U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 AM
 
Location: Venice Italy
1,023 posts, read 1,043,924 times
Reputation: 486

Advertisements

To Jet
The existence is pure conditioning there is no free will we have been genetically modified for this purpose we have to produce emotions so they create weak nuclear energy that moves everything ... Giordano Bruno
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Venice Italy
1,023 posts, read 1,043,924 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The belief in the paranormal/superstition is simply a human condition to rationalize, or sometimes in an attempt to influence, random and unlikely events, ironically by using an irrational explanation (ghosts, aliens, etc.). It's existed since the dawn of man and continues to exist.
It's a psychological need in humans - 1.) An attempt to give greater meaning to an event that otherwise happens randomly and without apparent purpose, 2.) An attempt to exert control over these events, or at least the belief that one can change events.
It's quite fascinating to review some of the threads on this forum to see what is attributed to the paranormal. Harmless and amusing in most cases, disturbing in some cases.

However I still think that putting religion into the scope of your "mission" is a mistake. It's much too personal and emotional and goes way beyond the hobbiest fascination with the occult or UFOs, and there is a dedicated forum for religion elsewhere in CityData.






No it is an imposition of all religious brotherhoods aimed to force ppl to believe in the existence of duality .. good and evil and to drive the state of awareness, people must believe only in everything that is said, think differently can cause great difficulty.




Re-ligio as the cause and effect of human thought, from the mystery inexplicable way, to the great wars, as you can see we are in the right forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2018, 09:27 AM
 
11,560 posts, read 17,472,300 times
Reputation: 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Actually numbers 1) and 2) of your post are basically part of the definition of religion, so saying that including religion is a bridge too far is a contradiction.
It does indeed, you are correct. But my point was that there is already a religion subforum and when you get into religion we start discussing theological concepts of the meaning of life itself. The leap of faith requires elements of devotion and spirituality. It's much more complex than a discussion in the belief of bigfoot.

It's also much more controversial, serious, and personal and will take this thread in the wrong direction in my opinion. But, it appears that's what the OP wants to direct this thread on so feel free....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2018, 11:40 AM
 
Location: colorado springs, CO
3,983 posts, read 1,763,667 times
Reputation: 13755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
The belief in the paranormal/superstition is simply a human condition to rationalize, or sometimes in an attempt to influence, random and unlikely events, ironically by using an irrational explanation (ghosts, aliens, etc.). It's existed since the dawn of man and continues to exist.
It's a psychological need in humans - 1.) An attempt to give greater meaning to an event that otherwise happens randomly and without apparent purpose, 2.) An attempt to exert control over these events, or at least the belief that one can change events.
It's quite fascinating to review some of the threads on this forum to see what is attributed to the paranormal. Harmless and amusing in most cases, disturbing in some cases.
I've posted here regarding a "random and unlikely event" that truly did occur "without apparent purpose".

My initial personal response to this event was not to rationalize; it was to deny. That lasted for about a year. Unfortunately; pathological denial happens to be one of my strengths (weaknesses?) but I just could not attain that desired nirvana with this event.

It. Would. Not. Go. Away. The memory would remain quietly in the background of my daily cognitive functions; sometimes for weeks. Sometimes only an hour. When it would rise to the foreground I would quickly try to distract & divert; sort of like slamming a cluttered closets door before the inevitable avalanche lands on your head.

I think that the reason I did this was that I already knew that I never did, or could; have had any control over what happened. It existed in complete indifference to me. It wasn't "for" me; it just "was".

It would have been much more fun to believe that it happened to me because I was "chosen" or "special". But it didn't, because I'm not.

Existing in that manner was starting to become somewhat dysfunctional. You can't just continue on, removing 100 items out of a hoarded closet, one item at a time & be buried under crap, 100 times. You have to resolve to clean out the closet & do it right the first time. That way; you only get buried under crap once.

So I decided it was "me vs closet". I faced the closet & opened the door. And it was a mess. It took a long time but the end result was that my event; was in fact, NOT paranormal, it was NOT in my head, that it WAS supported by evidence-based science & that I was NOT alone in my experience & that my new peer group included doctors, teachers, law enforcement officers & pilots, among random others.

I approached the scientific community, not in person, as I would prefer but online & was promptly laughed out of the room. The problem is; I was laughing right along with them. Not just because I appreciate the advantage that self-depreciation can afford one in communications but also because ... It's funny!

It's so improbable & ridiculous that I can't help it. I'm still sort of sad about it because it's not just their loss; it's everybody's loss but WWYD?

That's not rhetorical, BTW. What would you do?

I think the OP's mindset serves to confound rather than clarify. We don't know it all yet; that's not possible. Locking yourself in the closet can't possibly be any smarter than being buried by it, can it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2018, 01:55 PM
 
Location: Colorado
9,680 posts, read 6,242,757 times
Reputation: 17435
I also believe that there is nothing that is paranormal or supernatural but it's a matter of semantics. I'm not saying that the phenomena experienced and reported by others did not happen or is not real. I'm simply saying that I believe that everything that exists is both normal and natural. Merely because we don't have the tools to quantify and comprehend things with science (yet) doesn't mean that it's "magic" of any sort. The mystery is, beginning to end, naught but a lack of understanding on our part.

I'm sure that long ago, human beings thought that the Northern Lights were paranormal and supernatural. And so many other phenomena that now we understand from a scientific standpoint.

Merely because we cannot explain a thing, does not mean that it is ultimately inexplicable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2018, 02:06 PM
 
11,560 posts, read 17,472,300 times
Reputation: 17190
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
I've posted here regarding a "random and unlikely event" that truly did occur "without apparent purpose".

My initial personal response to this event was not to rationalize; it was to deny. That lasted for about a year. Unfortunately; pathological denial happens to be one of my strengths (weaknesses?) but I just could not attain that desired nirvana with this event.

It. Would. Not. Go. Away. The memory would remain quietly in the background of my daily cognitive functions; sometimes for weeks. Sometimes only an hour. When it would rise to the foreground I would quickly try to distract & divert; sort of like slamming a cluttered closets door before the inevitable avalanche lands on your head.

I think that the reason I did this was that I already knew that I never did, or could; have had any control over what happened. It existed in complete indifference to me. It wasn't "for" me; it just "was".

It would have been much more fun to believe that it happened to me because I was "chosen" or "special". But it didn't, because I'm not.

Existing in that manner was starting to become somewhat dysfunctional. You can't just continue on, removing 100 items out of a hoarded closet, one item at a time & be buried under crap, 100 times. You have to resolve to clean out the closet & do it right the first time. That way; you only get buried under crap once.

So I decided it was "me vs closet". I faced the closet & opened the door. And it was a mess. It took a long time but the end result was that my event; was in fact, NOT paranormal, it was NOT in my head, that it WAS supported by evidence-based science & that I was NOT alone in my experience & that my new peer group included doctors, teachers, law enforcement officers & pilots, among random others.

I approached the scientific community, not in person, as I would prefer but online & was promptly laughed out of the room. The problem is; I was laughing right along with them. Not just because I appreciate the advantage that self-depreciation can afford one in communications but also because ... It's funny!

It's so improbable & ridiculous that I can't help it. I'm still sort of sad about it because it's not just their loss; it's everybody's loss but WWYD?

That's not rhetorical, BTW. What would you do?

I think the OP's mindset serves to confound rather than clarify. We don't know it all yet; that's not possible. Locking yourself in the closet can't possibly be any smarter than being buried by it, can it?
It's not "self-depreciation", but "self-realization". It's a sobering thought for anyone to realize they are not special, particularly in this day and age of instant gratification, selfies and facebook, grade school prizes for "participation", the over-focus on political correctness so absolutely no one is offended, etc. But it shouldn't be depressing, but awakening. Yes sh*t happens, and they aren't caused by the paranormal. But also it allows one to realize there personal potential and to stop blaming or waiting for some unseen force or fate to take over.

In terms of paranormal, yes it does explain a lot and we see it here to in threads created by people claiming they have some special gift that others do not have to let them "channel" with the spirits, or going back to reincarnation where bored housewives claim to have been a reincarnated countess centuries ago - a countess? why is it never the town drunk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 04:30 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,105 posts, read 9,186,351 times
Reputation: 8981
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
To Jet
The existence is pure conditioning there is no free will we have been genetically modified for this purpose we have to produce emotions so they create weak nuclear energy that moves everything ... Giordano Bruno
I disagree. The end goal for partially furred, variously garbed, electrically powered, food cooking, water filled, gas processing meat bags inhabited by sentient nondimensional beings is to ride them until they break, and get in line to ride another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 09:23 AM
 
Location: Loudon, TN
4,878 posts, read 4,193,929 times
Reputation: 16236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
It's not "self-depreciation", but "self-realization". It's a sobering thought for anyone to realize they are not special, particularly in this day and age of instant gratification, selfies and facebook, grade school prizes for "participation", the over-focus on political correctness so absolutely no one is offended, etc. But it shouldn't be depressing, but awakening. Yes sh*t happens, and they aren't caused by the paranormal. But also it allows one to realize there personal potential and to stop blaming or waiting for some unseen force or fate to take over.

In terms of paranormal, yes it does explain a lot and we see it here to in threads created by people claiming they have some special gift that others do not have to let them "channel" with the spirits, or going back to reincarnation where bored housewives claim to have been a reincarnated countess centuries ago - a countess? why is it never the town drunk?
I chuckle myself at the idea that almost everyone who claims to know what or who they were in a past life never seems to have been a boring individual with a mundane job who died in obscurity. There are certainly far more of these people than countesses in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-14-2018, 11:14 AM
Status: "Busy being triggered by pumpkins" (set 16 hours ago)
 
Location: Suburb of Chicago
17,278 posts, read 8,506,084 times
Reputation: 18040
This is a little like being an atheist and showing up in church to share your views.

What is your objective here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2018, 06:07 AM
 
Location: 39 20' 59"N / 75 30' 53"W
15,680 posts, read 22,728,226 times
Reputation: 17392
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
This is a little like being an atheist and showing up in church to share your views.
Well said!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top