U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 08:32 PM

15,368 posts, read 22,147,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid.
synonyms: proof ∑ confirmation ∑ verification ∑ substantiation ∑ corroboration ∑ affirmation ∑ authentication ∑ attestation ∑ documentation ∑ support for ∑ backing for ∑ reinforcement for ∑ grounds for

Anything but just stating that it's true, which is a logical fallacy. "It's true because it's true."
There is a list here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fallacies

Just to say something's true doesn't make it true, however much we might wish it were. It is an opinion, correct to say, I guess, but not a convincing one.

Evidence for someone being an empath would start with a full and clear definition of what that means, which I did not see anywhere (not to suggest it doesn't exist) and then controlled studies of people who self-identify as empaths.

Have you done research?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

1,216 posts, read 378,267 times
I would add that in the '60's, Russian scientists did controlled studies of psychic phenomena in hopes of finding military applications. They did come up with some weird things (if the books I read so many years ago were even accurate).

For example, this was cruel, but they wired a mother rabbit up with sensors, put her in a lab near the sea shore, and put her babies on a ship at sea near the lab. Whenever they killed one of the babies she had a physiological reaction. Obviously, if this is true, it might suggest some sort of paranormal connection between a mother and child.

9,795 posts, read 6,931,668 times
Being empathic isn't some psychic phenom. We're all wired differently. Why the skepticism?

Old 06-22-2018, 08:34 PM

1,216 posts, read 378,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Have you done research?
No, I'm not a scientist or a researcher, or even a writer on the subject.

Old 06-22-2018, 08:37 PM

15,368 posts, read 22,147,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post

All kinds of world-renowned woo-wooers of various stripes have been studied and all have been shown to be frauds and charlatans, including ones who are widely trusted and have huge followings.

If I am wrong about this (perfectly possible), it would be nice to hear about it.
All?

Old 06-22-2018, 11:03 PM

21,667 posts, read 20,701,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Iím not sure what you felt wasnít completely normal. I donít think itís a gift. I was massively upset and frightened on Sept 11, I donít know anyone who wasnít.

I physically canít be around crazy people. Not talking about normal mentally ill, Iím talking about unhinged crazy people. People like that make my heart pound and race, and I get very light headed. What I think happens is my flight or fight response kicks into overdrive and I get panicky. There was a guy on Howard Stern named Elliot Offen. Had to turn it off when he showed up.

Had a bank client that would do it to me. Talked it over with my manager and she said when ever she walks in, you go on break. It was so bad with her, it would blow my work the rest of the day.

So I have a hard time seeing this as a gift or something to be developed. Why would I want to make myself crazier?
I wasn't. I decided to stay at home and clean. I vacuumed, mopped, scrubbed, dusted, and washed clothing. I didn't feel a thing. I still don't know why that happened. I guess I turned off and tuned out for a while.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:19 PM

21,667 posts, read 20,701,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
All?
I have a really bad feeling about this. I'm not sure why.

Old 06-23-2018, 12:26 AM

11,147 posts, read 18,918,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I wasn't. I decided to stay at home and clean. I vacuumed, mopped, scrubbed, dusted, and washed clothing. I didn't feel a thing. I still don't know why that happened. I guess I turned off and tuned out for a while.
Thatís easy. You couldnít control what happened ďout thereĒ but you could control your personal space. Iíve done that.

Old 06-23-2018, 05:56 AM

4,617 posts, read 2,725,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post

/Perhaps it's tiny visual or audio clues that we are picking up that we are not even aware we are noticing. I think some people are more "tapped into" their intuition than others, just as some are more are keenly aware of their surroundings, or have a higher level of ability to read when someone is lying to them./
I was introduced to this concept in the early Eighties. Then the cues were called "micro-momentary expressions." Now I see they call them simply "microexpressions."

https://www.humintell.com/microexpressions-2/

An example I've heard people give is when they are telling someone their troubles and for a split second get that sense that the listener is enjoying the tale of woe. Something flickers on their face and gives them away.

Some people don't seem to have an ability to read others' facial expressions and others are very observant.

I can think of another - that sense you get when you walk into a room and it feels like a conversation was abruptly discontinued. There's a stilted silence and awkward posture that indicates people didn't want to be overheard.

Those two are so obvious I would think all but autistic people would recognize them. But why wouldn't these sorts of things be experienced on a deeper cellular level that some people are capable of sensing? Particularly in cases where genetic material is shared between individuals.

Last edited by Lodestar; 06-23-2018 at 06:25 AM..

Old 06-23-2018, 06:26 AM

4,472 posts, read 3,885,271 times
I had the strange example of some sort of communication, at times, with my ex-husband. We used to play Trivial Pursuit all the time. I loved the game because I have a very good memory for trivia and I read a lot. So while we were playing, just the two of us, I noticed that sometimes I wouldn't know the answer, and then when my husband would flip over the card and read it to himself silently, I suddenly knew the answer. I know it's entirely possible that I simply recalled it with a little more time to think, but it happened over and over. We made a new rule that in order for me not to "cheat" he couldn't look at the answer until after I'd answered, or guessed, or said I didn't know. I couldn't really "do it on command", but it happened so often that it didn't seem like coincidence. People often accused us of cheating at Charades and Pictionary too. I just could seem to understand everything he was trying to communicate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal