U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 07:32 PM

1,581 posts, read 502,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
It's a real thing, which can be very easily researched online.

Most CD users wouldn't have a clue.
Well, I did visit a number of web pages, took a few tests, looked at the literature. It was all very unconvincing, to be frank. Like our moderator, I think my two described events are a matter of empathy along with perhaps some very overactive poetic imagination. I could be wrong and try to keep an open mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2018, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
No, not at all. I was explaining Iím much the same way as you, and certain people send me reeling. Thatís why I donít think itís special. I think empathy is normal, and like everything thereís ranges. People who are very empathic like us, and there are people who are less empathetic like my husband. He understands peopleís emotions but they donít get to him.

Last Saturday we had to a drop in visit at our vets for an injection for our cat. While we were waiting, a woman came in. She was waiting for her friends to come. They were bringing their aged dog in to be put to sleep. They came in, we gave the very old dog some scritches and they were let into the room. The people themselves were calm, but you knew what was happening without being told. As soon as they walked and the door was shut, I started crying. My crying started the other lady checking out crying, and then the receptionist started. Hubs got up and fetched tissues for all of us. And he rubbed my back.

Thatís empathy. Itís very human. Lack of empathy is a sign of a sociopath. And they can act like they have empathy, but they donít. Which is why I donít think you can train to be an empathy.
Okay, I can understand that. My sadness when I visit a vet is when people bring their cats to be declawed, which unfortunately my vet still does. Declawing cats has been outlawed in many countries because it's not like clipping their nails, it's removing their first joint and it's cruel. It's a horrible thing to do to a cat. My cat's happiness and health is more important to me than any piece of furniture.

Lack of empathy sure is a sign of psychopathy; I had a stalker for two years who followed me around the net, denigrating me and calling me names, so I read everything I could find about the subject. Scary world we live in.

Just saying something's true doesn't make it true. Was it Carl Sagan who said that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence?

Old 06-21-2018, 06:06 AM

88 posts, read 22,712 times
Hi Karazetterberg153,

There is a difference between empathy and having extra-sensory Perception. However you seemed troubled by having high levels of empathy that can be draining!

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/b...c-people-share

Old 06-21-2018, 06:48 AM

4,933 posts, read 2,896,322 times
Maybe some reading about quantum entanglement? I have found the discoveries in quantum mechanics to be helpful in shedding light on what we call ESP.

In the Eighties it was popular for a group of acquaintances to take training from a psychic in the Twin Cities, Echo Bodine. Everybody was doing mind-reading, past lives, etc. I'm not sure what they were all paying.

It would have been fun to join in out of curiosity but I'm protective of my sensitivities and cautious of opening myself to a lot of woo for profit. Sounds like what you are saying, Kara.

I don't think it's unusual for highly sensitive people to have some confusion about whose feelings they are experiencing and I also think it's psychologically sound to develop an ability to differentiate between "mine" and "theirs." Sometimes we share feelings, too.

I like to be on steady ground about what's mine for obvious reasons. I don't take well to someone else telling me which are which. Sounds a lot like psychotherapy, doesn't it?

"I think you are feeling sad ." "What! Who, me?" Thanks for the suggestion. I'll think about it.

I think if a person is diligent in their examination of these experiences and they are not mentally impaired they can get in the habit of differentiation. If they have some psychological issues in the way there is a degree of risk for them.

It's good to be respectful of feelings and clear about their origin if we are going to depend upon them for our road map.

Last edited by Lodestar; 06-21-2018 at 07:21 AM..

Old 06-21-2018, 09:49 AM

2,557 posts, read 904,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Well, I did visit a number of web pages, took a few tests, looked at the literature. It was all very unconvincing, to be frank. Like our moderator, I think my two described events are a matter of empathy along with perhaps some very overactive poetic imagination. I could be wrong and try to keep an open mind.
If the shoe doesn't fit you, don't wear it. You may not be an empath.

There are empaths, though.

Old 06-21-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
If the shoe doesn't fit you, don't wear it. You may not be an empath.

There are empaths, though.
Well, not to be confrontational, but saying something ("There are empaths") doesn't make it true. Some evidence would be nice.

I took three of the tests online, offered by different companies; one said I was not, one said I probably was and one said I definitely was.

Old 06-21-2018, 11:06 AM

2,105 posts, read 1,171,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocpaul20 View Post
Although I have no experience of this kind of thing, here are my thoughts on it for what they are worth.

I think you are going to have to learn to close yourself off from these raw feelings and only open them when you need/want to. Otherwise it will probably send you doo-lally.

Now... if that needs you to go on a course to learn how to do that, then just pick a good one run by another person who can do pretty much the same as you. I am sure if you do some investigation you will be able to determine who those people are. Possibly the best ones do not have to advertise much or do not 'shout' about their abilities and courses the loudest?
Ive been very sensitive (same thing as empath) my entire life

after 49 years, I can not close or open turn on or off...it either hits me or not
I have had it come on gradually...and ive had it slam me like a train

Old 06-21-2018, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky2balive View Post
Ive been very sensitive (same thing as empath) my entire life

after 49 years, I can not close or open turn on or off...it either hits me or not
I have had it come on gradually...and ive had it slam me like a train

I like that you call it being very sensitive. People have always told me, you're too sensitive. My response is, well maybe, or maybe you're too insensitive.

Old 06-21-2018, 12:39 PM

25,598 posts, read 49,197,279 times
All my life I have had strange coincidences...

One is that out of the blue I think about someone... maybe someone I have not seen since High School and sure enough I get a call, or bump into them or learn they passed away at the same time I was thinking of them... a lot more of the latter new as many of my friends are much older than I am.

Other strange things is going home a way I never do... not even sure why I decided to take the long the way home and find I am the first on the scene of a traffic accident or even a house with smoke billowing out...

The strangest was as a property manager who had several elderly widowed tenants... still remember being home and thinking I need to check on one of the properties... just out of the blue... I arrive and see 3 days worth of a mail and the newspapers pile on the porch... knock... and nothing... but I hear help very faintly... so faintly that I think I am imagining it... decide to use my master key to open the door to listen... my tenant had fallen in the tub and had been there 3 days unable to get up... she said I was her angle and she was praying I would come.

No idea how one explains things like this and no way I can predict...

Another one that has happened twice... is listening to a music CD in the car and getting out and the same song is playing at the same point where I am going...

Old 06-21-2018, 01:05 PM

3,916 posts, read 1,322,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
No, not at all. I was explaining Iím much the same way as you, and certain people send me reeling. Thatís why I donít think itís special. I think empathy is normal, and like everything thereís ranges. People who are very empathic like us, and there are people who are less empathetic like my husband. He understands peopleís emotions but they donít get to him.

Last Saturday we had to a drop in visit at our vets for an injection for our cat. While we were waiting, a woman came in. She was waiting for her friends to come. They were bringing their aged dog in to be put to sleep. They came in, we gave the very old dog some scritches and they were let into the room. The people themselves were calm, but you knew what was happening without being told. As soon as they walked and the door was shut, I started crying. My crying started the other lady checking out crying, and then the receptionist started. Hubs got up and fetched tissues for all of us. And he rubbed my back.

Thatís empathy. Itís very human. Lack of empathy is a sign of a sociopath. And they can act like they have empathy, but they donít. Which is why I donít think you can train to be an empathy.

Aw! Gotta say...got MY eyes stinging a little...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal