U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 09:22 AM

5,106 posts, read 9,331,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
That book would be interesting, but when I plugged "highly sensitive people" into the search function on Amazon, a half dozen authors have written books that might be the one.

I'm skeptical by nature, but I think the two events I referenced are more than empathy. I'm particularly skeptical about the existence of empaths. However, I think it might be more like Jung describes; islands in the ocean are viewed from the top, but they are all connected at the level of the ocean floor. So there may be something connecting all life in somewhat the same fashion.
I agree!

The book I read and enjoyed was the book by Elaine W. Aron, Ph.D. The one about Empaths sounds interesting, too...didn't know there were so many!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2018, 11:59 AM

1,580 posts, read 502,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I agree!

The book I read and enjoyed was the book by Elaine W. Aron, Ph.D. The one about Empaths sounds interesting, too...didn't know there were so many!

Looks like she has four books:

https://www.amazon.com/default/e/B00...KindleDbs=true

I'm sure it's a useful book. Some of these academics do really well with this sort of stuff. I have four books on Amazon, too, three of them in my academic area (string pedagogy). There is another author on here that has a bunch. Probably there are others.

It looks like her recommendations include psychothrophic medications. That's kind of scary, really. Drugs to help people deal with being intensely sensitive.

Last edited by KaraZetterberg153; 06-24-2018 at 12:11 PM..

Old 06-24-2018, 01:14 PM

5,106 posts, read 9,331,169 times
[quote=KaraZetterberg153;52293640]Looks like she has four books:

I'm sure it's a useful book. Some of these academics do really well with this sort of stuff. I have four books on Amazon, too, three of them in my academic area (string pedagogy). There is another author on here that has a bunch. Probably there are others.

No way! I like being highly sensitive, actually. It keeps me from watching violent movies and away from draining, toxic people and crowds. I've learned to protect myself. Being in nature, yoga, meditation soothe me better than any drugs or meds...

Old 06-24-2018, 01:52 PM

1,580 posts, read 502,649 times
[quote=LittleDolphin;52294378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraZetterberg153 View Post
Looks like she has four books:

No way! I like being highly sensitive, actually. It keeps me from watching violent movies and away from draining, toxic people and crowds. I've learned to protect myself. Being in nature, yoga, meditation soothe me better than any drugs or meds...
I can't watch violent movies or tv either. And don't do crowds, unless I have a gig and have to play. Nowadays the venues are huge, two or three thousand people but I ignore them and try not to think about it.

I went to see "The Exorcist," by myself, many years ago; I thought I should find out what my students were talking about. Big mistake. Couldn't sit through it all the way, had to sleep with the lights on and my dog in the room for a year. "The Birds" had a similar effect.

I agree that yoga and meditation are superior to pharmaceuticals in every way.

Old 06-24-2018, 01:53 PM

2,557 posts, read 904,457 times
Empaths and Highly Sensitive People are two different things.
I heard Dr. Aron speak on the subject in graduate school.

Empaths are "real" - reading this thread is surreal - the skepticism is bizarre.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:32 PM

56 posts, read 17,622 times
I know the word, "empathy", but not "emapth" (used as a noun). I can relate personal experiences to you that I describe as ESP, or a sixth sense. You can call them what you will, but I think some of us are more aware of our 'connectedness' than others.

My mom definitely had it. She told me that she was out shopping for her trousseau with her mom when suddenly she started to cry because she 'knew' someone was dying. It turned out that her future father-in-law (whom she'd only spoken to once on a long distance call) was having a massive heart attack and died at that time.

When my brother was in the army, he sometimes got passes to go home, but never could give advance warnings for security reasons. Mom would start cooking his favorite foods and we'd ask her why. "Your brother is coming home today," she'd reply. She was right--every time.

Once while nursing my infant son at 2:00 AM, I was watching a comedy on TV. I suddenly was aware of the presence of my (long-passed) grandma in the room with me. She looked at my son and me for maybe half a minute, smiled, and never appeared again.

I'm a Reiki practitioner. When I give Reiki I'm able to 'connect' with some of those on whom I'm working. We are not supposed to ask any questions other than if the person wants light touch or none at all. But early on, I had such powerful images in my mind, I broke that rule three times. The first time, I started to cry because I sensed death near the young man who was receiving Reiki from me. I knew the name of the person who was ill, too. Afterwards, I learned it was his aunt (whom he was very close to). The second time was when I was working on a woman in her 20s. I had a strong image of her underwater in an orange two-piece suit. It turned out she scuba dives and wears that orange two-piece suit. The third time, I gave Reiki to a man who was new to our group. I 'saw' him out west with cacti, rocks, and sand. He was from Arizona and lived in that type of area. I never asked anyone again because I now accept that I am able to sense what many others can't. I understand it's a gift and don't speak of it.

When one of my kids was in college he was greatly troubled. He was 1,000 miles away, but yet, I knew. He wouldn't answer the phone, so I left him a message that if I didn't hear from him in an hour I would call the campus police because he must he dead. He called back immediately, said hello, and I knew from the sound of his voice that I was right. My husband and I flew up and took care of him.

My nephew was in the army and was home on a pass. I had a dream that he was going to be in harm's way. Not wanting to be dramatic, I tried to ignore it. It was so strong that, I told him nonetheless. I asked him to be very vigilant. And yes, what I dreamed, happened. Thankfully, he came out of it alive.

I know when someone is going to call me. Whether they live on another continent or nearby, if I'm continually thinking about this person, I get a call.

At first, when I shared all this with my husband, he thought I was nuts. So, I started keeping a journal and shared it with him. Now when I tell him about these thoughts, he's quiet, waiting for that call to come or, for me to verify by calling the person in need.

I don't tell other people about this 'connectedness'. I don't use it to be the center of attention. I'm sharing my experiences with you so that you can understand that you're not alone. You're not weird. You're just on a different wave length than most people.

You do need to learn how to protect yourself. I suggest that you explore Reiki if you want to learn more about helping others, yet shielding yourself from their pain.

Old 06-25-2018, 08:24 PM

255 posts, read 279,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
I can think of another - that sense you get when you walk into a room and it feels like a conversation was abruptly discontinued. There's a stilted silence and awkward posture that indicates people didn't want to be overheard.

Those two are so obvious I would think all but autistic people would recognize them. But why wouldn't these sorts of things be experienced on a deeper cellular level that some people are capable of sensing? Particularly in cases where genetic material is shared between individuals.

Heads up Lodestar:
Speaking for several autistic, or 'on the spectrum, children I have worked with, or known, or currently know, as adults and children, your understanding of autism is completely wrong.
They miss nothing. Not one thing.
That's the issue. They cannot express it because it feels too intense, too overwhelming, so they withdraw. They are overly empathetic, hypersensitive. hyperaware of every single thing.

They read your facial expressions, your tone, your body language, they anticipate your reactions. it's just that everything is so intense they cannot cope & develop coping mechanisms that appear disconnected, but that's what they gotta do in an attempt to calm the hypersensitivity.

Matter of fact, it's fairly similar to much of the feelings being debated in this thread, only people on the spectrum cannot express it.
-you may want to explore the research & theories of Henry & Kamila Markram, of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne. Here is a properly cited link
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3010743/

If you are close to a person with autism, they see you, read you, you can't fake a mood around them either, there's no 'putting on a face' LOL they know what you're feeling & they feel it too fast, too much & too intensely. I've found times where I may've had a bad day & was trying to trudge through, but I had to stop, because despite putting on a face & moving forward as if nothng was bothering me, it affected those around me intensely.
It became very clear to me, Faking how I felt was lying to the kids & they become distrustling quickly if they sense something is 'off'. So I owned it out loud. My friend thought I was crazy for doing it.
I explained I was sad, why I was sad, & how even though I was sad, I would take it one small step at a time & move forward, & that it would be OK over time, but that sometimes it's ok to just feel the sadness so that I could heal, & feel better. A 4 yr old boy walked right up to me as I sit there explaining. He made perfect eye contact and kissed me on my cheek, walked back to where he was facing the wall doing his repetitive movements & went on about the movements. It was a moment outside of time, a connection straight between our souls. From that day forward, he would make eye contact with me, regularly, even if only for a second, but that was all we needed-that's how we checked on each other. It had to be THAT QUICK, and on his terms.
It was him who taught me the true meaning of "The eyes are the windows of the soul".

Old 06-26-2018, 08:40 AM

1,030 posts, read 528,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catia View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
I can think of another - that sense you get when you walk into a room and it feels like a conversation was abruptly discontinued. There's a stilted silence and awkward posture that indicates people didn't want to be overheard.

Those two are so obvious I would think all but autistic people would recognize them. But why wouldn't these sorts of things be experienced on a deeper cellular level that some people are capable of sensing? Particularly in cases where genetic material is shared between individuals.

Heads up Lodestar:
Speaking for several autistic, or 'on the spectrum, children I have worked with, or known, or currently know, as adults and children, your understanding of autism is completely wrong.
They miss nothing. Not one thing.
That's the issue. They cannot express it because it feels too intense, too overwhelming, so they withdraw. They are overly empathetic, hypersensitive. hyperaware of every single thing.

They read your facial expressions, your tone, your body language, they anticipate your reactions. it's just that everything is so intense they cannot cope & develop coping mechanisms that appear disconnected, but that's what they gotta do in an attempt to calm the hypersensitivity.

Matter of fact, it's fairly similar to much of the feelings being debated in this thread, only people on the spectrum cannot express it.
-you may want to explore the research & theories of Henry & Kamila Markram, of the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne. Here is a properly cited link
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3010743/

If you are close to a person with autism, they see you, read you, you can't fake a mood around them either, there's no 'putting on a face' LOL they know what you're feeling & they feel it too fast, too much & too intensely. I've found times where I may've had a bad day & was trying to trudge through, but I had to stop, because despite putting on a face & moving forward as if nothng was bothering me, it affected those around me intensely.
It became very clear to me, Faking how I felt was lying to the kids & they become distrustling quickly if they sense something is 'off'. So I owned it out loud. My friend thought I was crazy for doing it.
I explained I was sad, why I was sad, & how even though I was sad, I would take it one small step at a time & move forward, & that it would be OK over time, but that sometimes it's ok to just feel the sadness so that I could heal, & feel better. A 4 yr old boy walked right up to me as I sit there explaining. He made perfect eye contact and kissed me on my cheek, walked back to where he was facing the wall doing his repetitive movements & went on about the movements. It was a moment outside of time, a connection straight between our souls. From that day forward, he would make eye contact with me, regularly, even if only for a second, but that was all we needed-that's how we checked on each other. It had to be THAT QUICK, and on his terms.
It was him who taught me the true meaning of "The eyes are the windows of the soul".
Yes. Excellent post. On a few rare occasions I've worked with two different teens at two different times and I don't think they had ever met. Each is far along the spectrum. I'm familiar with the very brief but very insightful contact they can make if they so choose. For me it was once only from each of them but that communication is something I've never forgotten. Thanks for highlighting this.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:52 PM

255 posts, read 279,578 times
I don't do horror movies either, ya, the exorcist really messed me up too.
As a child, I couldn't tolerate things like the 3 stooges because they were always hurting each other & it angered/frustrated/disturbed me that others thought that was funny.

Crowds depend. A busy walmart I avoid like the plague, feels hostile, a huge concert or similar venue doesn't feel as forboding, it's the 'vibe' LOL

On the interconnectedness of island to the ocean floor, that statement brought to mind the movie Avatar. I loved that movie.

If you asked my xbf, who has now known me 20+ yrs, he'd tell you he is convinced I have some type of ability to know things ahead, sense people, events, etc, I have always just told him he just doesn't pay attention to the details.

Some people, & this is just my opinion, I believe they just do not want to see, or feel reality as it is. That's my opinion. People chose not to be aware, be it good/bad, it's their 'coping mechanism'. Life is hard & people would rather not know, or be in denial, it's easier for them to be taken by surprise, than to have the responsibility of awareness...because if you are aware, you have the ability to make a decision to act, or not, & then, you are responsible for your actions, it gets complicated, & most people just want the 'easy button'.

And add to that some may be better at sensing patterns in behaviors, mannerisms, events, just like some people are better at math, or are faster readers.

I've personally had so many instances in my life where I knew ahead, felt something, & I believe it's just an awareness we all have, some are just paying more attention & some filter it out. I think everyone is capable of it.

I've also had plenty of experiences with people who have died, and since the dawn of time, people HAVE experienced these same things, across every culture, there is so much written about it, but since science or technology can't explain it, it gets questioned, but I think most of us have experienced at least a few things we call 'supernatural', & people always have, whole religions have been created, so surely it is a part of being human.

And then there's the 'for profit' people who pretend to harness special powers & exploit others weaknesses for $$, under the guise of 'helping' be it in a time of need, or to contact a past family member, or to tell the future.
That's also been going on since the dawn of time.

Not too long ago, people were burned at the stake, out of fear that they just might have such a power.

These questions are not new, but we still don't have concrete answers, we just have new names & it's been 'rebranded'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal