreting the Bible: Consider the genre. And no book of the Bible is a science book. Treating it as such would be like using Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind" as a metereological text, then being stunned when it proves ineffective. Well yeah, because it was never meant to be used as such.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal