Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 04:39 AM

6,795 posts, read 2,904,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Could have been a tree branch or loose gutter tapping against the side of the building.
Not a chance. It was a quiet, still night, not a hint of any breeze. These were definitely and unmistakably footsteps. There was no doubt in our minds. Not to mention that there was no nearby tree branch or loose gutter that could cause such a sound even if there had been a wind or breeze. We checked all of these things out the following morning in the light of day. Incidentally, the house is still there some 50 years later. I just found it on Google Map. I'm pretty sure that it's the one. The address is 19 Carter Knowle Road, Sheffield, England. It took me a while to locate the street since Google Map took me first to just about every street but the one that I typed in.

If it comes through accurately, this is the house:

https://www.google.com.au/maps/place...6!4d-1.4876426
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2018, 06:57 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,202,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
'M', Many times in our daily lives, unknown to us, we open a portal to the spirit world.
One subconscious thought is all it takes.
It is a well established fact that not all spirits are back into the spirit word, upon leaving the body they were encased in during some lifetime existence.

I would bet the farm, should you return to that lodge, and perhaps a different room, you would experience the same things that you experienced this time.

As with your experience, many of us open portals to the other side, without ever knowing it.
We see, or hear something strange, and can't figure out what it is.
Why is it happening?
I could give you, and others, who may at some time, experience similar events, the way to deal with these intrusions.

First off, one needs to understand when we experience these events, we have opened the door to spirits who, for one reason or another, seek us to free them from their bondage.
Obviously we can't free them, but we can be the conduit that insures that at some point, they will be released from that which holds them in limbo.

Bob.
Thank you. A lot of what you're saying, Bob, makes sense, based on some past reading I've done about the spirit world. This lodge originates from a long time ago...I forget when it first opened, but someone left a review that mentioned how long it had been there. It's been remodeled very nicely, but there is a part of it that is old-old. In fact, a lot of buildings in this town are very old, including the restaurant, just down the highway, where we had dinner that night. This spirit noticed what I was reading and the reviews about the book on Amazon. I will say this for the spirit's benefit: I know nothing about this kind of spirit world, and after what happened this past weekend, I have no desire to become involved. My knowledge of the "spirit world", if you will, is limited to present day spiritual practices written about, and influenced by, Emma Curtis Hopkins and her numerous proteges who went on to become leaders in the New Thought movement. I am her student along with the writings of Ernest Holmes and others.

I have a practitioner where I live who more than likely has some experience with this. I will go to her to have her release my attachment to any spirits who were lingering around the lodge and down the highway.

"I am unable help you. This is beyond my abilities and my desire to learn them. I'm sorry. You need to find someone with the knowledge to help you. And so it is."

Old 04-29-2018, 07:47 AM

5,162 posts, read 4,486,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'M' View Post
This spirit noticed what I was reading and the reviews about the book on Amazon.
Paranoid schizophrenia??

Old 04-29-2018, 08:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
It could be something strange, but you must rule out more realistic causes first.

During my sophomore year in high school, I stayed at my uncles house in the county over, my bedroom was in the lower level of a bi-level home, there was also a pool table on the lower level, and the room it was in, had those cheap vinyl tiles as flooring, EVERY SINGLE night, I would hear pool balls hitting the floor, hundreds of times, sometimes one or two, and other times numerous balls at one time, this would go on all thru the night.

I waited by my bedroom door plenty of times and rushed out, trying to see what was causing this, but everytime I did this, nothing was ever out of place, pool balls were always resting in the area they were stored in when not in use. I ruled everything else out before determining it was indeed something strange. I never found out the cause, and eventually moved out of the house. My uncle and his wife did not believe me, told me I was dreaming, but I was not, it was every single night for over a year! Someone later told me, the area where his house is, was some kind of special land used by Indians in the past, not sure if that had anything to do with it, but it was scary to hear every night, I can still hear that distinct sound of pool balls hitting vinyl tile.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:25 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
I’m still not clear as to whether or not the OP was the only person in the whole building or just the only guest checked in.

If there wasn’t any other human there, or that human was asleep on the job, could it simply have been someone who saw the “vacancy” sign on & was trying to get a room? And was actually standing outside knocking?

Old 04-29-2018, 09:15 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,099,317 times
Also, hotel WiFi connections are notoriously not secure. I pay a an extra $5/ month for a hotspot on my cellphone that I can use. Sometimes I go for months without needing it but I’m glad it’s there when I do.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:26 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I’m still not clear as to whether or not the OP was the only person in the whole building or just the only guest checked in.

If there wasn’t any other human there, or that human was asleep on the job, could it simply have been someone who saw the “vacancy” sign on & was trying to get a room? And was actually standing outside knocking?
dingdingdingdingding! I think we may have a winner!

OP, I think you mentioned, it was an exterior door, not an interior one? Perhaps you could call the owner, if not now, then the next time you plan a trip to the area, as you said you'd like to stay at the same lodge again, and ask if there's a possibility that potential late-arriving patrons might knock on the door, seeking a vacancy.

Old 04-29-2018, 10:46 AM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It could be something strange, but you must rule out more realistic causes first.

During my sophomore year in high school, I stayed at my uncles house in the county over, my bedroom was in the lower level of a bi-level home, there was also a pool table on the lower level, and the room it was in, had those cheap vinyl tiles as flooring, EVERY SINGLE night, I would hear pool balls hitting the floor, hundreds of times, sometimes one or two, and other times numerous balls at one time, this would go on all thru the night.

I waited by my bedroom door plenty of times and rushed out, trying to see what was causing this, but everytime I did this, nothing was ever out of place, pool balls were always resting in the area they were stored in when not in use. I ruled everything else out before determining it was indeed something strange. I never found out the cause, and eventually moved out of the house. My uncle and his wife did not believe me, told me I was dreaming, but I was not, it was every single night for over a year! Someone later told me, the area where his house is, was some kind of special land used by Indians in the past, not sure if that had anything to do with it, but it was scary to hear every night, I can still hear that distinct sound of pool balls hitting vinyl tile.
rstevens62 .... yup, I've seen plenty of TV shows, read articles and books, and also heard other people share their own stories...there is plenty of this type of thing that goes on, under the radar...unless of course, it happens to YOU, and then you become a believer.

Indian land is notorious for this kind of thing. Was anyone ever with you in the bedroom when this happened? To be more specific, did they hear the balls, too?

Old 04-29-2018, 10:50 AM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
dingdingdingdingding! I think we may have a winner!

OP, I think you mentioned, it was an exterior door, not an interior one? Perhaps you could call the owner, if not now, then the next time you plan a trip to the area, as you said you'd like to stay at the same lodge again, and ask if there's a possibility that potential late-arriving patrons might knock on the door, seeking a vacancy.
Ruth4Truth - good strategy..I'll put this one on the list for next visit. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2018, 11:01 AM
'M'

Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post

coschristi - I was the only person in my little building of 5 units, and was also the only person on the entire premises, except for the two owners. They told me that there were no other guests except for me. I asked them about it. My room was up an outdoor flight of sturdy wooden stairs in an out-of-the way area over looking the river...it would not have had a lot of regular foot traffic. There would only be a couple of people who would need to come upstairs to one of the two rooms at the top of the stairs. So, it wasn't in a place that could have been mistaken for the office, which was down below.

To add to this...since the outside stairs were wood, if someone had come up the stairs, I would have heard them walking. The next time I'm there, I'll have a friend come over to walk the stairs and walk to my door to see how much I can hear.

I'm wondering about the names of the former owners, and when they passed away. Or, who knows, it could be an Indian area.

Since I used to live in this town, I'm very familiar with things like pine cones dropping on the roof, etc....but this was a regular knocking sound, as if someone was using the knuckles on their hand to knock on the door as is customary. The town has a population of 6-7,000 and has a large tourist influx starting about right now. So the town swells up during the season. But I never heard any stories about this kind of thing while I lived there.

I'm going to mention this to my group of friends who live there to see if they've ever heard anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal