U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 09:50 AM

5,896 posts, read 1,433,437 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
That's like saying a search for "bat boy" on Bing returns 11,300,000 hits, so there must be something to it. There's even a musical about him.
That doesnt make any sense, how any reports have you heard about involving bat boy?

An internet search like that is going to bring back 100s of 1000s if not more, totally non-related hits as well, it will focus on hits that have 'bat' and those that have 'boy' in them anywhere, more than likely only a handful of hits are going to be related to the actual search topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2018, 10:37 AM

4,015 posts, read 3,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That doesnt make any sense, how any reports have you heard about involving bat boy?

An internet search like that is going to bring back 100s of 1000s if not more, totally non-related hits as well, it will focus on hits that have 'bat' and those that have 'boy' in them anywhere, more than likely only a handful of hits are going to be related to the actual search topic.
If you put "bat boy" in quotes in a search, it returns results for the phrase. That returns 872,000 hits! Bat Boy still lives!!
In any case, the point I was making had nothing to do with the existence Bat Boy or the exact number of search hits. The point is: anyone can make up stories about anything and publish them on the internet or sell books about them. Or, like a certain French race car driver, create your own religion surrounding your claims.

You said: "...The underground Lizard people thing actually is very credible ... There are just too many stories, reports and encounters with these things for it to be completely false..."

OK, I'll bite: what stories and reports, and what is it about them that convinces you they're not just made-up craziness like Bat Boy?

Last edited by Vasily; 05-29-2018 at 10:49 AM..

Old 05-29-2018, 10:54 AM

3,167 posts, read 1,333,175 times
Quote:
I remember back in the 90s, I heard stories from a local dam where divers also encountered HUGE fish near the bottom. I cant recall exactly, but it seems like they were saying there was catfish and other 'bottom-feeders' in excess of 15-20ft long, and could swallow a man.

Im not sure if these stories are true, but at the same time, who knows whats in these big rivers, something this large could go unseen very easily.
I've lived in four different states during my adult life. And I've heard this same big-fish story in each one, attributed to whatever relatively deep local lake is around.

Old 05-29-2018, 10:54 AM

20,344 posts, read 20,314,312 times
Northern Wisconsin has the Hodag but the thing is it isn't fake and here is a picture from Wikipedia as it is about to eat a boy.

Old 05-29-2018, 11:23 AM

4,842 posts, read 4,159,563 times
In rural Northern California...Preston "Castle", it was a subject of one of those paranormal shows once. The infirmary was particularly creepy. Actually, it was a boy's reform school (Preston School of Industry now). Merle Haggard was a one-time resident! The old building looked like a red brick castle, said to be haunted by the spirits of the boys who died there, as well as the young female kitchen worker who was dragged to a remote area of the castle, raped, and murdered there. Super creepy! Now they have Halloween night time tours there. There's an old cemetery on the grounds that is also allegedly haunted.

There are numerous gold rush era towns in Nor Cal an all have their stories...I used to work near Ione (pronounced I own), the Ione Hotel, Room 13 is allegedly haunted. http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-321100 The owners back in the 80's made THE BEST calzones. How I miss them...

Here in Tennessee, the Bell Witch story is well known. I haven't been to the sight yet, but it's pretty famous. Movies have been made about it.

Last edited by TheShadow; 05-29-2018 at 11:38 AM..

Old 05-30-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I've lived in four different states during my adult life. And I've heard this same big-fish story in each one, attributed to whatever relatively deep local lake is around.
Well, it could be true in all those states too. Its not exactly a big stretch that there may be extraordinary large fish in some large bodies of water, some of the bottom feeder type fish, their size is only limited by their habitat, reaching 15-20ft is not too off the wall.

Besides that, only 5% of our oceans have been explored, who knows what kind of life we are yet to find there.

Old 05-30-2018, 12:58 PM

4,015 posts, read 3,237,377 times
Quote:
Well, it could be true in all those states too. Its not exactly a big stretch that there may be extraordinary large fish in some large bodies of water, some of the bottom feeder type fish, their size is only limited by their habitat, reaching 15-20ft is not too off the wall.

Besides that, only 5% of our oceans have been explored, who knows what kind of life we are yet to find there.

Large (100+ lbs) catfish, paddlefish, and sturgeons are occasionally found in the Mississippi River and its tributaries, as well as other river systems like the Missouri. I'd doubt there are any 15-20ft fish in the Mississippi now (due to a couple centuries of fishing), but there were reports back in the 19th century of explorers encountering huge sturgeons. Largest sturgeon caught on rod and reel by an angler in North America was 12 ft, in 2012:

https://www.inquisitr.com/281808/fra...north-america/

Old 05-31-2018, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
Large (100+ lbs) catfish, paddlefish, and sturgeons are occasionally found in the Mississippi River and its tributaries, as well as other river systems like the Missouri. I'd doubt there are any 15-20ft fish in the Mississippi now (due to a couple centuries of fishing), but there were reports back in the 19th century of explorers encountering huge sturgeons. Largest sturgeon caught on rod and reel by an angler in North America was 12 ft, in 2012:

https://www.inquisitr.com/281808/fra...north-america/
Most of these rivers are 30+ ft deep, and go on for hundreds of miles. Sure there have been fishermen for a long time, but Id bet majority of them are not setting their lines to fish at 25 ft or deeper.

If you consider how large and extensive rivers are, compared to how many people are fishing, really large fish could easily go undetected forever imo. I would go as far to say there are probably many things living in these rivers, that we have no idea about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal