U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 06:32 PM

6,715 posts, read 12,697,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
Agreed. Not to mention, James Randi still has his million dollar challenge for anybody who can demonstrate anything that is supernatural. Sylvia Browne said she would take it, but never did. Same with others. By the way, have you ever watched Penn and Teller's Bull@$#%? ESP and talking to the dead have been covered on numerous episodes.
Yep! Seen it all. Also read Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer. He pretty much exploits the psychics for what they are although he feels that many of them think they truly do have some sort of "paranormal" connection and aren't out to blatantly rip people off.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,579,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
Yep! Seen it all. Also read Why People Believe Weird Things by Michael Shermer. He pretty much exploits the psychics for what they are although he feels that many of them think they truly do have some sort of "paranormal" connection and aren't out to blatantly rip people off.
Within a few minutes, with my knowledge in psychology and magic, I could convince you I'm a psychic, lol. It isn't hard at all. I remember this episode of Criss Angel: Mindfreak that talked about scams that are made using the trickery magicians and illusionists use. He took a deck of tarot cards and opened up a stand. What people didn't know is that the top card had nothing but a piece of paper from a horoscope. He read the same horoscope to every customer, and they all said he was 100% accurate in describing them. All the horoscope did was describe the way most humans act. Happy at some times. Sad at other times. Finding many people hard to trust. Human things, not individual things.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Within a few minutes, with my knowledge in psychology and magic, I could convince you I'm a psychic, lol. It isn't hard at all. I remember this episode of Criss Angel: Mindfreak that talked about scams that are made using the trickery magicians and illusionists use. He took a deck of tarot cards and opened up a stand. What people didn't know is that the top card had nothing but a piece of paper from a horoscope. He read the same horoscope to every customer, and they all said he was 100% accurate in describing them. All the horoscope did was describe the way most humans act. Happy at some times. Sad at other times. Finding many people hard to trust. Human things, not individual things.
Haha! Yeah I saw that show too! It was pretty funny seeing the people's reactions at the end when they realized they'd been scammed.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Haha! Yeah I saw that show too! It was pretty funny seeing the people's reactions at the end when they realized they'd been scammed.
You wouldn't happen to be a magic fan like me, would you?

Old 03-29-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
You wouldn't happen to be a magic fan like me, would you?
I appreciate a good trick just like anyone. I do enjoy the more "unorthodox" magicians like David Blaine and Kriss Angel because they offer something a little different than your typical "saw the woman in half" routine. But, I couldn't tell you the first thing about how to perform a magic trick.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:15 PM

Quote:
I appreciate a good trick just like anyone. I do enjoy the more "unorthodox" magicians like David Blaine and Kriss Angel because they offer something a little different than your typical "saw the woman in half" routine. But, I couldn't tell you the first thing about how to perform a magic trick.
I can't stand David Blaine, lol. All he does is recycle tricks that magicians did centuries ago before they had complex things like sawing women in half. Back then, they did them on stage. He just brings them to the streets. I like Criss Angel though.

The thing is, the magic industry is like the music industry. The people who are appealing to the people instead of focusing more on being the best at what they do get all the fame. Anything that gets commercialized will get watered down without a doubt. 90% of the magic, rock & roll, hip-hop, etc, you see on TV these days can't compare to the people doing the same things underground, but choose talent over looks, compromising their integrity, etc. People like Criss Angel and David Blaine use tricks that have simple methods almost all of the time. Some of the less popular magicians (Jay Sankey, Penn & Teller, etc) usually are more creative with their methods and could make up tricks that many can not solve. I could watch pretty much any trick done by Blaine or Angel and tell you how it's done, but I've seen stuff from people like Jay Sankey that gave me headaches trying to figure out how they did it. I don't dislike Angel though. I just don't see him ever being able to compete with some of the more talented magicians. He is more showmanship than anything.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
I can't stand David Blaine, lol. All he does is recycle tricks that magicians did centuries ago before they had complex things like sawing women in half. Back then, they did them on stage. He just brings them to the streets. I like Criss Angel though.

The thing is, the magic industry is like the music industry. The people who are appealing to the people instead of focusing more on being the best at what they do get all the fame. Anything that gets commercialized will get watered down without a doubt. 90% of the magic, rock & roll, hip-hop, etc, you see on TV these days can't compare to the people doing the same things underground, but choose talent over looks, compromising their integrity, etc. People like Criss Angel and David Blaine use tricks that have simple methods almost all of the time. Some of the less popular magicians (Jay Sankey, Penn & Teller, etc) usually are more creative with their methods and could make up tricks that many can not solve. I could watch pretty much any trick done by Blaine or Angel and tell you how it's done, but I've seen stuff from people like Jay Sankey that gave me headaches trying to figure out how they did it. I don't dislike Angel though. I just don't see him ever being able to compete with some of the more talented magicians. He is more showmanship than anything.
Ahhh but to me the showmanship is part of the all around "feel" and "fun" of magic. I do like Penn & Teller as well. To me, the best magicians are also fantastic actors and that usually means not only performing good tricks but also "selling" them with your acting. I think David Blaine as well as Kriss Angel are better actors than magicians yet they are very capable of selling their tricks to anyone on the street and that's what impresses me. It's not easy to walk up to someone on the street and just "Wow" them and capture their attention. There's something to be said for that, in my opinion. Stage shows always seem so much less impromptu. I guess that's just my opinion. Ok, now that this subject has gone WAY off topic I apologize.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:01 PM

2,955 posts, read 6,943,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i love those shows! and i really believe that the police depts do utilize psychics. i think they try to solve the case themselves and if they get stumped ask for help from a psychic they may have "on staff".
No way. Most police hate psychics as do most forensic investigators.
Are psychics used? Absolutely. They do occasionally help.
But almost always they are hired by a missing or dead persons' family.
Police might elect to use them in high profile cases that cannot end but that they have no leads on.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:15 PM

3,798 posts, read 6,377,941 times
June and Montana,

You two are adorable, I can't think of any other word. Thanks for letting us read your sweet words towards one another. Too cute! And might I add inspirational. Love has a wonderful vibration and I'm feel'n the love you two have. Thanks!

PS I think psychic ability is a gift that we all have, some of us are tuned in and some of us are tuned out.

Old 03-29-2008, 10:17 PM

7,874 posts, read 11,215,496 times
Default Sweet Montana: We're adorable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
June and Montana,

You two are adorable,

<--- Smile of adorable endearment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal