U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 11:47 AM

11,143 posts, read 18,910,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
woo?
Term for supernatural. Shortened from woo-woo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2018, 12:48 PM

3,558 posts, read 1,520,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
For what it's worth, at the moment in time that AA11 slammed into us, hundreds of people on the plane and on the floors 500 feet above me died. Although my immediate conscious thought was that I might be facing the moment of my death and that I needed to run, there remains a sensation in my psyche that something opened up, a portal through which those souls went. It has never really closed. I have one foot on the other side.
I’m really glad you posted this. I thought so.

I remember a couple of years ago on the thread about children born on or around 9/11. One of the twins; the one who had said “Mommy I died in the fire” ... sat down one night & sketched a picture of the “girl in the new pink dress” & since that year, it hasn’t been brought up again.

But I’m really glad you mentioned that opening. That happened to me on a much smaller scale 24 years ago.

Yesterday, actually. 24 years ago; yesterday. It opened up for just one little girl but I tried to follow her. I stepped through, turned & ran but then the sights & sounds started coming back & a lady had me by the shoulders, screaming at me.

But I always felt fragmented. Not whole. About 15 years later an older man sitting outside a Walgreens watched me crossing through a parking lot & waved me over to him. He said: “You do that well ... Walking with each foot in a different world isn’t something most can do; you know”.

Old 06-22-2018, 12:58 PM

4,470 posts, read 3,879,995 times
I believe intuition is something left over from the more primal era of human development. Sort of like the fight or flight hormones from the era of cave bears and saber toothed tigers. It's a sense of danger, or a momentary pre-cognition of some imminent event, sort of like a spidey-sense. Perhaps it's tiny visual or audio clues that we are picking up that we are not even aware we are noticing. I think some people are more "tapped into" their intuition than others, just as some are more are keenly aware of their surroundings, or have a higher level of ability to read when someone is lying to them. Definitely some people are more empathetic to the feelings of others, but whether they can truly feel emotions of others over distance, especially the emotions of the deceased, I'm not as sure. I know that I have had some very unusual experiences prior to the death of family members that have left me questioning.

Old 06-22-2018, 01:33 PM

1,209 posts, read 373,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I believe intuition is something left over from the more primal era of human development. Sort of like the fight or flight hormones from the era of cave bears and saber toothed tigers. It's a sense of danger, or a momentary pre-cognition of some imminent event, sort of like a spidey-sense. Perhaps it's tiny visual or audio clues that we are picking up that we are not even aware we are noticing. I think some people are more "tapped into" their intuition than others, just as some are more are keenly aware of their surroundings, or have a higher level of ability to read when someone is lying to them. Definitely some people are more empathetic to the feelings of others, but whether they can truly feel emotions of others over distance, especially the emotions of the deceased, I'm not as sure. I know that I have had some very unusual experiences prior to the death of family members that have left me questioning.
Yeah, one never knows. The last time I saw my paternal grandmother I thought, she will die and I will never see her again. And that's exactly what happened. It might have been the way her body turned, just as we were driving off (though I never thought about that until this moment). Maternal grandmother was better off, more affectionate, fed us better. So once I referred to her as my "real" grandmother. I'm sure it hurt the other grandmother's feelings. I regretted it the moment I said it, and since. I think I was five or six, but still, what a perfectly awful thing to say.

I think I might be a smidge more sensitive than the norm, and simply have to block and ignore folks whose remarks have a negative effect on my spirit; five, in total, friends on here today alone. I will miss them, but I feel the pain of animals, too, and when people are just having fun with products stolen from tortured and murdered bodies, it freaks me out. And they want to do what they want to do, regardless of the consequences to themselves, the ecology or any ethical concerns; I can't pretend to be friends with folks who are that shallow and selfish.

I started my journey this time on CD with questions about reincarnation; I met someone much younger than me and felt certain I knew them "before." And this from a skeptic. But just maybe the universe is odd beyond our current understanding. My cousin (for example), when he was a little boy, told my aunt that "when he was a man" he drove a truck such as one they saw on the road. Maybe that means nothing.

There is, however, so much pain in our existence, humans and animals. How can you ignore that and go on your merry way? Not always easy.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 06-22-2018 at 02:07 PM..

Old 06-22-2018, 04:35 PM

1,321 posts, read 519,980 times
Quote:
It's probably just that I have a very active imagination, have read too much and am overly dramatic, and most importantly, these events are not about me and should not be. But when 9/11 occurred I was in Texas and as those buildings fell, I somehow connected with the people in them, and a wave of human feelings of fear, terror, souls leaving bodies, sort of washed over me that evening. It was like all of that traveled from its origin and came in a wave across the country. I could feel the stories of the buildings falling. And today, I feel the feelings of those immigrant children down south of here, separated from their parents. I'm overwhelmed with tears. It's the strangest experience.

I wonder if this business of being an empath is genuine or just another internet scam. Certainly there are a lot of web sites about it, but many of those sites sell products, books and courses and such.

Do my experiences, described above, seem odd or unusual?
Coincidence. There is no telepathy of any sort. There never has been. Unless they come up with a way to implant some sort of radio transceiver in the human brain, there never will be. And even then it would only work with someone similarly equipped.

Old 06-22-2018, 05:22 PM

48,637 posts, read 48,328,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yeah. I don't believe intuition is woo. To be more clear, when people try to sell you help with YOUR intuition then you have to watch out for woo. And your pocketbook.
Ha, that is true. As I recall, and as with most such things, I found a minor portion of the book informative, applicable, and useful, and the rest was self-indulgent fluff.

Old 06-22-2018, 06:48 PM

10,221 posts, read 10,882,931 times
I'm old enough to remember before empathy was a superpower.

Old 06-22-2018, 07:54 PM

15,363 posts, read 22,139,155 times
Quote:
Well, not to be confrontational,

but saying something ("There are empaths") doesn't make it true.

Some evidence would be nice.

On the the other hand, it doesnt mean it's no true.
What would you consider evidence ?

Old 06-22-2018, 08:19 PM

1,209 posts, read 373,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
What would you consider evidence ?
Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
synonyms: proof · confirmation · verification · substantiation · corroboration · affirmation · authentication · attestation · documentation · support for · backing for · reinforcement for · grounds for

Anything but just stating that it's true, which is a logical fallacy. "It's true because it's true."
There is a list here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Just to say something's true doesn't make it true, however much we might wish it were. It is an opinion, correct to say, I guess, but not a convincing one.

Evidence for someone being an empath would start with a full and clear definition of what that means, which I did not see anywhere (not to suggest it doesn't exist) and then controlled studies of people who self-identify as empaths. You can see where this is leading. All kinds of world-renowned woo-wooers of various stripes have been studied and all have been shown to be frauds and charlatans, including ones who are widely trusted and have huge followings.

If I am wrong about this (perfectly possible), it would be nice to hear about it.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:25 PM

4,617 posts, read 2,722,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Coincidence. There is no telepathy of any sort. There never has been. Unless they come up with a way to implant some sort of radio transceiver in the human brain, there never will be. And even then it would only work with someone similarly equipped.
You may want to rethink your certainty about that, Pyewackette. And you with the witch's familiar name no less!

I believe it's only a matter of time 'til science makes believers of us all.

Here's a recent physics experiment which seems to have proved that atoms are capable of transmitting information across a distance:

https://physicsworld.com/a/atoms-tel...long-distance/

Best to stay tuned for further info?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal