Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 10:48 AM

3,040 posts, read 4,991,786 times

Advertisements

I'm a believer in what Stephen Hawking said about alien visitation, what makes us think that they would be benevolent? One has to ask the question of "why are they here"? If we believe they just dropped in for a cup of coffee while touring the cosmos, that is a little naive. I do think that if and when we are ever visited by aliens we need to be welcoming but cautious.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:49 PM

22,903 posts, read 28,194,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryj View Post
IOne has to ask the question of "why are they here"? If we believe they just dropped in for a cup of coffee while touring the cosmos, that is a little naive.
Thinking we might know what an interstellar or inter-dimensional species might be thinking about anything is a little naive. We simply have no idea. All our assumptions are based on our own background and experience --- very little of which would apply to creatures from elsewhere.

Old 05-08-2018, 09:01 PM

6,921 posts, read 6,842,483 times
Maybe of interest to some of us..

The following is a link to an NSA website document (not produced BY the NSA, but referencing some which were) which talks about the government and UFOs and also whether the CIA is stonewalling.

This NSA link is to an index of UFO-related documents

From reviewing some of these documents on their website, I dont think there is any doubt that there are some craft which are technologically far in advance of jets and rockets and unknown to normal NSA rank and file - whether they are unknown to ALL levels of the NSA is another matter.

Old 05-10-2018, 09:40 AM

28,885 posts, read 30,205,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Also from the article:

Hertz allegedly states that aliens will find humans first, “and it won’t be pretty.” Insisting there wouldn’t be time for a press conference when first contact occurred, he noted that it would all be over “in a hot white flash in the sky and lights out.” After commenting on humanity’s immaturity, he goes on to state: “We’re basically infants and when the adults show up… it’s game over.” He says mankind would be better off to wipe itself off the Earth before the aliens show up to do it for us.

boy ain't that the truth!!!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:07 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,539,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Steven Greer strikes me as more than a little woo woo. I can't decide if he genuinely believes the stuff if he spouts or if he's a huckster, but I lean toward the latter.
Of course details about UFOs and aliens are going to sound wacko, off the charts crazy! LOL

Old 05-10-2018, 10:16 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,539,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Hertz allegedly states that aliens will find humans first, “and it won’t be pretty.” Insisting there wouldn’t be time for a press conference when first contact occurred, he noted that it would all be over “in a hot white flash in the sky and lights out.” After commenting on humanity’s immaturity, he goes on to state: “We’re basically infants and when the adults show up… it’s game over.” He says mankind would be better off to wipe itself off the Earth before the aliens show up to do it for us.

Im not sure about that, they have been popping up in our skies for 1000s of years now, and so far, nothing drastic has happened yet.

If their goal was to destroy us, they could have done it already, and they would not need to do it thru some big massive invasion, an alien virus would wipe mankind off the map fairly quickly and we wouldnt even know they were doing it!

Old 05-10-2018, 10:43 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,924,948 times
Quote:

You mean the same Hertz who says it's a lie that he said those things?

Anybody can make up things about people and spread them on the internet. One small example: you will find the quote

Quote:
It is good to have an end to journey toward, but it is the journey that matters in the end.
attributed to Ernest Hemingway. In fact, it's a quote from one of the characters in Ursula K. LeGuin's 1969 science fiction novel "The Left Hand of Darkness":

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/lev-r...b_6868994.html

The incorrect attribution to Hemingway can be found on hundreds of websites. Yet there's no way to correct it - just as there's no way for Hertz to stop the flood of posts on conspiracy sites attributing false statements to him.

There are plenty of other examples of misattribution of quotes out there:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/List_of_misquotations

In the case of the Hertz quote, I suspect this was made up by someone in the UFO conspiracy community to bolster whatever story they were selling. This sort of hoaxing happens all the time in the paranormal/unsolved mysteries communities and has a long history -- the "Cardiff Giant" hoax; Fiji Mermaids; fake sasquatch corpses. It happens in other non-paranormal contexts, too;

1. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion was created in Russia in the years prior to the Bolshevik revolution to provide support to the anti-Jewish pogroms going on in the Russian Empire at the time. It supposedly contains notes from a meeting of Jewish "elders" in which they detailed their plans to take over the world.

2. The Donation of Constantine is an early forgery (probably early 8th century on behalf of the Pope at Charlemagne's urging who was using the Pope as a tool to consolidate his power in the western Empire) in which supposedly the Pope of Rome cures the Emperor Constantine of leprosy, and as a consequence, the Emperor grants the Pope sovereignty over all the patriarchates of Christianity: Rome, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Constantinople, and Antioch. This lie eventually led to the splintering of Christianity in the schism of 1054. It wasn't identified as a forgery until the 16th century when scholars pointed out inconsistencies that mean the document couldn't have been written in the fourth century.

So given this long history of made up documents and false attributions -- tell me again, why should we believe those attributing a quote to Hertz over Hertz himself, who says it's a lie?

Last edited by Vasily; 05-10-2018 at 11:03 AM..

Old 05-10-2018, 01:01 PM

28,885 posts, read 30,205,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
You mean the same Hertz who says it's a lie that he said those things?

Anybody can make up things about people and spread them on the internet. One small example: you will find the quote

attributed to Ernest Hemingway. In fact, it's a quote from one of the characters in Ursula K. LeGuin's 1969 science fiction novel "The Left Hand of Darkness":

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/lev-r...b_6868994.html

The incorrect attribution to Hemingway can be found on hundreds of websites. Yet there's no way to correct it - just as there's no way for Hertz to stop the flood of posts on conspiracy sites attributing false statements to him.

There are plenty of other examples of misattribution of quotes out there:

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/List_of_misquotations

In the case of the Hertz quote, I suspect this was made up by someone in the UFO conspiracy community to bolster whatever story they were selling. This sort of hoaxing happens all the time in the paranormal/unsolved mysteries communities and has a long history -- the "Cardiff Giant" hoax; Fiji Mermaids; fake sasquatch corpses. It happens in other non-paranormal contexts, too;

1. The Protocols of the Elders of Zion was created in Russia in the years prior to the Bolshevik revolution to provide support to the anti-Jewish pogroms going on in the Russian Empire at the time. It supposedly contains notes from a meeting of Jewish "elders" in which they detailed their plans to take over the world.

2. The Donation of Constantine is an early forgery (probably early 8th century on behalf of the Pope at Charlemagne's urging who was using the Pope as a tool to consolidate his power in the western Empire) in which supposedly the Pope of Rome cures the Emperor Constantine of leprosy, and as a consequence, the Emperor grants the Pope sovereignty over all the patriarchates of Christianity: Rome, Alexandria, Jerusalem, Constantinople, and Antioch. This lie eventually led to the splintering of Christianity in the schism of 1054. It wasn't identified as a forgery until the 16th century when scholars pointed out inconsistencies that mean the document couldn't have been written in the fourth century.

So given this long history of made up documents and false attributions -- tell me again, why should we believe those attributing a quote to Hertz over Hertz himself, who says it's a lie?
I don't care what you believe, that's up to you....

what I commented on was the simple statement that I did think is true...we are basically infants, and we are actually regressing when it comes to intellect, in my opinion.

Old 05-10-2018, 01:17 PM

13,139 posts, read 22,775,898 times
Relax NASA dude. The People Farmers are beyond your comprehension and will do what they do regardless. Might as well get mad that you need to inhale oxygen to continue living.

Old 05-10-2018, 02:14 PM

6,219 posts, read 5,924,948 times
Quote:
I don't care what you believe, that's up to you....

what I commented on was the simple statement that I did think is true...we are basically infants, and we are actually regressing when it comes to intellect, in my opinion.
Then you need to read a little more history. What's your proof that we're "regressing" or "infants"? This is a ridiculous claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.