U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 12:40 PM

15,368 posts, read 22,147,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I have a really bad feeling about this. I'm not sure why.
Not to worry...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2018, 12:48 PM

3,278 posts, read 6,482,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Coincidence. There is no telepathy of any sort. There never has been. Unless they come up with a way to implant some sort of radio transceiver in the human brain, there never will be. And even then it would only work with someone similarly equipped.
Actually there has been extensive telepathy testing and experimentation over the decades. The Russians in particular have played on this field a lot.

Old 06-23-2018, 02:29 PM

227 posts, read 268,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
It's probably just that I have a very active imagination, have read too much and am overly dramatic, and most importantly, these events are not about me and should not be. But when 9/11 occurred I was in Texas and as those buildings fell, I somehow connected with the people in them, and a wave of human feelings of fear, terror, souls leaving bodies, sort of washed over me that evening. It was like all of that traveled from its origin and came in a wave across the country. I could feel the stories of the buildings falling. And today, I feel the feelings of those immigrant children down south of here, separated from their parents. I'm overwhelmed with tears. It's the strangest experience.

I wonder if this business of being an empath is genuine or just another internet scam. Certainly there are a lot of web sites about it, but many of those sites sell products, books and courses and such.

Do my experiences, described above, seem odd or unusual?

KaraZetterberg153:
It's called EMPATHY & you are a normal, healthy person for having it.
You want those feelings, it's what makes you a good human being.
It helps center your 'moral compass'
If you lacked empathy, you'd be a sociopath, plain & simple.

The greater issue for you seems to be that some of the flood of these feelings is causing you distress, at least enough to question 'if' you're odd or unusual.

Your distress is the issue, not your empathy.

Sometimes, when seeing others suffer, our empathy feels overwhelming. This often occurs when we feel powerless to help in a situation that we know is wrong/horrible/painful to others. It is overwhelming because we cannot find a solution to make the suffering stop.

It is this very overwhelming feeling that motivates people to HELP OTHERS in times of need, if they are capable of helping, or, if you keep being rendered powerless to helping, you will feel paralyzed by the feelings, if it happens too much, you can become apathetic.

Figure out what you can do to help-a little help goes a long way.

Those websites/books you mention, they're questionable
Mostly because it makes a normal human reaction sound like it is special or magical.
Fact is, it is not.
Empathy should be expected from others, not seen as a surprise or an extraordinary feat.
People are getting more & more disconnected, they treat each other as less than human too often.

Empathy is not a super power, it's not magical in & of itself.
Empathy can, however, motivate regular people to do 'super' & 'extraordinary' things.
When enough people work together for a cause, because of empathy, it does feel magical though.
That feeling, it's a collective awakening, because it gives power back & enacts change.
It allows you to see the possibilities clearly.
That's what gives us hope & the strength to move on.
That's the real magic.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:53 PM

942 posts, read 483,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Do my experiences, described above, seem odd or unusual?
Not a bit.

There might be a university near you that does studies on empathy and other phenomena. Stanford's research institute has been continuously looking at these things for a very long time. They even pay their participants, says their website.

Old 06-23-2018, 03:55 PM

54,192 posts, read 70,996,766 times
it's not empath it's... codependent

Old 06-23-2018, 06:31 PM

1,166 posts, read 523,895 times
You feel the truth of human nature unlike what we are told we are. Sinners, horrible, evil, warring, despicable etc.
That is not true human nature. Empathy is a virtue. I cried too on 911 and I don't even live in your country. When princess Diana died I cried for two days. And now the children. My emotion is anger.

Old 06-23-2018, 06:37 PM

1,216 posts, read 378,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
it's not empath it's... codependent
I don't see the connection. Codependent with whom? Care to elaborate?

Old 06-23-2018, 08:06 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,181,261 times
Just tonight, a friend told me he'd read, "We're all spiritual beings living in a human world." Been thinking about this since he told me.

Me? I believe there are empaths -- some to a greater degree than others. I had a friend call me from her travels in South America right after I learned my mother had died. She told me she had a strong feeling I was hurt and in need of support. I do believe she is a true empath. Isn't this also known as telepathy?

Then there are others who might be termed "highly sensitive people." A book was written on this topic. I fit that category, and can't take crowd energy or being around negative people who are energy drainers, but don't believe I'm a true empath -- just highly sensitive to noises, sounds, smells, and peoples' energy -- both negative and positive.

I think there are different pathways some are able to travel...

Old 06-23-2018, 09:07 PM

48,669 posts, read 48,361,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I wasn't. I decided to stay at home and clean. I vacuumed, mopped, scrubbed, dusted, and washed clothing. I didn't feel a thing. I still don't know why that happened. I guess I turned off and tuned out for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Thatís easy. You couldnít control what happened ďout thereĒ but you could control your personal space. Iíve done that.
That is interesting and probably accurate.

We became very detached. I had been walking north in the city for hours when I ran into a friend from 82 in midtown. Both of us alone, on 8th Avenue, and we ran each other, as she said later, "like a slow-motion perfume commercial" and yelled "you're alive!" Then we got a six-pack of Sam Adams and went to the river, got a boat across to the train, and her ex-husband picked us up and took us to her house to wait for her current husband to pick us up.

We were drinking mugs of Scotch with ice and making jokes and the alcohol wasn't even having any effect, and I remember her ex's BIL looking at us very strangely and saying, "You two don't even know what just happened to you."

It was probably a defense because our brains couldn't accept the enormity of all we had seen.

Old 06-24-2018, 08:07 AM

1,216 posts, read 378,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Just tonight, a friend told me he'd read, "We're all spiritual beings living in a human world." Been thinking about this since he told me.

Me? I believe there are empaths -- some to a greater degree than others. I had a friend call me from her travels in South America right after I learned my mother had died. She told me she had a strong feeling I was hurt and in need of support. I do believe she is a true empath. Isn't this also known as telepathy?

Then there are others who might be termed "highly sensitive people." A book was written on this topic. I fit that category, and can't take crowd energy or being around negative people who are energy drainers, but don't believe I'm a true empath -- just highly sensitive to noises, sounds, smells, and peoples' energy -- both negative and positive.

I think there are different pathways some are able to travel...
That book would be interesting, but when I plugged "highly sensitive people" into the search function on Amazon, a half dozen authors have written books that might be the one.

I'm skeptical by nature, but I think the two events I referenced are more than empathy. I'm particularly skeptical about the existence of empaths. However, I think it might be more like Jung describes; islands in the ocean are viewed from the top, but they are all connected at the level of the ocean floor. So there may be something connecting all life in somewhat the same fashion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal