U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2018, 09:45 AM

4,021 posts, read 3,248,685 times

Advertisements

Sneak peek episode on Sunday June 3rd, series starts the following Sunday:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...-alive-1113638
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2018, 07:31 AM

10,331 posts, read 4,043,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

This sounds like a great show that I would be interested in viewing. I think this thread should probably be in the Nature forum since there's nothing paranormal about an animal that may or may not be extinct that has been known to exist until recently. It's all good though and thanks for sharing.

Old 05-30-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
This sounds like a great show that I would be interested in viewing. I think this thread should probably be in the Nature forum since there's nothing paranormal about an animal that may or may not be extinct that has been known to exist until recently. It's all good though and thanks for sharing.

Per the Oxford Dictionaries site, a cryptid is "an animal whose existence or survival is disputed or unsubstantiated, such as the yeti." If discussions of Extinct or Alive don't really belong in this forum, I would say neither do the many threads related to other cryptid topics (like thylacine sightings).

Old 05-31-2018, 07:23 AM

10,331 posts, read 4,043,657 times
I always thought a cryptid is an animal or creature who's existence has never been proven or disproven like the Yeti, Loch ness monster and so forth but of course I could be wrong. The thylacine is a real animal probably extinct and I'm not aware of anyone who considers it a criptid. The only mystery around it now is whether or not there are still a few alive out there since it was very sadly hunted and poisoned to extinction. There are many animals that fall into this category. Are they all considered cyptids now?
I still say this is a topic for the nature forum but it really doesn't matter to me. I like the topic either way.

Old 05-31-2018, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I always thought a cryptid is an animal or creature who's existence has never been proven or disproven like the Yeti, Loch ness monster and so forth but of course I could be wrong. The thylacine is a real animal probably extinct and I'm not aware of anyone who considers it a criptid. The only mystery around it now is whether or not there are still a few alive out there since it was very sadly hunted and poisoned to extinction. There are many animals that fall into this category. Are they all considered cyptids now?
I still say this is a topic for the nature forum but it really doesn't matter to me. I like the topic either way.
Different articles and sites differ in their definition of what a "cryptid" is - for example, Wikipedia cites two books that include the thylacine as a cryptid:

Quote:
Due to the uncertainty of whether the species is still extant or not, the thylacine is sometimes regarded as a cryptid.
(source)

And this from the list of cryptids on Wikipedia:

Quote:
Cryptozoologists may consider any figure from folklore to be a "cryptid" (from the Greek κρύπτω, krypto, meaning "hide") after the term cryptozoology and meaning a 'hidden animal'. The Oxford English Dictionary defines the noun cryptid as "an animal whose existence or survival to the present day is disputed or unsubstantiated; any animal of interest to a cryptozoologist".[1] Some dictionaries and encyclopedias define the term "cryptid" as an animal whose existence is questionable
(source)

There are also a lot of cryptozoology sites that list thylacines as cryptids. I would personally count all animals whose extinction is in question as cryptids. It will be interesting to see how the host of the show defines cryptid (or if he addresses the term at all).

Old 09-02-2018, 09:45 AM

9,049 posts, read 20,141,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post

The thread should be in the TV forum. I almost made one, glad I found yours finally.

Did anyone watch the show? It was pretty good. Too bad there weren't many episodes due to being a new show. Love how Forrest really throws himself into every case.

Old 09-02-2018, 11:22 AM

12,995 posts, read 10,497,140 times
I just wished that these shows had a different format. So many of them today want to string their audience along instead of telling us that they found it or didn't find it in the beginning. I feel like I have been suckered when I watch one of more episodes and they don't find one thing. If they came out and told us they could spend the rest of the time documenting how they had proceeded on their quest. I just feel like a target for commercials; especially when they don't find anything!

That said I did watch most of one of the programs and they are interesting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or